Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-14-2000, 08:12 AM

Angry

Was reading the stuff about Al Corda going to a boat anchor and it got me just pissed off enough to ask another question.
How many of you folks who run stock and/or
super stock in NHRA think it's fair that these stinking GM clowns get to run Accel fuel injection setups on their late model junkers? while the 340 & 360 Mopars are stuck
running 30 year old Thermoquads that you can't hardly even find parts for, let alone a complete decent carb. Hope I'm not the only one who's noticed this BS. Hate to go off on a rant here, but...
Old 01-14-2000, 08:20 AM
Inactive User

well weve always been under dogs anyhow and I wouldnt want it any other way,Mopar people can do more with less,have more go and more show,I always offer my GM opponents a head start they always refuse and always regret it,yeah its a pisser but who said life was fair? nobody,quit whining and go find a way to kick ass thats easier said then done but where theres a will theres a way,remember we have an inherent design advantage so the odds are in our favor thats why it seems like they lean the odds towards the gm(puke!!!) camp...MOPARS RULE...PRO...
Old 01-14-2000, 10:53 AM
Inactive User

Stop whining. Why hasn't mopar anything comparable to the new Camaros and Firedirds or Mustangs to offer? Of course the new cars can use fuel injection because they came that way from the factory. Just for the same reason Hemi racers can use Hemi heads in their cars. I think it should be about time for mopar to offer something interesting that is not 30 years old or more.
Old 01-14-2000, 02:00 PM
Inactive User

Cool

Hay that is why a true born moparholic has pride thats what makes use family any body can be a chuby want to be I live and breath mopar But if you think about it we have the cars to kick but for the same money you would pay for one those beer can and soda plastic on wheeles you can up grade your true older mopar and step out of the car waiting for that chuby you just waxed mopar rules

------------------
Old 01-14-2000, 03:23 PM
Inactive User

Maybe we can't all afford the new Chrysler 300 Hemi convertible, but we had all better be lobbying for it to go into production! A modern rear wheel drive frame with a 2 door body built for V8 power....well, I think you get the picture. Strip the luxury items, put a steel top on it and you have an intermediate sized muscle car. Watch the Camaro driver's faces when a Mopar like that pulls up next to them at the light!
Old 01-14-2000, 03:54 PM
Inactive User

What makes you think that the Dodge trucks running in stock eliminator don't have aftermarket fuel injection systems in them?

[This message has been edited by billyclub (edited January 14, 2000).]
Old 01-14-2000, 05:35 PM

You folks maybe interested in knowing that 2000 is probably the last year the Firebird and Camaro will be produced, due to lack of sales.

That is why the Cavalier and Grand Am will be used in pro stock in 2001.

The sad part is Allen Johnson may be switching from an Avenger to a Cavalier or Grand Am, maybe as soon as this season.

The Neon is supposed to debut that year also (2001).

------------------
Tom
68 Super Bee
69 Barracuda Convertible

[This message has been edited by prostock (edited January 14, 2000).]
Old 01-15-2000, 02:14 AM

Not whining, just trying to make a point here about the supposed rules. Billyclub, I know a guy who runs a Dakota in stock, and his fuel injection is the factory setup. I've also seen him torn down by NHRA after setting national records.(standard procedure)
For the record, I've never owned anything but Mopars. Just gets old when you get a leg up on these jerks and they instigate a rule change that legislates you out of being competetive(albeit temporarily.)GM sucks
Old 01-15-2000, 12:04 PM
Inactive User

I'm not saying that there aren't guys still running the factory FI setups, but many are running the aftermarket setups. (FP ACCEL, etc.) i'm sure there are GM racers running factory setups with an aftermarket chip as well.

My point is, that with a late model fuel injection racecar, aftermarket FI components are being used by racers of all makes. Sure Mopars are stuck using Thermoquads, but the GM guys are stuck using Q jets too. (At least they can get parts though.)

I am also disappointed to see Al jump ship.
Old 01-16-2000, 04:07 AM
Inactive User

Six-pack guy I'm with you man! And as for Al Corda I guess he was not a real DIEHARD MOPAR man. For some people money is bigger than their pride.MOPAR or walk!@#$%^&*
Old 01-16-2000, 02:26 PM
Inactive User

Its a shame that MoPar guys can't go to a Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler dealership and buy a REAL performance car anymore. I want V8 power and not in a truck. Clearly the Road Runner concept need to make a comeback(and not sticking some decals on a Dodge Shadow and calling it a roadrunner)
Actually the Buick Grand National was a RoadRunner type concept. A sparcely equipped 2dr RWD car with a power engine. It was very popular and is still highly sought after. I really think that government regulations have killed the muscle car. Any new car would have to abide by OBDII. Seeing the declining sales of the Mustang and Camaro/Firebird they probably don't think it would sell.
Even though most of us would be first in line.
Old 01-16-2000, 03:29 PM
Inactive User

Hey the rules are almost always against us. When a Mopar wins it's time to change the rules. Too many GM people. A long time ago a guy from a well known cam company told me they had to cater to the chebby people because they paid the bills. Everyone else came later. Truth is sanctioning bodies keep putting us down and we keep winning.
As the saying goes "I'll push my Mopar before I drive a gm or phord".
Old 01-16-2000, 05:25 PM
Inactive User

The reason why the GM boys get to run the Accel setups is the type of fuel injection system they run.They use a Mass air Flow type of EFI,while Mopar continues to use the antiquated Speed density system.The GM system is programable(hence the chips from hypertech etc.)while the Mopar system is not.It's easy for the GM boys to tailor their fuel curve depending on weather and such while the Mopars are stuck with what they have.I'm sure that the stocker Mopar racers are having new commands burned into the computers,but you'd have to have several to be able to be as adaptable as the GM system is.What Mopar needs to do is to come out with a 2dr performance RWD V-8 powered car that's a Dodge,and get with the program.
Old 01-18-2000, 08:09 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

To be or not to Be MoPar. I have to said I love my Plymouths. I own a 1947 P15, 1966 Fury, 1973 Duster, and a 1975 Fury. Please note that I had a 66 and a 75 Fury in High School. I lost these car then, now I have them again. I love these cars. Nothing else to say! I come from a MoPar nuts family. Mainly on Plymouth cars. You Dodge boys have the Viper today, We Plymouth boys have that six banger coupe(will not say that name)? Whats the Deal....Plymouth's name will be leaving us soon. I just wanted to say this, let them make all the rules they want..we will still win again. It takes the big bucks now to win. Not just on puters and hp. Those GM junkies have to use a puter to win, We trick out our engines, 727's, rear ends, you name it we do it, and we will WIN. Why you ask? We work together, and we know our cars better. Fellow MoPar Lovers, stop crying its not becoming of you. MoPar Warriors dont cry, we get even.
ViperGod

Old 01-18-2000, 07:31 PM
Inactive User

Well ViperGod,you haven't been around in a while!! I don't think anyone is crying about this.It's just a plain fact that it's harder to make a Mopar compete with GM when there are no RWD EFI cars.Not that anyone isn't up to the challenge.When you look at the big scope of things in legal classes,there isn't any new iron that Mopar has like GM and Ford.
Old 01-21-2000, 03:38 AM
Inactive User

Wink

Hey Prostock, I've heard GM has dismissed that as a rumor. You'll be seeing the cameros and firebirds for a long time to come. We gotta have some f bodies around to pick on or life would be boring.
Old 01-21-2000, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GS -:
Hey Prostock, I've heard GM has dismissed that as a rumor. You'll be seeing the cameros and firebirds for a long time to come. We gotta have some f bodies around to pick on or life would be boring.
GS, that may be true, although I have a friend that works for a Chevy dealer, and he said he has heard the same thing about the end of the "F" body.

I know WJ will be running a Grand Am, and Jeg's is switching to Cavalier's next year.

Supposedly Haas is building Neon's for the Dodge Boy's for the 2001 season.

I just read in National Dragster that Allen Johnson was able to extend the front end of his car by 6 inches per new NHRA rules. I didn't think that was supposed to take effect until next season.

Sad to say that Allen may be in one of those GM's next year.

This will be a big help for the Avenger. One advantage the GM "F" bodys have had is their long front end, since the starting line is triggered by the wheels, but the finish line is triggered by the nose of the car.

Personally, I don't care for the parade of Firebirds in pro stock.

------------------
Tom
68 Super Bee
69 Barracuda Convertible
Old 01-21-2000, 04:47 AM

Cool

Just retrieved the New National Dragster from my mailbox, guess what? It seems that Al Corda tried to launch his F body like it was a MOPAR at Orlando in the December Southern Sportsman Open.

"...in the semi's, Greg Hill in his I/SA got a free pass after former National Champion Al Corda broke in his new D/SA '98 Fireturd and was not able to answer the call."

I'm sure you'll all join me in a big bronx cheer for old Al Corda...@#$&!

------------------
Lead, follow or get out of the way!
Pete
Old 01-21-2000, 06:01 AM
Inactive User

Poor Al!!! I'll bet he wishes he had his Challenger!! That's good news that prostock posted.The Dodges have been at a disadvantage in the frontal area for quite a while.Actually,a 11" difference.I don't like the idea of the nose tripping the finish line beams,but you wouldn't have 6 second runs either.Neon for 2001?? I can't imagine how that will look,looking at a 2000 Neon,but if they are going to do it they will.Glad that Haas will build them.
Old 01-21-2000, 08:10 AM

Anybody have a Challenger they want to sell Al? I can hear him crying all the way from here in Wyoming. Dreams of another championship up in smoke? Or all over the track in the form of used up bowtanker parts?
Old 01-21-2000, 10:41 AM
Inactive User

Do you Cristopher mean that the nose of the GMs extend 11" more from the front wheels than in an Avenger? If that's the case, the difference in ET between the two is about 0.003 seconds.

[This message has been edited by DartGT66 (edited January 21, 2000).]
Old 01-21-2000, 07:42 PM
Inactive User

Am I stupid, misinformed, or have I been dreaming, isn't the new Charger supposed to be out in a year or two ?.... v-8 powered, 5 speed ?

Oh, the Chevroloser F body ain't goin' nowhere !! - not just yet anyway.

About the Chevrolosers..., you can bet your sweet a-s that most of those guys are going to stick with the Q-jet. I've got buddies here from all the major camps - this one guy in particular is a chevy dude. He runs super stock and actually builds super stock motors,. specializing in head work. He'll hesitantly admit to getting his ass spanked by a Mopar now and then. It's gonna take him a while to get into efi set-ups simply b/c it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Most of the guys could care less about being able to use efi.

However, I see your point that they are at least *able* to use it. I feel that by the time efi is the mainstay in superstock, Mopar will have a compatable system for our motors. Further, it will more than likely be specific to the magnum motors. So all the "old timers" and "die hard" Mopar dudes will have to upgrade unless the aftermarket jumps on the band wagon with retro kits for the older style engines.

MopART
(speculation is killed by education)
Old 04-18-2000, 07:34 PM
'old guy' racer

Wink

Come on now children...there's an old saying "run what cha brung!" that pretty much says it all for my Plymouth racing the past 30 years! I have a tendency to pick the less popular engine/chassis combinations, but it's all about how much heart and soul you put into it and how much imagination and whit is used, as well as the enjoyment of racing. I may run .2 slower than the 'leaders' but I use what I use and enjoy it all the while! Al just got a better deal and cost him less...it's all about business to some...not loyalty!

[This message has been edited by Woody Blanchard (edited April 18, 2000).]
Old 04-22-2000, 06:02 AM
Inactive User

Hey guys,remember way back in 1964,the 426 hemi creamed ALL the furds and chubbys at the Daytona 500, so they changed all the rules so the losers could be competitive again. In 1969 and 1970,the Daytonas and Superbirds were so much more aerodynamic they easily beat the competition, and once again the rules were bent to benefit the losers. To this day the most horsepower efficient engine design is still the Mopar hemi;-the engines in the fastest cars (top fuel and funny) are all based on this design.I have a 70 440 Cuda fully street legal,no nitrous,fibreglass,tubs, or aluminum that I've soundly beaten 454 chunkys and 460 phlords with. Several of these cars are litened, tubbed,2x4with tunnel rams and all that other stuff that looks so kewl sticking thru the hood! So here's the point-the basic design characteristics of Mopar V-8's is far superior to the other detroit iron. That's why Mopar muscle is the most sought after and the highest valued today. It's also why the rules are changed as they are; otherwise Mopars would always be the winners and the powers that be would never stand for the #3 manufacturer being #1 in the standings! Mopar to ya!!!!!! Dan.
Old 04-23-2000, 05:13 PM
Inactive User

heres an idea. Mopar makes the charger with a 360 engine. Then they offer kits to add that intake setup to your vintage 360. us mopar owners go out on the track and show those General Misery cars what a REAL engine with EFI will do in a muscle car.

Just my $0.02

GOLDDUSTER
Old 04-24-2000, 11:14 AM
Inactive User

The rules for Stock & Super Stock are very plain. The reason the Firebirds get to use fuel injection is because they came with it. The Magnums in the Trucks are allowed the same fuel injection. It is the racers choice to use the stock EFI or aftermarket components. Many of the trucks in stock eliminator use the Speed pro stuff. What's the big deal? The old GM's & fords are stuck with the carb's they came with too. If a Chevy came with a carb, they have to use it, that's the rules. They can't put on fuel injection just because they want to.
Old 04-29-2000, 06:02 AM
Inactive User

...All that 'modern' stock eliminator is; is that it is a brackect race with a lot of rules the racer who wins is the one who gets the best light (.500-520) and who can run closest to his (or hers) dail-in. Like 10.94 and you run a 10.948 with a .504 light and you will probably win no matter what the injectors, chip or any other thing is. If the late Firebird/Camaro where all that great they would be winning everything under the sun...
Old 04-29-2000, 06:38 PM
Inactive User

That's all true about running a stocker.But I'd really like to build a new car,but if I am going to do that,I have to build a Dakota.I want to race a car,not a truck.
Old 05-01-2000, 11:20 PM
Inactive User

Nasty, nasty, nasty!

The challenge here is to tune your carb to out perform that other "junk" you're refering to. Parts are still available from Carter via Federal Mogule(sp?) and you should be able to compete or out perform the fuel injection. It's probably somewhat more difficult in a stock application than it'd be for all out race. I prefer the FI for reliability, gas mileage, easy cold starts, and a whole lotta reasons for stocker street use, but I stick to carbs for non-stock hi-performance street engines. I don't drag race per say, I can't tolerate some of the "silly rules" they entertain folks with! If you're talking about pure stock/stock classes @ the drags, you're outa luck if the factory didn't offer the induction package you prefer.
This kinda brings me to a sore spot I've had w/ FORD Motor Co. for years. These idiots stuck w/ an enemic 302 in the 'Stangs to do battle w/ the chebby camaro 350s. They didn't even follow through w/ the talked about 30 year anniversary 'Stang w/ a 300 HP+ 351W. Talk about falling asleep @ the switch!
So, sorry, I don't have the answer as to why certain things just are as they are!

Richard