Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-02-1999, 10:48 PM
Inactive User

Hey Guys:

Has anyone ever attended the Monster Mopar Weekend drag race, swap meet and car show at Gateway Intl Raceway in East St. Louis, IL? My Dad and I have attended every year for the past 5 years, racing a car only two of those years. This is one of the best midwest Mopar events this side of The 'Nats, which I've attended before (and hated the heat). This is year its on September 11 and 12.

I mention this as a lead in to my next factiod: I'm actually kind of a celebrity from last year's Monster Mopar race. My dad raced his car for the Saturday program and I raced it in the Sunday program. In my second round of time trials, I pulled a bright yellow '95 Dodge Viper. After some track trouble we did our burnouts, and staged. When we launched, I noticed that I left on him and was wondering why my Dad's 13.2 Duster was out ahead of a (at least) high 12 second car. Since it was a Viper I kind of was looking around for him anyway, and I saw him fishtailing all over the place. I thought to myself that I may have to let out of it if he came any closer, and just then he swerved into my lane even farther. I then let out of it (kinda ticked about it too), still keeping a close eye on him when he REALLy lost it and came into my lane. (Screeeech!!! said the brakes) and I locked 'em up and missed "T-Boning" him by about 5 feet!! He took out the 1/8 mile timing equipment but mananged to stay out of any walls.

As it turned out, this was no ordinary Viper. The car had run in the 11's before, and now had some sort of computer controlled Nitrous system that was supposed to make it run in the 10's. The Nitrous was setup to turn on when he shifted into second gear, and when it did it sent him fishtailing real bad. He said even when he let out of it the nitrous was still going and making the car accelerate.

I was pretty shaken up about the whole thing (boo hoo i'm going home) but I got over it - altough my Mom didn't. Anyway, every where I went I asked people "Did you see the Viper spin out?" and I answered with "I was in the red Duster!" Which usually resulted in comments like "Way to go man!" and "Nice job" among other comliments and pats on the back. Made me feel like a celebrity (or at least have a big head). I was able to go up in the tower and see just how close our skidmarks were away from each other. The driver in the Viper came up to me later and thanked me for being "on the ball". Thinking back on it, I should've asked him for a ride (or a DRIVE!!).

By the way - I also went undefeated that day. Inside joke - I actually was a second round winner cause it got rained out (but still undefeated).

Sorry to be so wordy - I LOVE telling this story!!

[This message has been edited by The Dartman (edited July 02, 1999).]
Old 07-02-1999, 11:13 PM
Inactive User

Great story!!! Are you and your Dad racing this year???
Old 07-02-1999, 11:48 PM
Inactive User

My Dad and I are at least going for now.
One of the factors on whether or not my '96 Dodge Ram Conversion van is up to making the 6 hour tow. I hauled my car to the Chicagoland Mopar shootout at Route 66 raceway on May 8 and burned up a solonoid, wiring harness and relay in the van's transmission. This forced it to go into "limp mode" and I towed unknowingly inth third gear only for about two hours or more.

That happened after I had trouble keeping my Dart Sport in the beam due to master cylinder problems, which finally caused me to burst a rubber flex line. I was REALLY disappointed about this because I hadn't been able to run full eliminations for the past three times out (Trans front seal, Rained out Monster Mopar, burst brake line).

So anyway, the van is my main mode of transport, and if I blow the trans (about $1000) it would really hurt me right now.

The other thing is with Monster Mopar is that it can be EXTREMELY hot sometimes. My car also slows down about 3/4 second because of this. Not to mention that I had a bad experience racing in 95 degree heat, AND being awake for 40 hours striaght, AND with the overpowering smell of moth balls in my car. I got heat stroke (I think) and can't hardly race in the heat anymore.

My dad and I agree too that it can be better when you have no car along. You don't run back to your car to take time trials or elims, and you can kind of just take it easy (and look at all those Mopars).

Ask me again a month from now and you may get a different answer!! Wow!! My fingers hurt!!

[This message has been edited by The Dartman (edited July 02, 1999).]
Old 07-06-1999, 04:51 AM
Inactive User

Wink

I was at MMW 2 years ago...and for all that haven't been...It was AWESOME!

I've never been able to get up to the Nats so this is all I have.

I went both days and had a blast...got sunburned like a son of a gun but it was worth it!

Maybe I'll see some ya around if you're there.....as I'm planning on going this year!
Old 07-06-1999, 03:01 PM
Inactive User

Red face

My Dad and I talked extensively this weekend about which Mopar events we were going to attend and whether or not we would be taking a car. It doesn't look good for drag racing a car at ANY Mopar event the rest of this year at all.

However, we will be attending the Belvedere car show in Belvedere, WI at the Chrysler plant on July 18. And we have tenative plans to go to a Mopar event in Union Grove WI on July 31/August 1, although we don't know much about the event yet.

Let me know what your car looks like and I'll keep an eye out for it!! Or let me know where to find or email it to me.