Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-05-2000, 06:55 PM
Inactive User

my 440 has a cast crank , i just would like to know if i bought a steel or found a steel crank , can i just swap the two without getting some machine work done to the block? also , is it possible to get the block drilled for cross bolt mains? thanks
Old 04-05-2000, 11:21 PM
Inactive User

From my understanding yes you can switch the cranks. Remember to get the balancer for the forged crank as they are set up for internal balance instead of external.

You can also use the coss bolt mains, but why? Unless you are over 600hp the bottom end will be fine. Remember you aren't dealing with those cheap metal castings that Chevy uses for their block and heads. Besides from an engineering standpoint the Mopar design is superior.
Old 04-06-2000, 11:04 AM

Exclamation

Hi Duster440

If you are about to change the pistons (0.030" overbore, cast to forged etc) they may weight more or less than the originals. So the balance of the internal parts will be way off. And the engine will vibrate in certain RPMs.

Most guys just ignore that, but the stock engines in stock trim didn´t vibrate when delivered. And well done racing engines are balanced again before the assembly....

And one more thing: some cast crank 440´s require balance weights welded in the torque converter, too. Well, when switching to forged crank and the right damper you can just remove the old converter´s weight pads, thus making it "zero-balance" thing. (Been there, done that ;-) But the other way around (from forged to cast parts) you just better get the internals balanced.

Just my 2 cents
Old 04-06-2000, 11:45 AM
Inactive User

how would i go about balancing the internals? what 440 blocks had steel cranks in them?? i would like to get one due to the balancing factor , but if not , is it possible for the cast crank and ext balancing to work until i find a crank? if i want to put higher compression pistons in it , what do i have to get balanced? do i just get weights for the flywheel(4spd) and the harmonic balancer?? thanks.
Old 04-06-2000, 01:29 PM

Thumbs up

Your best case would be:

- You have a crank, rods, bearings, pistons, rings, harmonic balancer, flex plate or flywheel already bought

- You take them to a pro balance / machine shop, they will take care of the rest

- if some above mentioned items are still missing, do not go to the machine shop, yet

My 2 cents.
Old 04-06-2000, 05:39 PM
Inactive User

Why bother in the first place??? A cast crank will handle 500+ hp and from the sounds of your questions you aren't making anywhere near that amount now. If you're planning to build up a race motor in the future then maybe you should find yourself a steel crank, otherwise, use what you have. Swapping cranks will cost you a bunch of money and time and it won't make the car any faster.
Old 04-06-2000, 06:15 PM

Duster440, other stuff You asked:

- about which engines had the forged crank: well, try this link for starters http://www.pernet.net/~scotty/brb_engine_decoding.htm

- if You first balance the engine with cast crank and stuff and later want to change to forged crank the whole thing must be balanced again. Sorry. That´s like doing a whole new engine, You just can´t do a balance job once and forget about it, rather You have to go through balancing costs every time some internal parts are changed. No wonder most guys skip the balancing... :-(

- You know, the whole engine torn apart, hone the bores, buy new rings, buy new gaskets and bearings, take the damper/crank/1 single rod and it´s piston and rings and 1 pair of rod bearings and the flywheel to the pro shop, the actual balancing costs, take the parts back home and assemle the engine... and then some

- so I think You want to go through that hassle only once, so get the final assembly ie. crank and damper and flywheel already in the first place

- an internally balanced engine is more fun ´cause You can change the flywheel/converter anyway later when You want without vibrating problems

Just my 2 cent
Old 04-07-2000, 06:21 PM
Inactive User

Like 451 boy said why change cranks? Most Ford and Chevy guys use cast cranks. I know some that spin 8000+ in 500+ HP engines and still use cast cranks with no problems.

------------------
Check out http://www.donet.com/bemiller/ and let me know what you think!!