Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-10-2000, 01:05 AM

I put together a 318 out of a '77 Fury for my Volare. I left the A/C off for obvious reasons and now the belts aren't running right. All the pulleys line up, but the crank to alt belt is rubbing the bottom of the waterpump and the pulley is too close to the fan pulley to get the belt over the fan pulley w/o removing the fan. I don't want to sound like a total idiot on this board, but I'm totally confused. I'm trying to avoid a trip to the junkyard just to find and look at one of these cars when I could be getting her running. Does anyone know if I need different pulleys, different brackets, shims for the brackets or a different waterpump (I really hope not on that one). This is my first major project and things have gone fairly well to this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-10-2000, 03:14 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

Biggrin

I can help you but first I need to make sure of what you have so answer a couple of questions first.

1. Do you have two belts running on the altenator?

2. Where is the fan belt running to?

3. Do you have Power Steering?

1st comment is if your water pump pulley will line up with the altenator then run the alternator and water pump from the same belt to the crank if they dont then you will need a new water pump PULLEY. Easiest place to find a pulley will be a Salvage Yard. If you can find one I have a few extras I think. I am sure a few others here will have some too.
If you have an idler pulley then you dont need it anymore.
If you have power steering it is a seperate belt to the crank alone.
You should only need two belts and thats if you have pwer steering, with out power steering you only need one belt. You only need one on the alternator now. The two belts on the alternator were for the A/C compressor. The routing of the alternator belt should be for the crank, water pump, and alternator.

Christian

------------------
68 'Cuda 383 Working on adding EFI
69 'Cuda Race Parts Car
76 Duster 273 recent transplant
95 Neon 2.0 SOHC best of 16.96
84 Dodge Ram D50 transplanting 360
Old 03-12-2000, 06:21 AM

Hey ChristianCuda -

I had this message typed last night when my ISP booted me - let me try to get it the way I had it last night.

To answer your question, I've only one belt going to the alt., although I got a double pulley alternator.

Yes, I do have PS,

It appears the two belts should route like this: the fan belt (waterpump) pulley lines up w/ the PS pump and the crank pulley lines up w/ the alt.

Problem 1: The crank pulley has three grooves (I imagine one was for the pollution pump and one was for the A/C?) The center groove lines up w/ the alt, but this close to the waterpump - it rubs the waterpump. I could drop the alt to the bottom end of the bracket, and perhaps it would work (clear the belt), but that seems like the incorrect way of doing it. Anyway, this leads to problem 2 which is the clearance - or lack of clearance between the waterpump pulley and the crank pulley... to change the alt. belt, I would have to pull the fan/pulley off.

I have no idler pulley - and your mention of one answers a discussion my buddy and I were having about the existence of them!

I hope this makes sense to you - I'm doing it from memory right now and exhausted. Let me know if you can help in any way.

Thanks

Ken

Old 03-12-2000, 02:20 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Pentastar,Welcome to the club! I had the same problem as you did and it drove me nuts.
What you need to do is get a single groove water pump pulley and a 2 groove crank pulley from a non-A/C car. I tried just replacing the water pump pulley but it rubs on the larger crank pulley. I have heard of people trying to shim them certain ways with the wrong pulleys and get them to work somehow but your better off with the correct ones.I actually had trouble finding the pulleys for a decent price.Some of the big salvage yards were going to charge insane prices like $50-$70 for a used pulley.I checked around with local guys and got one for $10 and one for $5.And like ChristianCuda said the alternator, water pump and crank are on one belt and the power steering belt just goes around the crank pulley. On my car the alternator bracket was different than on non A/C cars so I changed that also.Year one and places like that usually have the correct brackets. The best thing to do is look at a non A/C car like yours or pictures to see exactly how it should be. I hope this helps.
Old 03-12-2000, 04:27 PM
Inactive User

On a non AC motor, the crank pulley, water pump pulley and alternator pulley should line up and all run on one belt. Run this way, the alternator belt cannot rub on the water pump. The PS pulley should NOT line up with the water pump pulley, but should be on its own belt to the crank pulley. You just need to find a set of non-AC pulleys plus, if I remember correctly, the non-AC alternator bracket is different too. Also, you might need to pick up a PS bracket to match your other pulleys/brackets. Doesn't really make any difference what car these pulleys/brackets come from so long as they are from a motor with the long (aluminum) waterpump, which I assume you have, rather than the early type short (cast iron) pump, and also so long as the power steering pump on the motor is the same kind as yours. (Saginaw and Federal use different mounting brackets.)
Old 03-12-2000, 05:25 PM

Thanks a lot guys - this is just another example of Mopar guys sticking together - I honestly don'w know if Brand X guys are as friendly or willing to help out.

Woke up to rain yesterday and snow today, so the trip to the boneyard will be delayed until next weekend, but at least now, I know what I'm going to need. It's reassuring to know I have to change pulleys and brackets and not the waterpump.

Thanks again

Ken
Old 03-13-2000, 05:14 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

Pentastar I think the only pulley you need to change is the Water pump Pulley. The rest will be ok. You need the deep Water Pump Pulley. I believe the one you have is the shallow pulley. I have both and if you cant find the correct water pump pulley let me know I have a ton of them. If you pay the shipping you can have it. I always try to help out fellow mopars.

Christian

------------------
68 'Cuda 383 Working on adding EFI
69 'Cuda Race Parts Car
76 Duster 273 recent transplant
95 Neon 2.0 SOHC best of 16.96
84 Dodge Ram D50 transplanting 360
Old 03-13-2000, 06:32 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Pentastar, You can try doing it like ChristianCuda said without changing the crank pulley but if it is like my old crank pulley it is larger and will rub with the new water pump pulley. If your gonna get a pulley you might as well get a crank pulley just in case. I started with just the water pulley and it didnt work. Mine was a 383 so maybe the crank pulley is different and will work. Just trying to save you the headaches I exprienced. Let us know how it worked out.
Old 03-14-2000, 01:52 AM

Hey ChristianCuda -

Let me know what the shipping is and I'll give it a shot - it can't hurt, right? Thanks, a lot.

E-mail me at white_mopar@hotmail.com

I'll keep the board posted of how this is going. THANKS AGAIN

Ken
Old 03-14-2000, 07:28 PM

ChristianCuda,
It looks like I will be in a similar position. I am transplanting a 440 from a '72 lux car with AC to a '73 Barracuda that originally was a 318. The engine came with a 4 groove crank pulley, idler setup, and the water pump pulley is 5-1/4" diameter and 1-3/16" total width (shallow offset?).

The Barracuda has PS, but no AC. Can you (or anyone) sell me the crank and water pump pulleys for a non-AC, PS setup?

Thanks,
hanrahan@radix.net
southern Maryland

------------------
440 Jim
E-Body Fish
Old 04-02-2000, 05:00 AM

Biggrin

All right guys -

Thanks again for all of your help on this... the weather was finally on my side, so I went to the local boneyard and found a late 70's P/U, plain jane 318. I took EVERYTHING just to be safe, but I could have gotten away with just the crank and WP pulleys, but this truck was using a lot of oil, so everything was coated real nice. I cleaned everything, painted it, and replaced the painted-over pitted brackets originally on the car.

She finally looks like something that might actually run now, those belts really make a difference. Now, just have to figure out the TQ lines and some miscellaneous wiring - I've already warned the neighbors I'm going to be firing her up soon and she has open headers.

Thanks again - this board really came through for me on this.