Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-10-2000, 09:27 PM
Inactive User

does anyone have the web site that has the cppa headers on it
Old 04-11-2000, 02:42 AM
Inactive User

www.manciniracing.com ,i bought a pair of 2.0 cppa headers for my demon.I haven't put them on yet ,but they look nice.There is also a web site for big block a-body's that show a few cars with big bocks in them.www.bigblockdart.com.The 440 dart is bad!
Old 04-11-2000, 08:02 AM
Inactive User

I bought a set too about seven years ago, sold them after one year and have ever since been happy with fenderwells. They didn't tell they are tough to install for nothing. I had to put a few dinges to them to make them fit. The worst of the problems were the dents for the spark plugs, they were not all in the correct places and the plug wire boots actually touched some primaries. That means they didn't last. I tried to insulate them the best I could but nothing helped; after each run down the quarter it was time to change some wires. In the street they lasted longer, even one week could go without troubles. The only sensible way to use these headers is with Jacobs Ceramic plug wire boots, they should be able to take the heat. Of course they cost something too. If I wanted underchassis headers for an A-body, I wouldn't even take a look at the CPPA's, Schumacher tri-y's would be the way to go. Performance wise the CPPA 2" aren't that good either, they are very unequal length headers, the turns out of the heads are very steep and further restricted by the 'plug dent'. Just my thoughts, but true.
Old 04-12-2000, 05:03 PM
Inactive User

I have run the CPPA 2" headers for the past 2 1/2 years on one set of jacobs ceramic 90 degree angle booted wires without any problems.The only dents put in them were from a motor mount breaking.This is in a 68 440 dart that's drivin on the street and strip.
Old 04-13-2000, 08:22 AM
Inactive User

In my CPPA's some of the 'mistakes' seemed to be because of bad quality rather than the bad design. so I guess there are those that work and those that do not. In my case, I tried many differend brands of wires and nothing worked. It propably wouldn't have been that bad if I had a carb, but I had an EFI and it was very sensitive to the current leaks. It went absolutely nuts when the plug wireboots started to fry. However, I have herd nothing but good about the Schumachers headers, they are easy to install and do not have other problems that the CPPA's have. If you need race headers, then the only choice is the old Pro-Parts partial fenderwells or full fenderwells. Like I said before, I switched to fenderwells, the '73 has Hooker 2" Super comps. With small mods on the drivers side I do not have any tire clearance problems, nor exhaust to ground clearance problems. In the '66 I have self made 2" fenderwells and they seem to work equally well. No complaints in thew street duty. Maybe if we had a little warmer climate there could be, but with the '66 RB the fenderwells really are the only choice.
Old 04-13-2000, 08:30 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

DartGT66-can you give me any more information on the proparts headers?
Old 04-13-2000, 09:48 PM
Inactive User

The fenderwell headers totally STINK. DO NOT RUN THEM.

First of all, they primary tubes are 42" long and most are 2" diameter. This is way to long and way to large of diameter for most applications (99%). You are also limited for tire size up front and the collectors are on the outside of the frame rail. This makes hanging the exhaust a pain.

The CPPA headers are a good design, and I would reccommend them. ANYTHING is better than fenderwell headers.
Old 04-14-2000, 12:07 AM
Inactive User

Wink

hey, guys....... i guess dart doesnt like fenderwells??????? what do you think?????
anyways i have a set of hooker super comps, also, on a 71 dart with 440 and besides the fact that i keep blowing gaskets have had no other problems and if nothing else they give the chevy guys something to like at.... and say wow i aint never seen anything like that before........ mopar or no car....cwby
Old 04-14-2000, 03:28 AM
Inactive User

I have a 72 440 Demon with cppa 2" and havent had any problems. I used a kickdown cable instead of linkage, makes things alot easier. I had a 71 383 Demon with fenderwell headers and tire clearance in a turn was a problem. The cppa headers are tight and to change starter the header will have to come off. If I do it again I'll use the cppa
1-3/4 headers easy starter change. The tri-y
headers will not make as much horsepower as either cppa headers so depends on your engine combo.
Old 04-14-2000, 08:45 AM
Inactive User

The Hooker Super Comps are long primary headers, but at least they are equal length. In CPPAs the longest tube is about the same length as the Super Comp tubes and the shortest is about half of it. In a Dyno test performed some years ago they tested the CPPA 2" headers, CPPA 1 3/4" headers and the Pro Parts partial fenderwell headers in a moderate 440 making about 390 hp. The Pro Parts 2" made the most power. Next was the 1 3/4" CPPA's and the worst was the 2" CPPA's. The Pro Parts headers might be available through either Mancini or MAzzolini racing. They have two tubes per side go over frame rails and the exits are under the car. I have been totally satisfied with both the Super Comps and the self made fenderwells. The Super comps created some tire clearance problems in the drivers side but slight modifications to two of the primaries took care of that. The tires are 195/65/15. My self made fenderwells have 30" primary length and the collectors are next to the framerails. They are closer to the tires than the Super Comps with the steering in the tap, but have never created anykind of problems. Slightly notched and boxed framerails keep the 3.5" exhaust up and I have never had ground clearance problems with them. But one likes the mother and the other likes the daughter. If I were to use underchassis headers again in a BB A-body, I would definitely use the Schumacher's.
Old 04-18-2000, 03:02 AM
Inactive User

I found the CPPA' here at http://www.chryslerpower.com/
Old 04-21-2000, 07:54 PM
Inactive User

is anyone using cppa headers with indy heads?
bill
Old 04-21-2000, 07:54 PM
Inactive User

is anyone using cppa headers with indy heads?
bill