Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-22-2000, 04:00 PM

Question

Believe it or not, I need to lower the stall speed that my converter is giving. It's in a daily driven 360/998(lock up)police M-Body. It's got around a 1900/2100rpm stall,which is great out of the hole, but I'm loosing major throttle response in a daily driving situation. I built the engine up for heavy towing but it seems the converter would not be well suited for that application. Also, I'm only getting 8mpg.
I recently brought the converter back to the manufacturer, Pro Torque, and they told me it was not possible to lower the stall speed any more than what it currently is. Even if they built another one from scratch. Could they be right? A bone stock converter would feel nice and tight, no?
Old 03-23-2000, 07:05 AM
Inactive User

Some companies offer specific towing converters that I think are tighter and have lower stall speed. I think also that the lock up converters have a lower stall speed, but of course you need the lock up trans too. If they are really building the converters and not just rebuilding them, they should be able to make one with a lower stall speed. And if they can't do that, there are companies that can. Be prepared to pay for the job, though.
Old 03-26-2000, 04:50 PM
Inactive User

Solution is to buy a low stall (RV/Towing) converter. The RV/Towing converter for a Big Block only costs about $100 from any parts store. You don't want stall with a towing set up, it will ruin the transmission because the slip in the converter will cause heat - which will cook the transmission. One thing is what are you rear end gears? If you are getting lousy mileage your final drive ratio (corrected with tire size) may be around 2.50 or lower. The police cars are typically geared very high (2.76) and with a 225 70 15 the ratio would be way too low (2.30???). You would get lousy mileage and it wouldn't pull anything.