Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-15-2000, 12:42 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Well me and my buddy who a cheby pushin 425 horse and me pushing 300 horse we where driving up the local bypass when he GOT on it! Well i knew i could keep up but i tried so i pushed it up to 4,000rpm and i held a pop so i let off. One pop thats all! Well i backed of and checked the obivous, fuel lines, oil, evrything! Nothing changed in the tone of the car or engine! Could it have been nothing to worry about! i mean i pull 4,500rpm all the time! Was it a fluke!?
It's a 318, Cammed, new vlave springs,locks,retainers,rockers,headers dual flowmasters, holley 650 carb, ld4b intake, stock 2-bbl heads! Well i will pull the plugs tomorrow since i just put in new accel's!

[This message has been edited by Dart_340_Swinger (edited April 14, 2000).]
Old 04-15-2000, 03:56 PM
Inactive User

I have a dart with a 318 and a 750 holley. I know that a set of bad plugs will cause this. I used to have my vacuume adavance disconnected, which caused my initial timing to be low. After a few days of putt putting around it would start to backfire through the carberator when you would get on it. The problem was so bad that it distroyed my eledebrock filter element(It litterly melted it). After I changed the plugs, everything was fine for a few more days. Then it did the same thing again. So I then pluged my vacuume advance into my carb and havent had the problem since.
Old 04-15-2000, 09:34 PM
Inactive User

I've had plug wires do the same thing. They usually would begin missing at a certain R.P.M. and keep on missing at anything over that. Very high resistance from an "open" wire.
Old 04-18-2000, 03:44 AM

Same thing on my 318. Pushrod went through the rocker arm. One loud "POP". Still ran pretty smooth. The pushrod was jammed in the rocker arm and was slightly activating the valve.