Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Rumors and Gossip, etc...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

View Poll Results: Should Dodge make the 2004 Charger RT?
Heck Yea !! 400 90.09%
Yes 36 8.11%
No 5 1.13%
No way !! 3 0.68%
Voters: 444. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2001, 01:25 AM
Inactive User

I heard for the longest time that dodge was for sure going to make the 2004 charger. Now i'm hearing that dodge has decided not to make it! I've been wanting to buy one every since i first saw it... please somebody out there tell me i've heard wrong.

What have yall heard?

Poll: Should dodge build the new 2004 Charger RT?

Thanks,
Old 02-20-2001, 09:18 PM
Inactive User

I would want it to be in 2 and 4 doors with RWD!! and V-8.
Old 02-20-2001, 11:07 PM
Inactive User

Default Maybe i should provide some info on it

It is proposed to have 4 doors.. although the back two are hard to recognize.. and it is Rear wheel drive!
Here are a few links for more info on it:
http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/concept/charger.htm

http://www.motortrend.com//autoshows...t/dodge_f.html
Old 02-23-2001, 02:27 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Have you guys noticed how many views this topic has gotten(Not responces but views) THis topic is the most common in this area and one of the most talked about.
There is SO much interest in a Charger R/T I think DC would be shooting themselves in the foot if they DONT produce a CharderR/T...By charger R/T I mean Mosre than an intrepid with a 4.7 Liter motor and 220bhp...If they build it all I want is a stick and 350hp..I dotn care if its a 4door hatchback..when Im sitting in it I cant see the doors or the hatch, but I certainly CAN see the guy in the next lane. And if he isnt consistantly behind me, I will be pissed.
My .02
Maxwedge
Old 02-23-2001, 07:12 PM
Inactive User

Maxwedge, I couldn't agree more. The ultimate for me , however, would be a 2 door version of the car they showed. I don't need or want the extra 2 doors. But I'll be happy with RWD and that new hemi under the hood - even if it's an automatic.
Old 02-24-2001, 01:50 AM

Thumbs up

With MOPAR in NASCAR now,they almost have to make the car.That body design that I have seen would scare the hell out of the Monte Carlo's on the track........notice I didn't mention ford's........they will never be any competition
Old 02-24-2001, 03:55 AM
Extra Stout

2-door all the way. If you want a performance 4-door sedan get a 300M. Give us poor boys our 2-door RWD V8 powered automobiles back!!!! We have waited too long. Also, keep the price well below $30,000.

A base line strip down 300hp (Road Runner type) should be around $20,000 to $22,000. GTX type 350hp, still below $30,000 but, with all the goodies.
Old 02-25-2001, 12:39 AM

From everything that I have read, on many different sites. The Charger R/T will not be built (at least not one that looks like the concept). Rumor has it that they may build a 2 door version.

Alot will depend on what the restructering is going to do. With all of the cuts and poor German vision, I doubt that it will get the green light. If it does, it will probably be just a Mitsubishi/Dodge Hybred with a Daimler engine (yes they are projecting the use of Daimler V6's and V8's in the Chrysler line up).
Old 02-27-2001, 06:56 PM
Inactive User

Currently, it WILL be built for 2004. It will be RWD, 5.7L "Hemi" powered. It will be based on the next generation LH platform, currently called "LX" The 5.7L Hemi is a dual plug 350HP motor, looks like it might be a 4-6-8!

Of course, this could all be changed at the drop of a hat.
Old 02-27-2001, 07:26 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

with all this talk of using Mercedes v-6s and v-8s..and with the stalling of the new Hemi, I almost doubt the 353 Hemi is going to be in the cars OR trucks..the only problem with this is the fact that Mercedes only has the Production facilities to make something like 1.5-2 million engines, that just covers them alone, what about covering Chrysler in a bad year, 6 million engines...The germans also Dont like american workers and REFUSE to let US make their engines in the US. (all the engines used in the Mercedes SUVs are built in Germany)SO that means the Germans are going to have to Build engine plants in Germany to supply Chrysler with Motors....then we have the added cost of shipping them across the ocean..how is this supposed to be cheeper?
The germans are in the deep end of the pool and the only guys who have a clue, they fired or pushed out..
Lutz and Gail, Casting(sp) and Stalkamp
I think they have painted themselves into a corner...hopefully Chrysler wont get dependant on Mercedes engines.
The only good thing that can come out of this whole deal is IF they let the engineers design Engines that kick butt again, like in the 60's..No compremises=no competition
My .02..rant over
Maxwedge
Old 02-27-2001, 08:03 PM
Caught Dodge Fever

Default Ditto!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ram-N-Time
2-door all the way. If you want a performance 4-door sedan get a 300M. Give us poor boys our 2-door RWD V8 powered automobiles back!!!! We have waited too long. Also, keep the price well below $30,000.

A base line strip down 300hp (Road Runner type) should be around $20,000 to $22,000. GTX type 350hp, still below $30,000 but, with all the goodies.
I agree with Ram-N-Time; The RoadRunner did wonders for them when it was "unleashed". (Although, this is not the same Chrysler.)

This topic reminds me of the Venom a few years back when they decided not to produce it because of "brand loyalty".

The other flaw with the vehicle listed in the links above is the CNG. CNG is great for the environment but to this day, I have never seen a CNG "pump" at any gas station.
Old 02-27-2001, 08:03 PM
Inactive User

Again, it WILL be built. The 5.7L WILL be built WILL be in trucks, and WILL be in the Charger. The 5.7L equipment is slated for Toluca, Mexico production.
Old 02-27-2001, 08:05 PM
Inactive User

It will not be CNG, it will be gas. As is often the case, concept cars are used to experiment will new technology. Anotehr example is the Citadel, which WILL be produced as the CS platform. Rather than a hybrid electric powertrain, the production car will have a 3.5L gas engine made in Kenosha, WI. The plant is being built as we speak.
Old 02-27-2001, 08:53 PM

Moparjimbo - Unless you are an insider and not getting your information from rumor mil web sites, I will believe it when I see it.

They have gone back and forth a couple of times about the production of this vehicle. Now that the Germans are making major cost cuts, I question if it will be built.

I definately wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 02-27-2001, 11:11 PM
Inactive User

I am an electrical engineer working for Chrysler at the Kenosha Engine Plant.
Old 02-28-2001, 11:08 AM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Moparjimbo
Not that I am doubting what your saying, BUT why do you think Mercedes is saying that V-6s and V-8s will find their way into chryslers? the 353(I hate saying 5.7liter, too Chevy) and the 4.7 are going to be used in everything arent they?

If Chrysler builds the Citadel...I might just have to pony up to a 2nd new Mopar......
Maxwedge
Old 02-28-2001, 12:57 PM
Inactive User

Looks like we might use Mercedes engines as well for some of our stuff. They will probably have one of our plants here build them. The 4.7L and 5.7L will be in some stuff, not all. My belief is this is part over their plan to bleed us dry - they force us to buy/build their overpriced engines! Mercedes makes money, we lose money. That looks like what they are doing already with the diesels over in Europe.
Old 02-28-2001, 12:59 PM
Inactive User

Almost forgot - definitely we are setting up to build their 5spd automatic RWD transmission at the Indiana Transmission Plant. Looks like that will go into these RWD LX cars is my assumption.
Old 02-28-2001, 01:06 PM
Inactive User

And we ARE building the Citadel. None of this stuff is really even "insider" information. Reporters must be stupid, because the 3.5L CS expansion plant here in Kenosha has been announced over and over again, there is a huge sign out front about the 3.5L CS program, and the plant building is nearign completion. It is not too hard to find out the CS is the Citadel/crossover sport utility vehicle.

The latest "rumors" are it may be delayed 6 months due to either 1)the execs didn't like the way the rear end looked and are restyling it, or 2)they didn't get a 5 star crash rating and are redesigning to meet that target.

The 5.7L project at Toluca has also been announced, as has the 5speed trans at ITP.

With all the people involved at "occupied" Chrysler and all the suppliers, you'd think the reporters could do a better job finding out whats going on.
Old 02-28-2001, 01:39 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

is that a 5 speed manual or auto??and I thought they were going to redesign the front end(according to car-truck) I had seen the prototype at the AUbrun Cord Duesenburg festival in AUburn Indiana in 1999. The grill was OK but the rest of the car was to Die for..also according to Car-truck the cam bore on the new 353 tended to tweek the cam bearings and thus the release date was pushed back until that was fixed...this(again according to car-truck) is the reason that the 353 wont be offered in the first year of the new Ram..your thoughts MoparJimbo(Behind the enemie lines at occupied Chrysler)
Old 02-28-2001, 01:45 PM
Inactive User

5 speed auto. I hadn't heard the cam bearing deal, but I have heard there is difficulty getting everything done with the 4-6-8 operation and a few other targets they are trying to meet. It sounds like a pretty high-tech complicated engine control system.
Old 02-28-2001, 03:07 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

5 speed auto..YUK..if it comes with only autos, Im getting a 68 CHarger...YUKYUKYUK
for stuff on the engine cam bearign Issue
http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b020801.htm
car-truck rocks
Maxwedge
Old 02-28-2001, 08:45 PM

Question

If this article is true, then the Toluca plant won't be making anything for long because it is scheduled for closing at the end of the year! http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b022701.htm
Old 02-28-2001, 08:58 PM
Inactive User

different Toluca plant - I believe Toluca assembly is closing. Toluca engine will still be running, possible moved to Saltillo but will still make the 5.7L nonetheless.
Old 02-28-2001, 09:02 PM
Inactive User

I'm sorry Toluca transmission is closing, Toluca assembly builds the PT Cruiser and there is no way thats shutting down!!

Read your own article more carefully!

Trust me, I design the electrical controls systems for the machines that build Chrysler's powertrains. CNCs, automation, robots, etc. I work with all of our major vendors. I know whats going on to some small extent. I am not privy to top level plans, top secret shit, etc. but I have a fair idea what is going on in the next couple of years in the future.
Old 02-28-2001, 09:10 PM

So IF the Charger is to be built, will it look anything like the concept car?
I think we are all skeptical about the Charger because of the on-and-off announcements and the last one I saw on car-truck said the 300 will be built, possily without the Hemi and there was no mention of the Charger even though it was said to have been on the same platform.

After rereading the article while you were posting, I did see that there were more than one plant in Toluca!
Old 03-01-2001, 06:20 PM
Inactive User

I'm not sure what it will look like, that stuff is closely guarded. Usually similar to the concept cars at least.
Old 03-03-2001, 04:08 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Hay,moparjimbo sounds good,but I also will not hold my breath.I hope your right,please keep us posted.
Old 03-05-2001, 10:28 AM

Exclamation Charger (?) V-8 RWD

Considering the yes-no-yes-no roller coaster we've been on, I look forward to future announcements, but with a little skepticism!
http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b030501.htm
Old 03-05-2001, 11:27 AM

Cut short, here is what the guy over at car-truck has to say:

"The bad news is that its still dead. If you want a Charger R/T concept your only options are to get one of Donie's awesome prints or the Hot Wheels replica. The good news . . . one of my Ace Buzz Patrollers reports that Chrysler has heard the consumers and is developing a vehicle that will celebrate Dodge's performance heritage and please Muscle car fans.

Wether it will carry the Charger badge or perhaps another Dodge performance name (Challenger for example) is still unknown. The only thing I know for sure, is that it will be a modern take on the classic RWD muscle car and that V8 power will be available. My source promises that Mopar muscle car fans "will not be disappointed." Barring any major changes, the Dodge Muscle Car will be showing up in 2005."

Just remember that what this guy has to say is normally based on rumor or speculation. Sometimes he is on the mark, sometimes he is way off.