Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-09-2000, 05:54 AM
Inactive User

Can anyone tell me if there is a company that makes a kit so I can put rack-n-pinion on my car. Also how do I take the window regulators out of the doors and replace them with straps like they did with the Hemi Darts and 'Cudas? My car is 75% strip 25% street so I need to loose as much weight as possible. I am going to put fiberglass fenders, hood, and bumper on it. I do not know it that is going to make it light enough. I would like it to be around 3000lbs without totally gutting it.
Old 05-09-2000, 05:40 PM
Inactive User

Doesn't Magnum Force make a tube K member with rack and pinion steering? I think it takes 100 lbs or so off the front end. You might look into that setup.
Old 05-11-2000, 04:03 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

Removing the regulators is actually very simple just unbolt everything and remove. Then use the bottom bracket on the window and bolt an old seatbelt to it and the other end of the seatbelt bolt it to the bottom of the door somewhere. Or just use a piece of strap and bolt it on the window bracket and have a hook and loop and the door to catch it.
On the magnum force frontend it is very nice but also expensive at 2500 complete. But this is a complete replacement of the front end. New spindles rack and pinion, coilovers upper and lower control arms, everything and completely adjustable.
i believe thier website is www.magnumforceracing.com

good luck

Christian

------------------
68 'Cuda 383 Working on adding EFI
69 'Cuda Race Parts Car
76 Duster 273 recent transplant
95 Neon 2.0 SOHC best of 16.96
84 Dodge Ram D50 transplanting 360
Old 05-11-2000, 04:07 PM

I installed the Magnum Force upper control arms in my 68RR. They are NOT lighter than stock but do allow more caster angle to be dialed in (depending on your frame rail tolerances - their words). They definitly do not just "bolt" in place. Due to their design - the frame rail lip had to be modified and I had to do some significant grinding on the inner control arm bushing mounts to prevent interference between the arm and the mount. I expected some type of install problems - normal with this type of aftermarked part. I talked to them about some mods for the arm that would fix the type of problems I encountered - their answer - they looked at doing them but decided it would be too much hassle for them. I was going to install their K frame replacement - but after the hassle with the upper arms - decided not too. I would not recommend this to anyone who thinks these will just BOLT in place - they don't.
Old 05-12-2000, 06:23 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the info. I went to Magnum Force's web site and about cried when I saw the prices. The complete k-member conversion
kit cost $3490.00! I think that I am going to do a little more research on that one. Thank you for the info on the door straps. I am going the do that today.

Luke