Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-09-1999, 06:03 PM
Inactive User

This is the second Ram I have owned that has had "hot spots" on the rotors. This time, I am feeling them with less than 3000 miles on the truck. It feels like you are driving over a washboard when you stop, but the steering wheel does not move at all, the truck just bounces. I was told that the rotors were improved for 1999, but they are not! Would aftermarket rotors or vented rotors cure this problem?
Old 12-09-1999, 06:43 PM

What year/model is your Ram? It's a '99? And after how many miles did this problem appear? The reason I'm asking is my dad has a '99 Ram Sport and I think he mentioned something similar happening on his.
Old 12-09-1999, 07:57 PM
Inactive User

This is becoming a common problem with us mopar freaks that drive our vehicles to the limit.I recently solved this problem by cross drilling a set of new rotors.Here's whats happening,as the pads contact the rotors the temp rises,after repeated uses the pad temp "overheats" and start to "outgas" that is to expand under heat which produces gas,this gas has nowhere to go,which in turn superheats both pad and rotor,by crossdrilling the rotors you've given the gas somewhere to go while also increasing the cooling capabilities of the rotor.To answer your 2nd question no one makes a vented rotor as this would reqiure a different caliper and mount besides being very expensive.The real world solution is cross-drilled rotors and kevlar pads.I can supply them if your interested e-mail me with detailed vehicle info and I'll get back to you with a quote.....PRO..
Old 12-10-1999, 01:56 AM
Moderate anarchist

Horsefeathers, poor engineering is the reason. My 87 Diplomat has a serious braking system, 11.75" vented rotors, 11x2.5" finned drums. I run organic pads and shoes, only. I never overheat my brakes and I'll venture to say my 150 mile round trip to work is as hard as, if not harder than, anyone's. I drive the crap out of my cars and they are built to take it. I don't run semi-metallics cause they chew up rotors and my system doesn't get hot enough to need them.

The problem is undersized parts for the heat load. Since you really can't upsize the parts you have to increase the cooling. Look in the more recent issues of Mopar Muscle (I think) and they show you how to fab a simple cooling scoop for the rotors. That'll help and won't cost $$$ for spaceage crap.

Steve
Old 12-10-1999, 03:13 AM

at web site dodgeram.com they have a tsb listed that talks about front brake wear. this may or may not work for you but i would try it. look for tsb 05-04-97. if you can not find it i have it and will post it soon.
good luck
Old 12-10-1999, 07:30 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for all your replies. I will get to work on this tomorrow! This has been a big help.
Old 04-03-2000, 01:02 AM

Try baer claw brakes
Old 04-04-2000, 02:50 AM
Inactive User

I got a easy fix: AutoZone. Buy a set of life time warenty pads for something like $15 and you never have to pay for another set again. When they wear out just bring them back and they replace them for free. My 91 ram does bounce a little but its not bad. Ive over heated the rotors alot and ive smoked them a few times, they seem to hold up as good as any other trucks.