Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-08-2000, 10:45 PM
Inactive User

i am building a 72 duster 440. i am not too familiar with the 440, i know its a 77 police block. but on the back of the engine there are two threaded holes(behind the manifold, above the flex plate. on the water pump ther are three threaded holes, what are they for(i know two go to the firewall for the heater) which ones, go to what one on the fire wall. and my last question, does any one have the diagram that shows what spark plug wires go where, and what is top dead center on the distributer.
thanks joe
Old 05-09-2000, 12:01 AM
Inactive User

im not sure if the threaded holes above the flex plate are oil pressure lines or not.... as for the sparkplug wire question , the rotation is cc and the firing order should be stamped on the intake manifold. just start at #1 on the distributor and wire cc in the order on the manifold. i should know the order off the top of my head , but i dont.
Old 05-09-2000, 12:54 AM
Inactive User

The threaded holes in the back of the block are plugged off with NPT plugs. Same with the one on the water pump. The firing order is the same for big and small blocks (1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2), but like Duster440 said, big blocks rotate Counterclockwise. Top dead center (TDC) refers to (usually) #1 piston, not the distributor. I think what you're looking for is where to put the #1 wire on the cap. Put #1 piston at TDC FIRING (both valves are closed) and then plug the wire into the distributor cap adjacent to the rotor. This assumes the distributor is installed correctly. If this is not the case, then we can cover that beginning to end. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2000, 01:17 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation

my distibuter is not in thats what i am trying to do.

Old 05-11-2000, 03:38 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

HemiGtx I think the threaded holes he is refering to or on the top of the block which are the oil pressure sending unit holes one is used and the other is plugged. As long as you get the number one wire plugged in to where the rotor is pointed to at TDC then it really doesnt matter where around the distributor the wire is unless you are a perfectionist. I can never get the oil pump drive shaft to go in and line up in the correct position so I just but the number one wire at this position.

The big thing like Hemi GTX said is to make sure you have the wires setup counterclockwise. It will try to run and back fire horribly if you have it setup clockwise. I should know i did that when i first setup a big block and i removed the cam before i figured it out.

Good luck and if you need more help holer we will be here

Christian

------------------
68 'Cuda 383 Working on adding EFI
69 'Cuda Race Parts Car
76 Duster 273 recent transplant
95 Neon 2.0 SOHC best of 16.96
84 Dodge Ram D50 transplanting 360