Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-02-2000, 11:00 PM
Inactive User

Question

has anyone switched to a demon 825 carb.
are they worth the extra money over a 850
hp holley?
Old 05-03-2000, 12:32 AM
Inactive User

We put an 860 CFM Demon on a customers car and so far I am not sure I would do it again. I tried to oder directly from Demon but they told me I had to purchase from a dealer. They also informed me at that time that the race carbs were "custom" built to your specific engine and altitude.

To try and make story short, I ordered carb from dealer, gave them every little bit of info on car. Got carb, pretty piece, but notice no build sheet in box. Figure oh well, bolt it on. Went to races, car runs 10.24 right out of the box. Figure things are great, make another pass, car slows down. Pull into pits and start pulling plugs and 3 electrodes are missing.

So, we go to check jetting and find out how difficult it is to remove the float bowls with 1/4 allen at the track, then find that 860 cfm carb has 72 primary jets with power valve and 80 secondaries.

Called Demon on monday to complain about supposed "custom" built carb. Now I get the run around and get told that they arent custom built, you have to tune them yourself. Needless to say, I was not happy with them. I should have opened carb and looked, but I didnt want to mess with a $750 carb that was supposedly built.
Old 05-03-2000, 02:50 AM
Inactive User

I had the 850 street Demon and after I had it torn apart and reworked the damn thing worked fine.

Comp Chassis is right. They advertise "ready" to go and when you order they tell you they are application specific and if you have a problem they act like you didn't ask for help when you ordered it.

Application:
Dodge 400 .030 over, 10.5:1 compression, ported, polsihed, big valved 516 heads, Ultradyne 304 cam .535/.550 lift, Tean G intake, 2" Cppa headers, and on and on - Anyway, I never could get it to idle so I orderd their idle air bleed kit and it still wouldn't work. After months of FU*CKIN" with it I was fed up! I called and the "dude" at Demon told me the cam was too big and I didn't have enough cubes for the carb. So I asked him if he would take a look at it if I sent it back. HE WAS VERY UNWILLING TO TAKE IT IN FOR SERVICE.. So I took it to my buddy that works on Holleys and he had to drill some of the passages that were not fully machined.. I got it back and it worked like a CHAMP. Finally got some 11.60's out of it.

Now it's on my buddies SB Chevy 400 takin' no prisoners.

To answer your question.... NO!!!! I was PISSED off by every single experience with the carb.

ART
Old 05-03-2000, 03:30 PM

Got a call once from guy with one of Barry Grants creations - brand new out of box. He put carb on 440 and thing would start but run really bad - extremly rich. Went to take a look - found fuel running into intake with engine off but FP on. I took apart this NEW out of the box carb - BG had left the power valve out. What kind of quality control is that???? Their answer - so sorry. This type of mistake could easily have hydraulic'd the engine - bending a rod, causing some severe damage.

[This message has been edited by AZMOPAR (edited May 03, 2000).]
Old 05-03-2000, 07:38 PM
Inactive User

I purchased a BG Gold Claw set up for 835 cfm and it worked great. Call BG (after court slapped their hands) to get parts to make a 1050 cfm and was told to sell Gold Claw and buy a King Demon, I said right and ended conversation.

Called Chuck Nuytten (very helpful) and ordered a carb from them. Works great, did change the jets but thats all.

I will not have a Demon.

Left the Gold Claw on what it was purchased for.

------------------
69 RR 426 4bbl 727 9.78 @ 138 best so far.
79 Lil Red Express.
96 2500 Ram 5.9
99 Durango 5.9
Old 05-04-2000, 12:14 AM
Inactive User

Red face

I just purchesed a 850 speed Demon double pumper. I bolted it on my mild 440 read the instructions fired the car up. The rear floats were too high. After screwing with it for a day the car ran fine but a little rich. Took both float bowls off and jetted the carb down it came with 85 in the front and 93 in the back. Put it back togther and the car runs fine. I liked the float bowls they hold the metering block when reassembeling the carb. The gasgets in it also were good they didn't rip when pulling the float bowl. I haven't gone to the track yet but the car does feel strong. I ordered the carb throught a local parts place and it was cheaper for me to buy a 850 demon than an 850 holley but I'm guessing in the states the prices might be very different. I havent called Demon for any support so I can't comment on that. The thing looks pretty but if its much more than a holley I don't think its worth it.