Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-18-2001, 01:18 PM
Inactive User

My Art Carr-built 904 is in need of repair, but Art Carr has moved to Texas. I am looking for recommendations for a shop in Southern California. The trans is currently modified as complete manual, reverse-pattern. The problem is that second gear is slipping badly. By the way the car is 99% street-driven.
Old 02-18-2001, 08:33 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up 904

I don't know of any shops in California other than Pro-Trans,but why not re-build it yourself?? The 904 is probably the easiest trans to rebuild.Get a Chrysler shop manual and follow what the book says. The book will say there are some special tools to use when rebuilding,but alot are not needed.For example,I use 2 bolts threaded into the front pump with a chain attached,and that's how I pull out the front pump.The book says to use 2 slide hammers,but they are not needed.
Old 02-18-2001, 11:07 PM
Inactive User

I'm in S California as well and have started searching for a good tranny shop that is trustworthy. There are tons of places in Chula Vista, but I want to get it done right. I heard there was a good performance shop in Oceanside. I'll track down the name and pass it on to you. My 904 is leaking and I will be looking for a rebuild in the near future. Let me know what you find.
'
Old 02-19-2001, 03:20 AM
Inactive User

I tried to rebuild it once. Just to be clear, I do all the engine work, have removed, rebuilt and replaced the entire suspension, including drum to disc brake conversions, etc. But even though I had two manuals and a video, and even though all seemed to come apart and go together correctly, the trans did not work when I was done. I have not gone back to try again, maybe I will someday.