Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-28-1999, 08:38 PM
Inactive User

I posted this on the Jeep and Truck page too....
As the subject title suggests I need an education....
Let me give you some background, I'm pretty well-versed in SBC's, but have picked up a Dodge MotorHome on a 1ton chassis with a trashed 360 in it (actually valve cover says "361", is this just a designation for a truck block?)

The motor was run without oil until the oil pump came apart, I don't have it out yet, but assume the worst inside (overheated mains and rods) so probably will need a align bore, resize the rods, hopefully just a .030 overbore, most likely new lifters, cam too, soooooo this is where my lack of Mopar knowledge comes in.

1. What's a good reference manual for rebuilding Mopar motors for clearances and such?

2. Where can I find info on decent heads for this motor? It's a '74 vintage taht needs to pass smog in Ca., so I need egr ports, but I know there has to be better stuff out now that can bolt on, my experience with mid-70's motors and heads are low compression, large combustion chambers and small valves that hurt performance and economy.

3. Assuming I decide to ditch this motor, what's compatible in todays motors that Dodge has out that is a direct bolt in? For ease and cost I'll probably stick with the carb setup, although if a EFI setup wasn't too painful I'd definitely go that route, which again...which type of vehicle would I want to find it from?

I'll have more questions coming up as far as "how-to" on the engine build for lowend torque to move this big sled, and be looking on advice for cam grinds and such to consider.

Thanks,

Mike

BTW, my 1st Mopar is a '31 Dodge 1/2 PU. Still working on it in my spare time, undergoing a complate frame-off resto.

Old 12-28-1999, 10:20 PM
Inactive User

First thing to determine is if you have a 360, which was a factory installed motor in '74, or a 361 which was discontinued several years before your motorhome was built. The 360 is a LA block and is related to the 318 and 340. The 361 is a B block and is related to the 383 and 400.

My favorite book for the LA engine is "How to rebuild your small-block Mopar" by Don Taylor and Larry Hofer. It's available at most book stores and many auto parts stores. There is another book for the B and RB engines, but I don't have the name handy.

The best source for finding part numbers and casting numbers is the Mopar engine manual which is available from any Mopar dealer. It has a wealth of info and good ideas for upgrading and tweaking both the small block and big block engines. It's well worth the price.

Welcome to the Mopar camp. You'll find a lot of help on this forum.
Old 12-28-1999, 11:29 PM

361 was also the designation for the 360 industrial smallblock. i worked on alot of older machines that used it. Tucker Sno-Cat used them for years in there snow grooming machines. i didnt know they were put in anything for the street though. by the way, if anyone runs into any tucker sno-cats, they came factory with 8 3/4 sure grips front and rear. they all used chrysler drivetrains right out of a truck. the 60's versions used /6's, later models used the "361" until they switched to the detroit diesel in the mid-80's.
Old 12-28-1999, 11:43 PM
Inactive User

Your 361 is definitely a BB,(dist at RF of motor (if your sitting in drivers seat))in 74 its considered an industrial engine(available up to 1978) which mainly means the heads/int/exh are different.If the dist is in the middle rear of the motor its a 360 and typical as far as rebuilding is concerned.As such there isnt much Industrial rebuild info available although the short block doesnt differ whatsoever from the pass car 361,this is a shared family of engines including 361,383,400, everything w/biggger displacement(413,426(not hemi),440) shares the same motor moumt/bellhousing configuration but has a higher deck heigth and is considered interchangeable.So you have a lot of options.Your oil pump is external located directly behind the oil filter.The 361 is a short stroke and will do nicely in your 1 ton,but keep in mind you can rebuild a 440 for the same money and it bolts right in.Your machine shop will have all machine specs,the previous mentioned book will be totally accurate as far as the short block goes.The heads are really a no brainer,just have a 30* valve job done instead of a 45*.If its equipped w/a 2bbl you may be stuck as the industrial intake has a water passage in it,you could by pass it and run a 383-400 4bbl intake.its not too hard.my personal opinion is to swap in a 74 or later 440 for 2 reasons,you insure your emissions certification and gain some hp.Good luck...PRO...

[This message has been edited by PRO (edited December 28, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by PRO (edited December 28, 1999).]
Old 12-29-1999, 12:15 AM

although i'm aware of the 361 b motors, the 361 i'm refering to was made by the marine div. and is definitely a smallblock. actually a 360 with beefier bottom end.
Old 12-29-1999, 01:12 AM
Inactive User

A wealth of info is right! Looks like I need to figure out what the heck I have in it, there's an emission sticker for year models on the windshied with info about the 360, on the valve cover I recall a sticker with info about 361.

It does have a 2bbl in it, but for the life of me I can't recall the distributor location (it's at my folks place about 2 hours away) but will take a look at it this weekend.

I'm hoping for the 440 block match up, I like that idea much better , as long as I have room under the tunnel cover.

Thanks again,

I'll definitely be back soon for more recommedations.

Old 04-08-2000, 12:51 AM
Inactive User

Well,

It's sure been awhile since I last was here, I finally got around to pulling my motor (it is a 360, not 361) and found a hole in the oil pan with part of the rod sticking out.

I'm about certain that I'd rather buy a crate motor and stick in it, rather that go thruogh this block, other than an obvius miss when I fired it up (before pulling it and noticing the hole in the pan) she had no oil pressure, I don't know how long it was run like this, so I figure I'm at least looking at a crank kit, who knows what the bores are like, and the top end without oil....so is there any info available for Mopar crate motors? What should i expect to pay for a 360? Is there a low performance (all I've been able to find are "magnum" motors, and the prices are kinda steep, besides, it's probably too much motor for a motorhome anyway...anyone have any leads I can follow up on? Otherwise I'll probably hit the wrecking yards looking for a good block to go through.

Thanks