Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-13-1999, 11:59 PM
Justin

I recently acquired a '54 Barracuda with no drivetrain. It was originally equipped with a 273 and I was planning to install a new 360 crate engine. I want to use the car as a daily driver so I'm leaning towards a modern 4 speed A/T (like an A-500 or A-518). Can anyone offer any suggestions? I want to minimize the amount of modifications I'd need to do. I'd also like something that I can link to the existing push-button transmission selector...Thanks!
Old 06-14-1999, 12:00 AM
Justin

I acquired a '64 Barracuda..not a '54. That would be quite a find, wouldn't it??
Old 06-14-1999, 02:29 AM
Christopher

If you are sticking with the push button selector,your stuck with what you've got.Putting in the 500/518 is major surgery on the tunnel and floorpans.What I'd go with is a nice beefed up A-999 trans (H.D.904) and maybe look into the Gear Vendors overdrive kit if you really want O/D,and that would depend on what rear gears youare going to use.Also the early '64 converter wont work with the late 360,due to the differences in the converter hub.I think there is a fix for this,but I will have to look in my notes for this info.But again,a crate engine and a A-999 is what I'd do.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:04 AM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

wow transmission 65 cuda advice

Good luck with your newly acquired wheels. Parts are somewhat difficult to find and most of the time when you do find it very pricey. But what old car is cheap? I would suggest going with the a-999 transmission. They can be found in the mid to late 70's Cordoba's and 300's. Could possibly be in others also. I've found them with the 360's both 2bbl and 4bbl models. Use the cordoba crossmember it bolts right in with no modifications. I installed a driveshaft from an 1980's AMC Concord with a 4-cylinder. It's the perfect length but has a shorter splined u-joint for the tailshaft. Take the front u-joint from the cordoba. For shifting purposes you have to get a later floor shifter or an aftermarket one. If your barracuda has power steering like mine does you'll have a slight problem with your exhaust manifolds. The ports are smaller on the 273's than the 360's. I got away with it by welding or plugging the emission holes on the head under the exhaust ports and going with a double exhaust manifold gasket. There is also an extra rib on the block of the 360 that the drivers side manifold will hit and not want to sit flat. I ground the rib off. If you have manual steering do yourself the favor and get the SPITFIRE headers. My A-999 (never rebuilt with 80,000 miles installed 14 years ago) has outlasted 4-360's,3-318's and now back to an original 273. It can handle lots of abuse!! You don't want to know what I did to get the 273 hooked up to the a-999 transmission. The 273 has a 1 1/2" hub on the converter and all the other small block la motors have a 2" hub. They sell a bushing for you to use your 360 with the original a-904. the 904 transmission and converter isn't made for the torque. went through a few rebuilds until I learned my lesson. The kickdown cable needs to be different. Dump the rods and get the LOCKAR cable. I think it's spelled that way. I use my original 273 engine mounts and add washers to the drivers side where it bolts to the engine. Any questions and I'd be glad to help, I spent a lot of time figuring all this out and wouldn't want someone else to do the same. My E-mail is "65cudajay@ureach.com" Good luck