Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Classifieds > Vehicles Wanted > Rear Wheel Drive - Vehicles Wanted

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-06-2000, 01:32 AM

I'm looking for one good Duster. A '71 is preferred, but I'd take a '70 or '72 if the price is right. No other years. ANY vehicle to be considered MUST HAVE:
A clear title
The correct NON reproduction fender tag
The original buildsheet
The correct VIN tag properly secured in place
No irreversible or major modifications (wheel tubs, cut out inner fenders, etc.)
No excuses as to why the above mentioned items are not as I have specified.

As for other things, engine size or transmission type is not important. A floor shifter would be nice, it'd save me the trouble of finding the linkage elsewhere, but is not necessary. I'd prefer a driveable car, but that may not be necessary, either. I do not need or want a console assembly if it is a floor shift car.
What do I want this car for? I am going to build a Slant Six race car. Actually a street / strip car. A stock body, properly lightened, some fiberglass and aluminum parts. I owned a '73 Duster a few years ago, and I liked it. I want to get another Duster. It is one of the lightest A-bodies, and rear tire clearance is not a problem (like it is on Darts).
Now for the biggie: RUST. I understand that a 28-30 year old car may have a little rust. However, rust in ANY amount in the following places is unacceptable.
Frame Rails, Torsion bar crossmember, inner rocker panels, outer rocker panels. Inner wheelhouses, inner fender panels.
This is not to say I'm gonna take a car with rotted out quarters, or floors, or trunk. I could fix a little rust, but I'm not going to try fixing a rotted out body. No amount of Bondo or Fiberglass filler is something I want to see, but I'll think about where it is and how much is there.
Any car I come to see, you'd better expect from the start that I'm gonna be all over every inch, especially underneath with a high powered flashlight, a magnet, and screwdriver (to check any suspicious spots). Darn, you say, you lent your ramps to your cousin yesterday? No problem, I say, I'll have mine to put the car up on. Aside from the VIN tag, fender tag, and buildsheet, I know the 3 places where A bodies have the VIN stamped (and I'll be checking the 4th place I recently heard about too).

Here are the things that DON'T matter to me:
Rear axle size / type
Number matching status
Condition of interior (Now, I won't consider a car that had the interior set on fire and burned out by someone's drunk friend)

If you're one of those people (and I've met quite a few) that think you're gonna get twice the price because your car was Originally a 340 car instead of a 318 or 225, don't call me. I'm not interested in that, and I won't pay a premium for it.

All of this may sound a little extreme, but if you take the time to really read it, you'll see that I'm just looking for a nice, solid Duster with no significant (in my terms) body, title, or I.D. code problems. I just like to be really specific as to what I do and don't want to see.
So, if you have a car that qualifies (so far), type a message back. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2000, 11:32 PM

TimK,

I have a 73 Moonroof Duster. The car has 71 grille and fenders. The tailights where also converted to 71. The car is originally a 225, but there is no motor currently in place. The car is in fresh acrylic primer, with the engine bay already painted black. I have about 50 detailed photos of the car availible upon request. The car does have subframe connectors and inboard springs already installed. If this will fit the bill e-mail me and I will send you the photos.

SJS440@aol.com
Old 09-09-2000, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the offer, but I can't use it.
#1. It's a '73.
#2. The taillights were swapped.
#3. The springs were moved.
Old 09-11-2000, 01:59 AM
Inactive User

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim_K:
I'm looking for one good Duster. A '71 is preferred, but I'd take a '70 or '72 if the price is right. No other years. ANY vehicle to be considered MUST HAVE:
A clear title
The correct NON reproduction fender tag
The original buildsheet
The correct VIN tag properly secured in place
No irreversible or major modifications (wheel tubs, cut out inner fenders, etc.)
No excuses as to why the above mentioned items are not as I have specified.

As for other things, engine size or transmission type is not important. A floor shifter would be nice, it'd save me the trouble of finding the linkage elsewhere, but is not necessary. I'd prefer a driveable car, but that may not be necessary, either. I do not need or want a console assembly if it is a floor shift car.
What do I want this car for? I am going to build a Slant Six race car. Actually a street / strip car. A stock body, properly lightened, some fiberglass and aluminum parts. I owned a '73 Duster a few years ago, and I liked it. I want to get another Duster. It is one of the lightest A-bodies, and rear tire clearance is not a problem (like it is on Darts).
Now for the biggie: RUST. I understand that a 28-30 year old car may have a little rust. However, rust in ANY amount in the following places is unacceptable.
Frame Rails, Torsion bar crossmember, inner rocker panels, outer rocker panels. Inner wheelhouses, inner fender panels.
This is not to say I'm gonna take a car with rotted out quarters, or floors, or trunk. I could fix a little rust, but I'm not going to try fixing a rotted out body. No amount of Bondo or Fiberglass filler is something I want to see, but I'll think about where it is and how much is there.
Any car I come to see, you'd better expect from the start that I'm gonna be all over every inch, especially underneath with a high powered flashlight, a magnet, and screwdriver (to check any suspicious spots). Darn, you say, you lent your ramps to your cousin yesterday? No problem, I say, I'll have mine to put the car up on. Aside from the VIN tag, fender tag, and buildsheet, I know the 3 places where A bodies have the VIN stamped (and I'll be checking the 4th place I recently heard about too).

Here are the things that DON'T matter to me:
Rear axle size / type
Number matching status
Condition of interior (Now, I won't consider a car that had the interior set on fire and burned out by someone's drunk friend)

If you're one of those people (and I've met quite a few) that think you're gonna get twice the price because your car was Originally a 340 car instead of a 318 or 225, don't call me. I'm not interested in that, and I won't pay a premium for it.

All of this may sound a little extreme, but if you take the time to really read it, you'll see that I'm just looking for a nice, solid Duster with no significant (in my terms) body, title, or I.D. code problems. I just like to be really specific as to what I do and don't want to see.
So, if you have a car that qualifies (so far), type a message back. Thanks.

have 72 demon i think meets your request asking 7500.00 may be to steep for you not sure as 340 auto 83/4 posi rear fiberglass bumpers and deck lid no rust new quaters new fenders and doors frame tied in floor shift lexan frt and rear glass have org glass still
centerline wheels red with black vinyl top if interrested let me know

Old 09-11-2000, 07:40 PM

claggclg:
Thanks, but I can't use it.

#1. It's a Demon, not a Duster.
#2. It has had metal work done. New quarters and frame connectors put in.
#3. The price is WAY too high for what I want to spend.

I should take a minute here and update my original post. I am looking for a good, solid, unwrecked, STOCK, rolling body. No modifications, like wheel tubs or frame connectors. Price range? Under $2000, the more under the better. Well, I might spend $2000 to $2500, but it had better be practically an NOS Duster rolling body for that price. No engine or transmission, or for that matter, front clip, is necessary.

claggclg - Why did you go to all the trouble to quote my original post? You're just using up system memory unnecessarily. If people can't make the effort to scroll down to the original post, that's their problem.
Old 09-19-2000, 09:48 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

Tim I realize you are looking for a 71 but I have an unmolested 76 that you can look at for a last resort if you like.
Http://ThunderRacing.Knudstrup.net/

Goto the bottom and click on my duster pics.

Christian

Old 11-15-2000, 02:08 AM

Biggrin

Ok, official notice here. My Duster search is over.
While looking at Dusters available for sale on eBay, I found a good one for sale. It's a '74, but it is a one of 318 built 360 4 barrel 3 speed stick shift car. An E58 and a D13 on the fender tag. I won the auction on it for $255.05 total. Not bad. I had put in my earlier posts here that I'd spend up to $2000 or $2500, but I had no chance of getting that kind of cash and I knew it, so I was very lucky to get this VS29L4 car for my /6 race car project.

[This message has been edited by Tim_K (edited November 17, 2000).]
Old 11-17-2000, 09:40 PM

Biggrin

Well, the car is at my place now. In a LONG 17 hour trip, me and a friend of mine went on the 400 mile round trip to get the Duster. I learned that Route 35 in central Pennsylvania going north from exit 13 of the Pennsylvania Turnpike is one of the most dangerous roads on the planet. It goes right alongside the east edge of the Appalachian mountains (look on a map and see the contours of ALL the roads in that area). A narrow 2 lane for 60 miles through rural farmlands where a deer can jump out in front of you anywhere. After getting the car, and starting back towards home at sunset, my co-driver nearly got us killed diving into an S-turn with a downhill drop in the middle of it going way too fast. We felt the whole Duster and U-haul tow dolly slide sideways behind us, but somehow, nothing hit anything else. That cement wall was about a foot away from my passenger side window. Lucky we were in HIS truck, as I don't have one.
100 miles into the trip, headed west on the Turnpike, about a mile west of exit 11 with me driving, the right side tire of the tow dolly blew out. Had the whole truck vibrating until I looked across into the passenger's side mirror and saw the sparks flying all over the place. We had to wait a total of 3-1/2 hours for PennDOT towing company contract workers and a tire place to change the tire after they found a replacement, which they did in about 2 minutes with a floor jack and air wrench. We finally got home at 2 a.m. after leaving at 9 a.m. that morning. What an adventure. So now the VS29L4-something car is here, and on its way to becoming a /6 drag race car.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Inactive User

Default '71 Duster

I have a '71 Duster, Sublime green. It's in perfect condition, other than a six inch scratch on the side. I was selling it for around $40,000, but the because og the damage I'd settle for less. Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2007, 02:48 AM
Inactive User

trying to get my post count to 10 dont pay attention to this post.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:49 AM
Inactive User

trying to get my post count to 10
Old 06-09-2007, 02:51 AM
Inactive User

trying to get my post count to 10 so please pay no attention