Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-01-2000, 05:14 PM
Inactive User

Question

Wasszupp!! Fellow mopar lovers!!

I would like to pick anyones brain who has installed wheel tubs on an A-Body. Im just bout ready to get started on the Duster and would like to get a few details on various things:
1- What size tubs did you use
2- How much cutting wuz involved, especially in the front, below the rear window area, this area looks like a major pain! Also their is alot of support structure comin down from the package tray and fromt what looks like a support bar from the inside roof.
3- How wuz the metal attached to the inside quater panel, Competition Eng. does not recommend welding this but doesnt provide any alternative in their instructions...??Rivets would look pretty stupid on the outside of the car.LOL

ive checked out bigblockdart.com wheel well moving, however i think the tubs look alot cleaner.

thanks, any help for an amateur sheet metalalist would be great!!!!

Old 05-02-2000, 04:10 AM
Inactive User

Cool

Not exactly an expert on the subject (well - not even close actually) but I have done a lot of reading on the subject. I have also helped setup a 8.40 Shoverolet Nova's Wheel tubs and others.

The trick is that these wheel wells do not even come close to touching the quarters. They recommend about 1/4 inch gap even, to be filled with silicone. Metal tubs can rub aginst the quarters gradually wearing through. This wear problem is even more amplified when you have fiberglass quarters, as a buddy of mine does with a 71 Demon/Duster Hybrid.

The trick to fitting tubs is taking careful measurements once your centerline has been found and the side panel has been mounted. Once this panel is mounted, carefully measure around the radius of the wheelwell to the corresponding spot on the quarters at say 1 inch intervals and transpose (?) them over to the flat "top" or "outside" of the wheel well.

Next time your at the race track stick your head into other guys trunks and you'll easily learn the do's and don'ts of how to do your car. I will stress taking careful measurements as the most important key to a well fitting tub. Also aluminum tubs on a street car are a bad idea as well (except my big bro don't agree) becuase the slightest rock in the tread is EXACTLY like a 22 when the tires are turning 100 Mph or so. This results in holes, or worse yet, "dimples" all over. Seen 'em at car shows on some really nice rides and just had to laugh....

------------------
'73 Dart Sport
318 CU, 12.5:1, "J" Heads, 517L/292D Camshaft
727 trans, 4500 Tci Converter back to 4.30 gears for a best of 12.87@105
Old 05-02-2000, 05:32 AM
Inactive User

The easiest way to fit a tub by far is to do it in 2 pieces. Fit the back of the tub at the hieght you want it and then measure to the closest point to the quarter panel. Then, cut the tub panel approximately 1/2 to 1" shorter than this measuerment.

Now, assemble your tub and install in place, then take the piece you cut off and fit it into place touching the quarter panel at the narrowest spot and laid inside the assembled tub. Using a compass or some other type of marking device, meausre the widest gap and then use the compass to scribe the panel to the shape of the quarter. You then cut the panel to the shape, lay it back into place an either spot weld it or pop rivet it to the tub.

I dont recomend trying to attache the tub to the quarter. Leave about 1/8" gap and use good silicone to fill it up.
Old 05-02-2000, 12:08 PM
Inactive User

Thaks for the all the info, this helps alot!!
BBD
Old 05-04-2000, 03:12 AM
Inactive User

Cool

Big block duster,I had a guy put new quarter panels and wheel tubs in my demon.He fabbed up the wheel tubs buy using .062 thick steel,he cut the tubs so they matched up with the quarter panels.Then he attached a 1 1/4 piece of sheet metal from the tub to the quarter panel at a 45 deg angle.It looks really good and is very ridgid.I probably did have to put a roll cage in but i did anyway.He wanted to use the thicker gage material since i was driving on the street,just in case i ever blew a tire.
Old 05-04-2000, 04:20 AM
Inactive User

Well, after furhter insight i have decided to move the existing wheel wells as done at bigblockdart.com. Maybe go with the tubs on my next project when i have a garage to work in and the neighbors cant complain bout the grinder going on sat & sun morning , and i actually get the nads to hack out that much metal from a car.
Thanks for all the replys!!
BBD