Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-22-2000, 04:24 AM

I know this is a Holley carb question, but a few Mopars came with Holleys, and I know someone out there knows whats wrong with mine. Heres the sit-rep. My 600 DP secondary venturis drool gas at idle. I know this seems to be a float/seat problem, but I replaces the float, new plastic OEM piece, replaced the needle seat with new OEM assy, I even replaces the bowl, new OEM. fuel pressure is 7 PSI. Only other thing I can think of replacing is the secondary metering block. All gaskets are new. Static float level is pencil width with bowl inverted, just like Haynes suggests. Did I get a bad needle/seat assy? Im going to run an electric pump next to see whats up with no "distractions" from a coughing motor. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 05-22-2000, 07:08 AM
Australian Member.

When you put those new bits on, did you set up the level correctly? Does yours have a fuel level plug to veiw the level of the fuel? Should be at a level so it just stops flowing out of the hole.
Old 05-22-2000, 09:02 AM

Lightbulb

Power valve opening already at idle? Check which number You´ve got. It should be around 2 numbers lower than Your idle vacuum reading?

Jus my 2 cents
Old 05-22-2000, 04:08 PM
Inactive User

I agree with BB 70 Challenger. I had the same problem when I went from a stock cam to a .484 MP on my 340. Throttle response and fuel economy sure go into the toilet when the power valve is opening. Mine was "fluttering" at idle. Also, I learned the hard way to ONLY buy Holley parts. You could probably get away with some of those new "premium" non-stick gaskets, etc., but for the most part, stick with Holley parts.
Incidentally, the power valve will make your PRIMARIES dribble, not your secondaries, so if the primaries aren't the problem, then let us know. Good luck!
Old 05-23-2000, 01:44 AM
Inactive User

Im not shure but I think that the double pumper carbs do have a power valve for the secondarys as well as for the primarys. I know that the vaccume secondary carbs only have a powervalve on the primary side.
Old 05-23-2000, 05:14 AM

Ill check on the power valve issue. It is a 4150, so it has two metering blocks, and it is dribbling out the secondaries, not the primaries. The venturies are almost even with the tops of the fuel bowl reservoirs, so I gotta believe it is a fuel level problem. There is not much to a needle/seat assy.
Old 05-23-2000, 04:43 PM
Inactive User

holleys are pure crap to start with, especially the spread bore series. i bought one a few years back and took it back for a cracked bowl. they gave me another one, and i took it back for a pinhole in the bowl. i tool it back and demanded an edelbrock instead, and have never had another problem. edelbrock carbs actually hold their adjustments too! and, no power valves to blow out. the best thing is, they are simply a copy of the old carter AVS that ma mopar gave our cars in the first place.

rock on
Old 05-24-2000, 05:31 AM

Well, I think I might have found the problem. The floats were a little high, and there was a piece of shit in the needle seat (how did that get there?). I put it on my bench over a pan and filled it with gas, then I ran a Holley blue fuel pump into the fuel inlet to see where the thing wanted to leak, sure enought the secondaries started gushing. I cleaned the seat, and started over. Same thing. I then realized the fuel pressure was 15 PSI! I put a regulator on it and dropped it down to 7. It held, now I could set the float level. Holley tells you to loosen lock screw with car idling and turn nut to lower or raise float,to get a trickle out the sight plug. They dont tell you the fuel under pressure will squirt everywhere (and far!) from the lock screw you loosen! Oh well, I still have an Edlebrock 750 to fall back onto, boy that carb idled good....