Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-29-2000, 12:48 AM
Inactive User

Just got the car on the road yesterday.1967 a-body, 383, torqueflite,stock rebuild.B&M holeshot 3000 converter ,430 gear 750
holley double pumper,M1 intake,474 lift,MP cam 9.6 to 1cr
As I start off with the car I can feel it shift into 2nd then it's at around 2000 going down the roadbut I can't feel it shift into 3rd.
I'm not able to really go that quick with the car in the area I live in but shouldn't it shift into
3rd gear.I was able to stomp on it briefly and I think it shifted into 3rd.How can I know for sure.
I did install a BM shift in the valve body
following the competition instructions.Does this play a part in that 3rd gear shift.
I do have a car lot I can test the car in and
I'm heading for the Mopar Atlantic Nationals at Englishtown ,New Jersey.
This is my first competition car and most of this is all new to me.Any input is appreciated.
Old 05-29-2000, 11:25 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

On my car 68 a-body Cuda 383/727 sometimes 1st would shift and I didnt notice it but the shift I noticed and thought was the 1-2 shift was really the 2-3 shift. The adjustment you need to look at is the kikdown linkage as this tells the tranny at what RPM to shift at. the closer to the front of the tranny the lower th shift the farther towards the rear of the tranny the higher the shift point. I usually set mine with a light pressure on the lever and its usually alamost perpendicular to the tranny. On mine I dont have a linkage at this point if you have linkage try adjusting it. If you dont have linkage and dont have anything hooked up to hold the lever back even slightly then the 1-2 shift is done almost immediately and you are feeling the 2-3 shift.

I may be wrong on some of this so if anyone knows differently correct me.

Christian

------------------
68 'Cuda 383 Formula S recreation
Working on adding EFI
69 'Cuda Race Parts Car
76 Duster 273 recent transplant
95 Neon 2.0 SOHC best of 16.96
84 Dodge Ram D50 transplanting 360
Old 05-30-2000, 02:08 AM
Inactive User

With out any kickdown linkage you will cook your tranny. It needs line pressure. I used to tie mine back about half way and it wouldn't get third untilaround 3000rpm in second. Also when you put a shift kit in it can change everything. When I had kickdown linkage i set it so at wide open throttle it was all the way back. I manually shifted anyway.If you want to put it in drive and drive it you will have to play around with it until it shifts where you want it. Mopar makes a good shift kit. At light throttle it shifts soft and at full chirps the tires. I made a huge ram air cleaner with a 4 inch drop so I can't use kickdown. The ram air was good for .15 and 2 mph. I just put in a manual valve body kit with forward pattern. It is set up with full line pressure all the time. I hope it works good. All I would do is go through the gears manually and see if it hits third. 4.30 gears will rev high. I've gone looking for fourth once when I changed the gears cause it sounded like second.
Old 05-30-2000, 02:19 AM
Inactive User

The way I adjusted my kick down was to swap in a 4-speed Seriously the way I adjust it is to have someone put the accelerator to the floor, this way you can also check to see if the carb opens all the way. If not and you adjust the tranny and later find out the carb didn't open all the way, you'll have to adjust the tranny again. With the throttle at WOT push the kick down linkage as far back as it can go. Obviously it shouldn't hit anything. There should be about an 1/8 inch gap between the throttle lever and the slot on the tranny linkage. Bend the linkage as necessary to get that gap. Only if its close. If its way off, try different pieces of linkage. You probally have the 3 piece linkage. On the tranny I seen 2 different levers out there. One sits further back then the other requiring longer linkage. I've had no problems adjusting the tranny this way. Also make sure you have a spring that pulls the tranny linkage towards the carb lever to take all the slack out of the linkage. I forgot this once 1 to 2 was good but I lifted up a little and it winded out then went into thrid. The spring will keep the linkage in contact with the carb lever so that the tranny knows exactly where the throttle is. Good Luck
Old 05-30-2000, 03:13 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Gromski:
Just got the car on the road yesterday.1967 a-body, 383, torqueflite,stock rebuild.B&M holeshot 3000 converter ,430 gear 750
holley double pumper,M1 intake,474 lift,MP cam 9.6 to 1cr
As I start off with the car I can feel it shift into 2nd then it's at around 2000 going down the roadbut I can't feel it shift into 3rd.
I'm not able to really go that quick with the car in the area I live in but shouldn't it shift into
3rd gear.I was able to stomp on it briefly and I think it shifted into 3rd.How can I know for sure.
I did install a BM shift in the valve body
following the competition instructions.Does this play a part in that 3rd gear shift.
I do have a car lot I can test the car in and
I'm heading for the Mopar Atlantic Nationals at Englishtown ,New Jersey.
This is my first competition car and most of this is all new to me.Any input is appreciated.
I'm using the Lokar kickdown cable does anyone have experience with these.the way I have it adjusted is with the acclerator held to the floor the lever on the trans is all the way back. Is this correct.