Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-24-2000, 08:36 PM
Inactive User

i am building a 72 duster 440, it is going to be my evey day driver for a little while(i sure hope the gas prices go down)but i bought a holley 750 cfm carb, its not the double pumper, i think i should have gone bigger but the money isnt there. but i need to know what size fuel line, what kind of fuel pump, are the electric pumps real loud for street driving, is this true, do i need a regualtor. what kind of filter should i use.
thanx for all the help
Old 04-25-2000, 04:25 AM
Inactive User

I would say with a vac secondary street driven car 3/8 fuel line with a carter high volume mechanical fuel pump would suit your needs. This pump does not require a regulator and would also be sufficient for a hammer down session once in awile. However this is also a time to be truthful with yourself. Is this car going to be street driven and then raced some, and then raced some more? Think about your long range goals and spend the money once.
Old 04-25-2000, 09:39 AM
Inactive User

I agree with J Body. I'm running the Carter street pump on my 392 hemi (they make a spacer so you can run an LA mech. pump on it) with a Holley 750, and 3/8" fuel line. The pump puts out about 7 psi, which is great for this setup. I don't have any fuel starvation problems at all. I originally had the Holley blue electric pump w/regulator on it, and took that noisy p.o.s. off. I would NEVER run an electric pump on anything I intend to drive on the street! They are just to noisy for me.

------------------
1970 392 Hemi Cuda
Old 04-26-2000, 10:03 PM
Inactive User

The myth that "electric fuel pumps don't last on the street" is a bunch of hooey. I used a $45 Carter elctric (72gph/8psi "strip" model)for ten summers before I had to replace it.

Now I use a Mallory Comp 250, it's been there for two seasons and doesn't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon.

About the only ones that appear to die quickly, leak, make tons of noise, etc etc are Holley blues--everything else I've used (especially the Mallory) has been 100 times better.

If you want to use an electric unit, *don't* use a Holley Blue.
~Z~