Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-19-2001, 01:40 PM
Inactive User

I have a 67 B-Body (Coronet) 4-door. It has a 318 right now but I have a line on a 440 with drivetrain. I was wondering how hard it would be to make the swap. What else will I need to change to handle the increased weight and power? What about the little stuff like linkages and clearance? A 440 was an option in that year so I know it should fit. I just want to be prepared.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2001, 07:58 PM
Inactive User

Mother, do you have a line on a complete donor car or just the engine/trans? I've responded to a few of these types of questions lately. It seems the most economical way to get the most bang for the $. I always recommend getting a factory service manual before tearing anything down. I would want to review the schematics, linkage assemblies, etc. to see what is different and what needs to be replaced/modified. The engine/trans is an easy fit. You need to change motor mounts, the transmission mount, and get a cross member out of a big block car if you don't have one already, as well as a new drive shaft. You also will need a bigger radiator to handle the cooling. The other thing I would check out is the rear end; I plead ignorance on what they stuck in the small block cars, but I would want an 83/4 unit that will stand up to the increased power. I don't know if you are going with stock exhaust manifolds or putting on headers, but I would at least upgrade the exhaust pipes to 2.5 inches.
Old 02-20-2001, 09:37 AM
Inactive User

It is just the engine and drivetrain. I think it is out of a truck. I have been reading up on this subject and already know I will have to upgrade the front suspension and cooling. I am pretty sure I have a 8 3/4 rear end already. I will probably stick with stock manifolds for clearance reasons. What about the wiring? I was thinking a kit from someone like Painless Wiring. That is kinda what makes me nervous. Thanks for the info. I just want to know what to expect before I start tearing things apart.
Old 02-20-2001, 11:45 AM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

On the wiring you will have to do some minor extensions but nothing major. You can do it yourself. Forget Painless.

Ont he linkages the throttle cable can be used even though they say you need the big block cable. The kickdown linkage you will need however but if that is not available then I would buy the Lokay kickdown cable and brackets from Summit or someplace else that carries Lokar. I like this kit and it works extremely well. You will need a shorter drive shaft unless your 318 had a 727 behind it. If its a 904 behind the 318 then you will also need a different yoke for the trans as the 904 and 727 yokes are different splines.

K-members b-body cars used the same k-member for all v-8 cars except the Hemi. You will just need the ears and mounts for the 440 in that car and not the truck ones. I may have an extra set around here that I have been saving I could get you a picture of.

The radiator is a must as is the torsion bars if you want better handling also a sway bar if yours doesnt have it would be a good upgrade.

If I think of anything else I will post

Christian
Old 02-20-2001, 01:35 PM
Inactive User

Glad to hear about the wiring. I am not good with electrical stuff yet. I thought I was going to have to get a whole new harness. What about front springs? Will they have to be replaced with stronger ones? Anyways thanks for the info. I think I have the major stuff worked out I just need the small details.
Old 02-20-2001, 03:37 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

the springs as you call them are actually the torsion bars I mentioned. They are available new for each body and engine size.
If you want the best handling car you will want to go to the engine size your car will be 440 or higher Hemi for a b-body.

the smae little details will take you the longest as half the time you don't relize you need something till you go to put it on and its not there.

One thing to think about does this engine have the pulleys on it?
Also does your car have powersteering and does the 440 have the powersteering box and brackets and pulleys for power steering??
The pulleys for cars powersteering are different from manual cars and cars with a/c are a totally different set of pulleys. Big Block and small block pulleys look the same but don't work.