Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-25-2000, 05:03 PM
Inactive User

My dad's 67 cuda convertible has developed a short. If you leave the battery connected, it will discharge in about 1 day. I have determined that is somewhere in the the dome-tail-stop line after the fuse. This includes switches for the doors, headlamps, and brakes. Is there any one of these places, or in the wiring, that has a reputation for shorts? Its going to be a real pain if I have to go through everything.

Sorry if this topic doesn't belong in 'Performance Talk', but a non starting car is really lacking in performance. Thanks,

Keith
Old 04-26-2000, 02:01 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

Keith, you say it will drain the battery in a day. If the fuse is not blowing this is not a short. Are the dome lamps working or staying on,brakes lamps working, glove box lamp? Are the park lamps really on this fuse, usually they are a seperate circuit?

A good wiring diagram would be the best place to start looking and then you could isolate idividual circuits and trace the problem to the exact cause.

Hope this is some help, let me know if you need specific answers.

------------------
70 challenger r/t conv
98 V-10 Q/C SWB 4X4
72 383 swinger
Old 04-26-2000, 07:21 AM

I would start by first checking to make sure that the brake lamp turns off, often times the switch gets stuck.

If that is working, disconnect the battery and start ohming out the connections at the fuse block. If you find something other than an open, start tracing the the current flow.

------------------
Ed - MoPower

'96 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT CC 360 4X4
'68 Charger 383-4
Old 04-26-2000, 03:29 PM
Inactive User

Here is what I've done so far: I took out all fuses and hooked up a current meter (ammeter) across (in series with) the battery to see if any current was leaving. As I put the fuses in one by one I found one then when in, gave current. This was the one labeled dome tail stop. Then I checked resistance to ground on both sides of the fuse and found about 100 Ohms after the fuse. This was with all doors closed, lights off key off etc, just like the car would be sitting. 100 Ohms isn't a short that would blow a fuse but would drain the battery eventually.

The brake lights weren't visibly on. I have had a battery drain before from a sagging brake pedal keeping the switch on, but here the switch turns off enough to kill the lights.

This car has been restored recently and all the wiring is in near new condition. Thats why I suspect a switch or something. Maybe a painted over contact?