Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-05-2000, 06:05 AM
Inactive User

Angry

I just put in a new motor, new crome ecu box new dist, new plugs, When I fist tryed to fire the motor I noticed I had no spark after tinkering around with it it finally fired, today 30 miles later it up and quite, it would start and run as long as the I had the key in the start posis. as soon as i let up into the run pos, it died after much cussing and tracing I found the balast resistor was bad, after replacing it turned the key into the run pos and it got hot, if I unplug the conector to the dist and coil my test light is bright as soon as I plug in the conector it is dim, I run a accell supercoil and if I jump power to the coil everything looks ok but it still doesn't start or run. any suggestions thanks
Old 04-07-2000, 03:34 AM

Rockhopper:
Whenever you replace a ballast resistor it heats up initially. With the chrome box you might want to try the Accel coil #140306. Make sure to check your ECU for a good ground. Ground the motor to frame and the ECU to the block. With this ECU I used the constant voltage regulator also. Hope this helps. Wedgehead
Old 04-07-2000, 05:02 AM

ECU? bypass that ballast resistor. The only reason its there is to save points, and You have none!
Old 04-07-2000, 11:54 PM
Inactive User

Cool

Don't know what year you're dealling with, but I just installed a Mopar performance ECU and dist. Thus deleting the electronic spark advance module. Some mopars have a dual pick up dist. In which case they have a start pick-up and a run pick-up. The wiring for the single pick-up is fairly simple. At the ECU you should have 4 or 5 wires. If there's 5 the green wire isn't used. The rest go like this: Black/yellow to neg. post on the coil, blue/yellow to ballast resistor, at the same terminal of the blue wire a wire needs to go to the main ignition feed find this one at the firewall when the key is turned on. The other terminal of the ballast resistor is connected to the positive post on the coil and also to the starter relay at the terminal marked BAL. And as the other person said check your grounds. If nothing else run a ground from the ECU mounting screw to the engine block itself. Hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2000, 09:05 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for all the help, I got it running, the only prob is I don't know what I did I still did not find any sort of prob's everything (start, and duel pick up realy's, ecu and balast,) Ohmed out fine the only and last thing I messed with before it started was the fild wires to the altinator, I tightened them down they were loose, has anyone ever heard of your altinator wires keeping you car from running, I hope I don't get to MOAB and have this thing pull the same stunt, Thanks again

------------------
ROCKHOPPER
President
Sport-N-Utes 4X4 Club
Salt Lake City Utah.
rockenram82@hotmail.com