Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-18-2001, 07:54 PM
Young Mopar Life

Question

Well, would it work? This would be for our "econo poncho" catalina conv.('66 model w/ 421 and th400 tranny) it gets 18 mpgs and thats w/ only a 2 1/2 dual exhaust, upgrade to 600 Ebrock carb and Performer man. w/ K&N filter. STOCK POINTS IGNITION and STOCK MANIFOLDS! We plan on putting a HEI unit in, and maybe have the muffler shop weld in a balance tube. For fun, and since this is our road trip car, we are looking for about 23-25 MPGs over 18 we get now, when it was stock it was getting 13 MPGs. So

How much will this help MPG and HP

1. StubStack. I believe it is a 3 1/2 in filter, but I am
not sure, it also has a 1/2 in drop base.

2. HEI unit from off a Flaming Chicken w/ new coil and
maybe MSD box(like the blaster or MSD 5)

3. Balance tube- not sure if this puppy will have
under the body, but how much could it give me?

4. 1.5 ratio roller tip rockers. I know this might sound funny but wouldn't it make the engine run smoother and reduce friction adding to engine and valvetrain life and make the engines job easier? I think it would probably pick me up 10 ponies, 5 lbs torque and smoothen out power band. I could probably get some for $200

PS- this is probably a 4500-4700 lb vehicle full of fuel and my family. I think it has 3.08 gears(haven't pulled out the rear but this is the highest gear ratio optional for this year and model as listed in own of my service manuals) in a GM 12 bolt, but maybe higher as it seems to "cruise"* at about what the speedo says 80 mph.

*"cruise" no tach but the motor seems to only be running mid to hi in the 2 grand zone.
Old 02-19-2001, 02:59 AM
Inactive User

Smile

The HEI ignition and H-pipe will give you the best mpg improvement for your money. Beyond that, FINE tuning the carb and timing is about all thats left. I'd use a Jacobs mileage master ign. system with the HEI. Open up the plug gaps about .010" more than stock with this setup. Hope this helps you, let us know..........djs
Old 02-19-2001, 09:39 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Furyboy;

In addition to a post elsewhere, Skip the msd blaster or "5" and go right to thr "6" model.
Roller rockers would help,but, at what price. is it worth the bang for the buck?
Are headers out of the question? That would really add to the effort!
Old 02-19-2001, 10:49 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

your tank will need all the help,while the hei will help one problem is you car wiring will not carry enough voltage or current in the power line to the unit due to internal resistance and small wire gauge.suggest using a pertronix conversion with old dist. for easy low buck setup.also go with light 5x30 snythetic oil in engine with snythetic in driveline.id use an extreme air flow top on air cleaner and use an electric cooling fan. p/s dont forget to use an underdrive crank pulley and change to a ps fluid in the pump rather than atf.these changes soild net 2-3 mph
Old 02-20-2001, 12:55 AM
Young Mopar Life

Exclamation

Well, last summer the car had an electrical fire, so we replaced ALL the wiring. So I think that HEI should work, but I'll talk to some more people about it, the car has probably never seen more than 4,500 rpms so hi rpm power isn't a concern, looking for easier starts and better mpgs just for shits and giggles.
Old 02-20-2001, 10:14 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs down Mpg

To get that kind of fuel milage you are going to have to have an egg between you foot and the gas pedal
Old 02-20-2001, 07:24 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

D-Wedge;

Thats the most weirdest way I have ever heard of to get mileage out of a car! LOL It just may work!
Old 02-20-2001, 08:20 PM
Young Mopar Life

Biggrin

Okay, but I figure I can get atleast 20-21 Mpgs, since I get 18 now.

I can't get headers, though, that sucks! Headers might give me 2 mpgs. OH WELL!

I figure put in a balance tube and HEI, Rebuild kit from Petronix and I'll have an EXTREMELY smooth running car!