Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > MOPAR NASCAR!

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-19-2001, 03:11 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy

I've been a fan of the Man in Black since I was 15. We all knew exactly how he raced. He raced hard as Hell and would run you off the road to get in front of you, then come and shake your hand. He had that way about him. I have never, ever, ever seen him block for anyone. He was being a father and a friend holding back Marlin, Schrader and the rest. It is very ironic that in doing what he normally didn't do, in giving to someone else, on the very last lap of the biggest race of the season, the greatest driver of all time died.

I work at Bristol Motor Speedway, and you hear all kinds of stories. I have known Marlin to be a real ass to people at the track, and he may in fact be an ass but he didn't get into Earnhardt to cause what happened. This was not murder, this was racing and in fact it was racing in the style of driving that Earnhardt invented. He did in fact die by his own rules.

This guy has set up a petition that will be delievered to NASCAR president Mike Helton asking NASCAR to honor Earnhardt by retiring his number 3. This really is not a joke. Go to the link below and click on it, it will take you to the place to do this.
http://www.petitiononline.com/DaleE3/petition.html .

Thanks guys, lets let him be rememberd.
Old 02-19-2001, 03:19 PM

I'll sign it, but I think it's only right to let the Earnhardt family have the final decision in this matter. It's possible that Dale Jr. might take over the driving position of that Goodwrench #3 car. The Earnhardt team are ones the who have the rights to the number, not NASCAR. NASCAR can only retire the number if the Earnhardt team is willing to give it up for NASCAR to do so.
Old 02-19-2001, 03:36 PM
Inactive User

Which is exactly the whole point, to show public support of the maneuver. We can't exactly send a petition to Dale Jr. telling him to drive the 3 car. I would be tickled pink if he did, but he has a contract with Budweiser.
Old 02-19-2001, 04:14 PM
Sanddollarcharters.com

Lightbulb

Rameve: Ditto. Been a fan of the man in black....

Don't wanna retire #3 though. I want them to let Dale Jr. have it.

BTW Don't believe all that crap you hear about Sterling Marlin outing him, or a heart attack or any of that mess.

Dale Earnhardt died doing what he did best....If he were here today to tell you he would say: "That's Racin'"
Old 02-25-2001, 02:35 PM
Inactive User

Default dont agree

that would not be fair to the other decesed drivers--besides, dale is gone and will be missed-no doubt-but dont kill the number that he worked so hard to make a household name-think about this
Old 02-25-2001, 02:46 PM
Inactive User

Angry So don't sign it

Other drivers weren't 7 time champs. Other drivers didn't have millions of fans, proven by the fact that in the 90's more Earnhardt paraphenalia was sold than any of the 5 highest grossing rock bands COMBINED!!!(espn.com). I did think about it, if you don't agree then don't sign the son of a bitch. If Jr. can't drive that number, or if he doesn't want to, then it outta be hung up for good!
Old 02-25-2001, 05:40 PM
ram1500

I've signed the petition already, this past week. I agree with the idea of retiring #3, but on the other hand, I also believe that if Dale Jr. ever wants to run the #3 after his contract with Budweiser is up, he should be able to. I just don't want to see the #3 on the side of anybodie's car unless their last name is Earnhardt.
Old 02-25-2001, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sly Fox
I'll sign it, but I think it's only right to let the Earnhardt family have the final decision in this matter. It's possible that Dale Jr. might take over the driving position of that Goodwrench #3 car. The Earnhardt team are ones the who have the rights to the number, not NASCAR. NASCAR can only retire the number if the Earnhardt team is willing to give it up for NASCAR to do so.
Actually Richard Childress owns the rights to number 3.
Old 02-26-2001, 09:06 AM
Inactive User

Angry BAD ATTITUDE

I SPOKE MY MIND ABOUT THE SITUATION--YOU NEED TO TAKE YOUR ATTITUDE AND GO SOMEWHERE ELSE-THIS IS A SITE FOR CIVIL PEOPLE-NOT HULLIGANS AS YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2001, 10:10 AM
ram1500

Angry

Grancoupe, RamEVE was simply asking people to sign the petition, if you don't want to sign it, then don't, it's totally up to you. Just don't say somebody tried to force you to and tell them they have an attitude problem!!!!
Old 02-28-2001, 12:10 AM
Inactive User

I respect everyone's opinion, but:

I think the #3 should stay out there and win races. As the years go by, the cars' numbers, the drivers' numbers, and the sponsors change. Years from now we will see that #3 on the track and we will remember who once drove it. One day, that #3 might have another great driver behind it's wheel.

I personally remember Dale in his yellow and blue Wrangler car. Every time I see the Texaco car, I remember Davey. There are others. I have too many fond memories of all the drivers and their cars and don't want any of them left out of future events.

Billy
Old 02-28-2001, 06:50 PM

Thumbs up

Well Put Billy!
Old 03-01-2001, 09:01 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin oh yea

this is true-leave the #3 out there so a dodge can blow it's doors off-and they will
Old 03-02-2001, 12:29 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up yup

I guess in the immediate wake of death, alot of people get going on something with so much emotion without thinking about it. I still think that 3 should be only Jr's option, or have it retired. No one else brought NASCAR out into the public, and no matter who you cheered for Earnhardt was a factor. You cheered or you booed, but he was a factor in everyones race day. If you cheered, he had spun someone out and that was "just racin" if you booed he had spun someone out and that was "dirty driving". The booers were the new age hippies and yankees that started liking NASCAR and don't know where it's origins are. If you dont wanna see that kind of driving, go watch F1.
Old 03-09-2001, 10:06 PM

I too was a fan of the "INTIMIDATOR".Have been for many years.I also agree that the #3 should be retired.
Old 03-12-2001, 11:41 AM
Plutonium Member

Putting this all in perspective, the number 43 was not retired when Richard Petty retired and he won 7 championships AND 200 NASCAR races. I always thought that he was the greatest driver NASCAR ever had with Dale Earnhart being the second greatest.
I'm still pretty much shocked not to see Dale racing and then remembering what I'm trying to forget.
Old 03-13-2001, 07:04 PM
Inactive User

The number 3 is reserved by Richard Childress Racing Inc. (RCR). Really Dale Jr, or Dale Earnhardt Inc. (DEI) have no say in the matter. It's between RCR and NASCAR. Remember Jr. drives for DEI, not RCR.
Right now Richard Childress has placed the number in semi-retirement voluntarily. I think RCR will allow the number to go to DEI sooner or later anyway, then Jr. would most likely drive a #3 car. It might or might not be black, and almost definitely not a Goodwrench car.
But it would be a #3 car driven by an Earnhardt.

Oh, by the way, Richard Petty was a seven time Winston Cup Champ and won 200 races. His #43 is still active, and rightfully so.

Remember the Man, not the car.
Old 03-26-2001, 03:13 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

NO WAY!! To retire this is a slap to all those others who lost their lives in the sport they loved,,You Big E fans need to wake up here,,The man was a icon in his sport and a champion,,But all the others who lost their lives ,do they deserve their #'s retired also,,Many great racers have lost their lives in on track incidents,, Think of of them Fireball Roberts,Curtis Turner,Tiny Lund,Petty,Irwin,Nemecheck and so on,, Retire it,and you diminish their importance in the sport you all enjoy,,Let the man rest and his number carry on,,He was a Icon ,champion and a legend in the sport but not a hero,,Hero's are the people who put their rears on the line every day to allow us to do and enjoy the things we live for,but ,THEY certainly DO NOT GET all the attention Big E has gotten,and its a shame!!!!