Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-18-2001, 07:56 PM
Inactive User

Earnhardt Dead After Last-Lap Crash

Daytona Beach, Fla., Feb. 18 — Dale Earnhardt, NASCAR's greatest modern champion, was killed in a crash at the end of Sunday's Daytona 500, leaving the future of the sport in question.

Earnhardt was the spirit of NASCAR and by far its most popular star. The great irony is that Earnhardt died the day NASCAR's new-era network contracts began.

Earnhardt, 49, was running third and was blocking back charging Sterling Marlin. His drivers, Michael Waltrip and Dale Earnhardt Jr., were leading, with Waltrip going on to win.

Into the third turn, Marlin moved to the inside, with trailing Ken Schrader moving to the outside. Rusty Wallace, in sixth place, shot between the two to follow Earnhardt.

It is not clear what happened. It appeared that Earnhardt, caught in quiet air, lost rear wheel traction and veered into Marlin's car, bouncing off it twice before turning right and slamming into the wall, also taking out Schrader.

Schrader came from his car, ran to the side of Earnhardt's, then began waving to rescue crews. Earnhardt reportedly was unconscious in the car.

He was taken directly to Halifax Medical Center without a stop at the care center. His wife, Teresa, and sons Kerry and Dale Jr.(who had finished second in the race) followed, as did car owner Richard Childress, in a separate vehicle.

Team members were informed in a private meeting at the side of the RCR hauler, then immediately left the track. Many were in tears.

Two hours after the race, NASCAR still had not made an official announcement. One is expected within minutes. — Ben Blake, Senior Editor, RACER (Photo: Robert Harmeyer)

All I can say about this is lovem or hate em Dale Earnhardt was a racer, my heat goes out his family, All the smack talk going on about Earnhardt, lets remember that he was a human being and a man that should be respected for all of his accomplishments. Nascar is a dangerous sport and stuff happens but often we seen to get so wraped up in what this guy or that guy did that we loss sight that it is just a sport. may he race in heaven with Davey, Allan, Adam, Kenny and the rest of the men we have lost. RIP Intimidator it has been a pleasure watching yo
Old 02-18-2001, 08:00 PM
Inactive User

Default here is the link

http://www.speedvision.com/pub/artic...R/010218c.html
I am still stunned after hearing the news. I jsut dunno what to say.
Old 02-18-2001, 08:07 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy The Intimidator

I was never a Earnhardt fan,but he was good for the sport.He brought a lot of prominence to NASCAR,and obvously was it's most popular driver that was still racing.It's sad to lose anyone whether you are a fan or not of that racer.Hopefully NASCAR can implement some other type of safety regulations so that things like this don't continue to happen.What they would be,I have no idea.I'm more of a Drag Racing fan,so my thinking comes from that area.
Old 02-18-2001, 08:08 PM
Banned

Exclamation

i just heard it on ESPN.. today during the Daytona 500, what seemed to be a normal crash ended up killing dale earnheardt..
Old 02-18-2001, 08:12 PM
Banned

OMG!! i dont understand the wreck wasn't that bad at all...how did he die?

kirkyg
Old 02-18-2001, 08:12 PM
Extra Stout

No Way
Old 02-18-2001, 08:17 PM
Extra Stout

Earnhardt
dead at 49

Dale Earnhardt is dead at age 49 after an accident on the final lap of Sunday's Daytona 500. (AP)
Dale Earnhardt is dead. The beloved 'Intimidator' of NASCAR's Winston Cup series crashes hard into the wall during Sunday's final lap at the Daytona 500. Earnhardt was third at the time of the wreck, with the drivers for the team he owns -- Michael Waltrip and Dale Earnhardt Jr. -- running 1-2. Waltrip wins his first race but the sport loses one of its greatest legends. More...

http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/racing/auto/nascar/daytona500/index.html/
Old 02-18-2001, 08:20 PM

This is a really, really sad day in motorsports.

My condolences go out to the family.
Old 02-18-2001, 08:21 PM
Inactive User

I don't know what to say. I wasn't a fan, but it won't be the same with out him. It's sad to see him go.
Old 02-18-2001, 08:21 PM
Addicted Moparchat Member

Unhappy

what a shocker... just watched the press conference, he was most likely dead on impact so they said. it's a sad day here in nascar's and dale's home state of NC...
Old 02-18-2001, 08:28 PM
Inactive User

Default earnheart dead, driving like fool

I have not watched nascar for a long time( no mopars no reason to). but what I saw today was good hard racing. Mopar put on one kick butt show. and there is no doubt in the minds of all that veiwed the race that Dodge was there to win....and came so very close. It is a shame that Dale Earnheart lost his life. But what I saw was a man that was driving like a fool. Sure everyone a Daytona was there to win, but it sure looked like Earnheart was driving with out any regards to anyone else on that track but his own ego. But as I said before I have not watched Nascar for along time
it`s a loss for all of racing, and a damn shame.
But on a brighter note
Move Over......People Are Racing
M O P A R
Old 02-18-2001, 08:31 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

Unhappy

Just heard he died from massive chest injuries from the force of hitting the wall.
Boy do I feel bad, I was cussing him for not letting Sterling Marlin pass, he might have won the whole thing.
Jeff Ward was Doing extremely well until the other crash as well.

Lets all have a moments of silence for a fallen soldier.
Old 02-18-2001, 08:31 PM

so far they've said it was most likely massive head injuries, and he was most likely dead on impact or shortly after. what a shock... especially to nascar's and earnhart's (and my) homestate of nc...
Old 02-18-2001, 08:35 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy for real

oh wow, i cant believe it, he was acting up today but he didnt deserve that,i am sorry it happened.
Old 02-18-2001, 08:35 PM
Inactive User

Terrible news.

Ask not for whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.....
Old 02-18-2001, 08:40 PM
Inactive User

A tragic shock, it is a shock when any racer dies, but when the legends do, it especially seems to impact on us all the more, there isn't anything I can say that racing fans everywhere aren't already feeling, our hearts go out to their families.

Al
Old 02-18-2001, 08:41 PM

In case no one noticed, I removed my post about Earnhardt purposely wrecking to keep the rest of the field have a shot at other two. I feel terrible. I was never a fan of Earnhardt but he was responsible for a lot NASCAR's success. My condolences go out to his family and friends. I am in complete shock right now.

I think we need to think about Sterling Marlin too. I bet he is absolutely torn in two right about now. I beleive we should send our prayers out to the Earnhardt family and Sterling Marlin. Sterling probably feels like it is his fault right now.

I personally beleive NASCAR is going to have to re-think their theory of tight racing that are trying to make the fans happy with today. We seen what the results are. The drivers said themselves that it was definitely going to great for the fans but a nightmare for the drivers. I think it's time NASCAR started taking in to consideration what the drivers have to say instead of worrying about their revenue. If the fans say the races are boring, then they are not fans. They're crash fanatics

Let's all pray for the Earnhardt family and pray for Sterling Marlin as well.

Sly
Old 02-18-2001, 08:42 PM
Geek

Unhappy

Dale Earnhardt Sr. dead at 49
Seven-time Winston Cup champion Dale Earnhardt Sr. died today after a crash at the Daytona 500. Earnhardt Sr. was 49. The accident happened a half-mile from the finish of the NASCAR season opener when Earnhardt, running fourth, hit Sterling Marlin, slammed into a wall in the high-banked fourth turn and was hit hard by Ken Schrader.

http://www.cnn.com
Old 02-18-2001, 09:03 PM

Nascar just released the info about Earnhardt. He was pronounced dead at the scene of head injuries.

This has got to suck for Waltrip. He won his first race and his car owner dies during the race.

Sterling Marlin isn't very happy about it either.

I wouldn't doubt a bit, if NASCAR doesn't do something about the drivers safety, you might see the first NASCAR drivers strike. I wouldn't call this ridiculous either. We've had three drivers in the past two seasons (and this season just started today) that have died due to head injuries. The drivers have already said that they are very concerned about it. It's time NASCAR pulled their heads out of their a**es and done something. It's one thing to make the fans happy, but they need to think about driver safety first.

Sly
Old 02-18-2001, 09:09 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy This sucks!

My condolences to the Earnhardt family.Godspeed Dale.NASCAR was better for your contributions!
Old 02-18-2001, 09:25 PM
Inactive User

Love him or hate him,he was a racer.I myself am taking this hard,I wanted the boys to trounce him good ,but I guess thats not going to happen now.He lost his life doing what he loved best,so its not for nothing ,I guess.
Old 02-18-2001, 09:37 PM
Inactive User

Nascar will never be the same...nuff said. Hats off to a great driver. Even though I wasnt a big Earnhardt fan, I think I will miss seeing him make the races interesting....so long Dale.
Old 02-18-2001, 09:59 PM
Inactive User

Angry

Even though I was p*ssed at Dale for blocking Sterling I was saddened to hear of this death.
Even though I am a devout MOPAR fan I feel like the motorsport world has lost a real "character" type guy.
Love him or hate him, You will never see him again, he is gone forever. I don't know about you but when someone loses their life like this it really makes me not want to take life for granted.
My condolances to the family and all who loved him.

MOPAR TO YA,
Old 02-18-2001, 10:14 PM
Inactive User

I was flabberghasted when I heard Earnhart was injured, but now that he is dead I feel even worse. It didn't look like a bad wreck like the one involving Tony Stewart and 17 others. My heart felt condolences go out to the whole Nascar family. It's a terrible day in Nascar history
Old 02-18-2001, 10:46 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy

I was watching the race today and I said to myself that the Intimidator was driving like it was his last race, Like he knew it was his last race and he drove the way and acted the way that ever so characterized his life. It is a great loss and the world of nascar and all that it is about has taken a very hard blow that will take a long time to heal. Ican only imagine what little E and Michael Waltrip feel right now. I know he is in a better place and he will be missed
Old 02-18-2001, 11:21 PM
LARGE member

Sitting here watching the report on CNNSi as I type this. They are saying that he was dead when the first EMT got to his car. As near as they can tell, trauma to the base of brain. The thing that makes it really hard to believe is that the wreck LOOKED so ho-hum. Looking at the big wreck that Tony Stewart and others were involved in, THAT is the wreck that you thought would've killed somebody. The INTIMIDATOR will surely be missed!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2001, 11:59 PM
Inactive User

I've never had the privelege of meeting the man, yet my eyes are glassy right now and my throat is tight. What harsh news.
Old 02-19-2001, 12:19 AM
Inactive User

Boy I have watched him hit the wall several times on replay and it doesn't really look all that bad (I realize it was probably 180+ MPH) but when you consider the HOME DEPOT car flipped and disentigrated and all the driver got was a concussion . . . WOW.

But at least he was doing his thing, on the last lap of the Superbowl of NASCAR
Old 02-19-2001, 12:20 AM

rusty... yes, i too did not agree with what earnhardt was doing at the close of the race. but it was NOT for his own ego... he did it to give his good friend his first NASCAR win and his son a strong 2nd place finish.
Old 02-19-2001, 12:21 AM
12.5" Rod Member

It will change now that Dale is gone. Yes the crash wasn't that bad but Dale loved to drive with as little restriction as possible. He always wore an open face helmet, said a full face restricted his vision and he felt like a robbot. He wouldn't wear a hung device either and didn't like the harness to tight, so he could whip that big wheel around and man could he drive. I had the pleasure of covering a number of races the Big guy was in and I tell he loved life as much as he loved racing. He did it his way but always had an open ear from even the most junior members of his team. He always had time for his fans as well. I think what made Dale so well loved was his honest passion for the sport. I recall one incident when Dale came into the pits and told his crew that "it's shakin so bad my arms were asleep for the last 10 laps" they asked if he wanted to crawl out and he laughed and said "when I can't get into first then I'll call it quits" well they poped the jack and Dale was into first and gone. There wasn't much left of the Tire that was causin the vibration that he left behind. Dale finished that race it was the 1998 Daytona 500.

Not many of us get to "Live the Dream" and fewer still are willing to share it. Dale you have left many freinds and fans behind our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

Till We Meet Again.........