Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-31-2000, 03:33 PM
Inactive User

I recently purchased a Painless Wiring 50001 wiring harness and a 50201 switch control center. These will be installed in my 1973 Duster, hopefully this weekend.
The question is this - there's a starter relay under the hood of this car. But the 50001 harness includes a fuse/relay box, which also has a relay for the starter. Will this relay replace the stock starter relay, or will I need to use both of them? The instructions with the harness isn't very clear on this, the only place the Mopar starter relay is mentioned is in the section for wiring an ammeter.

If anybody has any experience with this harness, or knows what I'd talking about, I'd appreciate the advice.

Old 04-03-2000, 08:08 AM
Inactive User

Hi MikelBeck,

While I have no DIRECT experience with your specific wiring set, I recently purchased an Elect. Fuel Pump wiring harness that was made by Painless...Nice touch having each of the wires marked with it's use!

But, If I were hooking this up, I would prefer to keep the relay and the high current/big ass wire connections in the factory location (under the hood.) On the other hand, I'm sure the guys at painless have worked this all out, so definitly do not change anything UNTIL YOU GET IT INSTALLED AND WORKING! Leave your old starter relay where it is for now (un-wired), and just follow the directions to the letter- and use the new relay setup. If you run into any snags, it will be easier to talk to the folks at Painless that way. If, after you have everything working and you still want the old relay/starter wiring, you can modify it to work using the old setup.

Good luck, and let me know how it works! Was this wiring for a Mopar application, or is it a "Universal" setup?

Tim
Old 04-03-2000, 04:17 PM
Inactive User

Tim,

I spoke with a tech at Painless who told me that I need to keep the stock relay. So, I will... ;-)

The package I bought is the "8 circuit racecar" harness, it's wired for ignition, starter, lights, fuel pump 1, fuel pump 2, electric fan, water pump and one accessory. I don't think Painless makes a Mopar-specific package.