Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Slant Six Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-15-2000, 07:57 AM
Inactive User

hello, Has anyone ever tryed the offy dual 1BBL manifold on a /6? Does it work better or worse then the stock "Super Six" 1 2bbl manifold? I know the dual setup will me harder to tune but does it net overall better performace? I will be slipping in a compcam cam also. thanks
Old 04-15-2000, 09:51 AM
Self proclaimed expert

Thumbs up

I would definately go with the dual 1bbl setup. I am no expert on /6s but there is a good sound reason for the dual 1bbl setup. In a /6 the manifold creates a rich mixture on the center cylinders and a lean mixture on the end cylinders. I know it isn't a MOPAR but a friend of mine burned a whole in a piston of his Falcons straight 6 because he thought that just because it ran good his 35year old engine could do 95mph for hours on end. WRONG! when we pulled the head you could see that the center two cylinders were black and greasy the next two looked real good and on the end, one looked burnt and the other had a big hole in it. If you are gonna run your /6 hard. The dual 1bbl setup will lessen the chances of running lean at high rpms on some cylinders. Not that I've ever heard of a /6 having any breakdowns because of this but why chance it? Besides, it looks cool.
Old 04-15-2000, 02:37 PM

Multiple carbs need to be synchronized, do you have access to a synchronizer for the carbs. If not, most motorcycle shops have them.
BB
Old 04-16-2000, 06:45 AM
Inactive User

With the long stroke of 4.120 the head is the key to making power because of the amount of air it takes to fill the cylinder with the long stroke,the /6 head is so badly restricked it causes the motor to run rich because of the bad flow numbers so a 2bbl is your best bet for a stock /6.Now if you open the bowls and ports and deshroud around the valves and use a good stainless swirl polish valve around .200 larger you can run alot more cfm's threw the head but the question is how much?alot of guy's use 3-side draft webbers and is vary expensive but it run's good ,vary good!but you would need a longer duration cam to get the rpm's up and a good flowing head.I like to go with 2-2bbl carb's as soon as i can find a manifold ,i seen one last year at a swop meet but didn't have the cash at the time.the ends of the runners came to a bottle neck so i would have to open them up to match the ports that i already open on the cylinder head and fab up some kind of linkage .i already have the carb's so it shouldn't cost to much .I'm going to use a o-2 sencer a digital volt meter and a vacume gage to set the carbs so they don't run to rich or lean to dial it in. And a larger cam and headers .I like the 2.2 pistons and a good price too,and i like the 198 rods also .
Old 04-16-2000, 07:26 AM
Inactive User

GUAM; Ive seen this on the few slant 6's i have here. The iner ones are all black and nasty and as you go out the outer ones look like there where running lean. And I plan on beating the snot out of my /6 every day i drive it

Tim_K; What page?!? The thred on this site? I read that and got lost, also i posted this same Q and never got a reply :-/

Speedy; I was eyeing this CompCam:
GRIND NUMBER: CR6 264S-10
ENGINE: CHRY 6 CYL 170-225
INTAKE EXHAUST
VALVE ADJUSTMENT .010 .012
GROSS VALVE LIFT .440 .440
.020 TAPPET LIFT 264 264
VALVE TIMING OPEN CLOSE
AT .020 INT 24 BTDC 60 ABDC
EXH 60 BBDC 24 ATDC
THESE SPECS ARE FOR CAM INSTALLED
AT 106 INTAKE CENTER LINE
INTAKE EXHAUST
DURATION AT .050 220 220
LOBE LIFT .2933 .2933
LOBE SEPARATION 110
What do you think? Should I look for a different one? I will be porting the head and having a valve job done. And maybe bigger valves if i got the cash. NOW, if I put the 2.2 pistons in with the 198 rods (i have a set) will this rase my CR? Or do i still need to shave the head? Will the 2.2's fit in the stock bore? If I don't go with the 2.2's how much should i shave off.. .060? I will also be putting on headers... This will be a weekend only car so i dont care if she gets crappy milage or idles ruff.
And if i blow up a few motors or mess them up its no big deal because i got 4 ok motors now and i can get more

Thanks ALOT for any info guys!
Old 04-17-2000, 05:15 AM
Inactive User

I like that cam both me a Tim thought that was a good grind and should make good power in the rite rpm range .the 2.2 pistons sit around .010 down from the deck so it would give you a good quench and less ping i figure around 9 1/2 to 1 or slightly higher .I haven't did the math yet but for every .006 off is = to 1cc .i think the stock pistons are .140 from the deck i'll check when i have more time .the 2.2 piston's are metric and i haven't did the math on that yet either i been working 12hr's a day and 6 on saterday's so it's hard to find the time to do anything lately.
Old 04-18-2000, 09:40 PM
Inactive User

Speedy thanks for the info. I have very little time also to play with my /6 and probbly wont get started on it for a few months. If you ever figger it out let me know. I would rather get the CR up that way then paying to have a ton shaved off a head.

Also, does anyone know what intake this is or who makes it?

That looks like it would work alot better then the other 4BBL intakes ive seen that put the carb real close to iner cyls and real far from the other ones.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2000, 10:11 PM
Inactive User

Wink

I've got a dual one barrel manifold w/linkage, but I'm not sure if its for a slant6. E-mail me if you want to see pics. Oh yeah its for sale!
vangogo@iname.com
Old 04-19-2000, 02:37 AM
Inactive User

Cralt that manifold is made by Doug Dultra out in Cal and it's a reproduction of the Hyper-Pac 4bbl intake that used a carter off a 273. nice picture of that Duster i think, i was wondering what that look like in the car but if you notice the car has no power brake booster to get in the way i don't think it will fit with the large boosters like on the f-body not sure .
Vangogo i mite be interested in that manifold is it the offy ?could you mesure the port's at the ends of the runners and see if they can be opened up to 1.500x1.200 and see if theirs room for 2bbl adapters or mill it to fit 2-2bbls in my machine shop at work and tap new holes for the studs .
ok now check this out what if you used 2- throttle bodies off a 2.4L that would be equel to a /6 .030 over a mild cam use a computer from a 5.0 and headers hhmmmm i bet that would roast the tires !!
Old 04-19-2000, 03:25 AM
Inactive User

Speedy: ohh, so thats what they look like.
I got that pic off the tailfins site, it is the feature car (has been for as long as i remember) and Doug dutra's site used to be hosted there but not anymore..tailfins seems dead now. Do you know how much he charges for the hyperpack manifold? Did he sell the molds to Clifordperformance? Im looking for something for a 73 scamp/abody WITH OUT power brakes.
Old 04-19-2000, 03:28 AM
Inactive User

Vangogo: As far as i know this is what a /6 2x1 looks like
Old 06-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Inactive User

very interested in your 2 x 1 intake . having trouble getting to you if you could help me out I would be very thankful. I am new to mopar chat, so any info I can get will be helpfull. thanks, theo of S J S S P.S. i CAN BE EMAILED
Old 06-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Big Tuna

Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo View Post
very interested in your 2 x 1 intake . having trouble getting to you if you could help me out I would be very thankful. I am new to mopar chat, so any info I can get will be helpfull. thanks, theo of S J S S P.S. i CAN BE EMAILED
Uhhhhh, this thread is 7 years old.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Inactive User

Default to whom it may concern, MOVING RIGHT ALONG!!!

thanks dschumers. my kids keep telling me to get out of the past and into this CENTURY (FINALLY). I didn't notice I was living in the past by seven years. Oh, well better late than never? Any way I am still, seven years later, looking for a / 6 2 x 1 intake for my 66 stepside rat truck. eventually , i will strip my 83 van I was given. It has an O D 4-speed.this would be cool for traveling and gas. I hope this has been funny to others, as I got a pretty good laugh myself. well I am now in the right time zone, does anyone know how to jump ahead 7 years? It might help, but I hope to find an intake before that!thanks, theo
Old 06-10-2007, 12:00 AM
Big Tuna

LOL

Those intakes are still available new, and used ones pop up now and then on www.slantsix.org .
Old 06-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Inactive User

Looks like lots of met there to machine and mount 2 progressive 2bbls. There was someone that did that. They went out of business. Summit sells the linkage.

www.offyparts.com

I would have bought the setup, my A/C compressor is in the way!