Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-25-2000, 11:39 PM
Inactive User

Wink

About a week ago I bought a 97' neon and I hear all kinds of things to do to increase performance but I still have to make payments so I'm on a budget, Can anyone lend some tips?
Old 04-26-2000, 01:28 AM
Inactive User

Hey Stubby, the best way to improve the performance of any Neon is to sell it and buy a big block car!!!! But seriously, it really does depend on your budget. There is all kinds of equipment available to wake these cars up. I'd start with a header, then an engine controller (computer). There is also a cold air intake system, cams, hi-flow mufflers, etc. Have fun!
Old 04-26-2000, 02:52 AM
Inactive User

The best kick for a Neon is the turbo kit for it. Expensive but it will put it into a 13sec quarter mile.
There is a few cheaper mods you can do that will pry a few ponies out of that four banger. But they probably wouldn't add up to much; go with the turbo. Heres a tip, skip the car payments in order to pay for the turbo kit!
Old 04-26-2000, 03:15 AM
Inactive User

Whoopass in a bottle.... Nitrous.

ART
Old 04-26-2000, 03:27 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Stubby:
About a week ago I bought a 97' neon and I hear all kinds of things to do to increase performance but I still have to make payments so I'm on a budget, Can anyone lend some tips?
check the howell automotive site.....lotsa neon goodies....or len ayalas 11 sec neon @ turbosystem.com
Old 04-26-2000, 04:39 AM

Stubby,
Is your Neon a 5spd or automatic? SOHC or DOHC engine?

Jeff C.
Old 04-26-2000, 07:24 PM
Inactive User

Just do your normal 4 banger hop up stiff. A good header and cat back exhaust, an Iceman intake, a reprogrammed computer box, maybe later on when you have the money saved and have decided on whether to keep the car or not go with a fully ported head, maybe a turbo, nitrous is cool but if you are under warranty it will kill it. A set of higher lift cams would be good. These are the idea's that wouldn't require the engine to be removed. A good flowing exhaust, Iceman intake and a reprogrammed box (read the June 2000 Mopar Action for an article) should really give you a kick in the pants. cruzerjd
Old 04-26-2000, 08:47 PM
Inactive User

First thigs first. I have a '97 SOHC Neon and I have done the following:

Take the stock lower front motor mount and fill it with windshield sealer, cost $5. This will stop the wheel hop when launching and driving it hard. Remove the mount and fill the spaces in the rubber mount with the window sealant. That stuff is really nasty - very sticky and messy so do it outside. Wait for it to cure (overnight) and bolt it back on.

Remove the air intake part that routes over the valver cover and connects to the air box. If you remove it and look at the underside it necks down to about half the width to clear engine components. This essentially makes the intake really restricitve. It is also for noise supression. I like to hear the motor so I removed mine. That basically makes the air filter kind of an open element. Cost = Free.

Buy the K&N filer charger and replace the stock filter. Cost $45. This pays for itself, since you don't have to buy air filters anymore since the K&N is reusable.

Next should be the MP wire set. This make a lot of difference. Also be sure to run platinum plugs. Cost ~$50.

The next thing to do is to order a high flow muffler, not the whole exhaust system. A good flowing muffler shold cost around $75 installed.

With these mods you should pick up at least 15+ hp. That would be 147 for the SOHC and 165 for the DOHC.

The Iceman intake is nice, but too expensive. Look at everything you do from a dollar to horsepower gain perspective and you won't go wrong. What ever is the highest hp gain per $ is what I would look to do.

[This message has been edited by Dart (edited April 26, 2000).]
Old 05-15-2000, 07:36 AM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

The best step towards performance that you could make would be to sell your front wheel drive econo-box and buy an early nineties 300ZX or something.
Old 05-16-2000, 04:00 PM
Inactive User

Real Muscle: Go to the nissan chat site, you freak. What kind of name is real muscle when you are talking about nissan? Obviously you do not know the meaning of REAL MUSCLE.

By the way: a number of people have made 250-300 hp with the 2.0 Neon Motor. That would STOMP your import crap.

[This message has been edited by Dart (edited May 16, 2000).]
Old 05-16-2000, 04:36 PM
Inactive User

RAM 1500 - You are way off base here. The Neon is a superior performer for its class. The performance parts are cheaper than any other import car. The potential horsepower to weight ratio in the Neon is superior to many other muscle cars and can run harder than you think it might.

Besides it gets 30+ mpg, runs on 87 octane gasoline, has 4 wheel disc brakes and has superior handling. All in all it is a great package.

Don't be a close minded more=better simpleton.
Old 05-16-2000, 05:43 PM

Question

to dart:

"Don't be a close minded more=better simpleton."

"That would STOMP your import crap."

Who is being close-minded here, anyway? I don't know how you can say a Nissan is crap when they come with 320 hp DOHC engines, 4-wheel steering, REAR WHEEL DRIVE, and better handling than most anything that is comparably priced. Is it just because they're Japanese?
I don't dispute the fact that a Neon can be turned into a fast car. I just think that trying to make a fwd economy car into something fast is an inferior plan to just buying a real sports car.

Old 05-16-2000, 10:27 PM
Inactive User

RAM 1500: Your response proves my point, thanks.
Old 05-16-2000, 10:41 PM
Inactive User

Real Muscle: Ok, I will concede a point or two. Yes I do think that Nissan makes a decent car and the 300ZX is an ok performer. I however wouldn't buy one because is it way out of my price range and I prefer American vehicles to Import/Japanese.

One point of contention is that this is a MOPAR chat site, not a Nissan one. If you like Nissan 300ZXs, fine by me, but why preach that to a generally MOPAR crowd? I am not trying to pull any pounches here, but I wouldn't go on a Nissan site and preach how good Mopar is to Nissan enthusiasts without expecting a flurry of criticism.

Another point, the Neon is not an "econobox", especially when you look at the ACR package and the racing circuit that has evolved from the ACR Neon. If you want to talk "econobox" you would have to objectively include the Accord, Sentra, etc., etc. So if your point is to not bother with an "econobox" to start with I can understand that. But don't elimate the Neon solely on the "econobox" classification when it clearly is not.

What I was suggesting to the original post was that there are a few things you can do to increase the performance of your Neon while on a budget. You would most likely agree that there is no harm in modifying ANY car, "econobox" or not, for better performance. The purpose of my post was to explain how to make a fun car a little more responsive and better to drive.
Old 05-16-2000, 11:56 PM

Arrow

to Dart:
Your arguments are sounding much better now. If you guys want to spend all that money, I guess it's ok with me. A fast econobox is better than a slow econobox.

to Stubby:
Instead of trying to get a thrill from the raw acceleration of your car--an area where it is inherently lacking--you should direct your efforts towards making it a corner carver. It's suspension is light years beyond that of any MOPAR musclecar from the 60's/70's in sophistication and engineering and even though it's front wheel drive, people do race them so you know they can do alright. Lateral G's are just as fun as straight line ones and you will probably get more noticeable results and "bang for your buck" by modifying your suspension rather than your engine. Take care of handling and then worry about speed--that's what any race car builder would tell you.

[This message has been edited by Real Muscle (edited May 16, 2000).]
Old 05-17-2000, 02:28 AM
Inactive User

While these guys are getting pissed at each other...... Stubby, put a nitrous kit on it. You can have it installed and run two bottles through it before this fight is over.

Old 05-17-2000, 02:49 AM
Moderate anarchist

Geez, Real Muscle. You don't know much about MoPar's torsion bar suspensions do you. I used to hand M3's and C5 Vette's thier butts on the road course with my "old tech" 72 Swinger. Ugly as sin but golden where it counted. The major problem with muscle car handling, when they were new, was tires. Today it's worn out suspensions. Ever heard of Mopr Action's One Lap of America Valiant? My 65 Cuda is going to be able to whip up on anything selling for less than $100k US, when I am done. Right now I have the front suspension done, the brakes done and I am building the rear axle. Total investment, including buying the Cuda 2 years ago, is $5k. I have the engine and trans left to do. I have both in good shape but I want to go thru them before I drop them in. I figure another $5k and it'll be done, mechanically and cosemetically.

As for the Neon, you haven't driven one have you? Easy to denegrate that which you don't know. The wife has a 96 Neon and it handles real good, accelerates well enough, get 36 mpg with me (lead foot) driving it, stops adequately. The only complaint I have is the crappy headlamp pattern, but then again my H4's on my Diplomat spoil me.

I believe in all around performance in all my cars. While my Neon isn't outstanding in any one category it is more than competent enough in all categories to make it an outstanding value. In case you are wondering, I used to wrench on a twin turbo 300ZX for a friend. It had to be a friend cause there is no way I'd wrench on one for a living. The Neon kicks a 300ZX's but in servicability, in fact most Japanese cars suck when it comes to being able to work on them, not to mention parts costs. Comes from the "replace them every 5 years" mentality foster by domestic Japanese laws.
Old 05-17-2000, 01:27 PM

Stubby, you are kind of in the same boat I am with my wife's v6 camaro. You can do the muffler, K+N, headers and chip and maybe nitrous or turbo (although I am personally not interested in either one). Anything else is too much money for the HP gains. I would do the bolt-ons thing and maybe try to improve the suspension and handling. For power and speed I like my hopped-up truck, but nothing hugs the backroads like the camaro which can be just as much fun!
Old 05-17-2000, 03:10 PM
Inactive User

ram1500,

I wasn't singling anyone out - it's just crazy to get bent out of shape over any of this..... Hey, I'm with you! - put a 440 in that little box...... and nitrous.

note: I have driven Neons before and quite frankly I like them - except for the fwd thing. My first experience was a rental I had to get in Kansas - man I was stretching that little 4 banger out on the interstate.

Seriuously Stubby... you should start with the obvious things - exhaust, induction, ignition, and then go with the "big" stuff. In doing all the basics you will "learn" your car's characteristics and fitting and then you can put a turbo or whatever you choose. You may even disover ways to get free hp.

just have fun.... that's what it's all about.

ART
Old 05-17-2000, 03:11 PM
Inactive User

ram1500,

I wasn't singling anyone out - it's just crazy to get bent out of shape over any of this..... Hey, I'm with you! - put a 440 in that little box...... and nitrous.

note: I have driven Neons before and quite frankly I like them - except for the fwd thing. My first experience was a rental I had to get in Kansas - man I was stretching that little 4 banger out on the interstate.

Seriuously Stubby... you should start with the obvious things - exhaust, induction, ignition, and then go with the "big" stuff. In doing all the basics you will "learn" your car's characteristics and fitting and then you can put a turbo or whatever you choose. You may even disover ways to get free hp.

just have fun.... that's what it's all about.

ART