Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-21-2001, 03:41 AM
Inactive User

I just got a set of XHD leaf springs for a 70 Hemicuda and the front bushing is too small for the bolt!!! Called MP and they said unfortunately they installed the wrong bushing but theres nothing they can do about it.....nice......clowns........I can just see it now,a room full of people building leaf springs all wearing red clown noses...............PRO............
Old 02-21-2001, 09:56 AM
Inactive User

GOLLEY GOMER what do you expect us to do??? HA HA!! They are about cost cutting not spending. How dare you to find a problem and want Mopar to spend money to fix it. Is this any different than the spark knock problem that 30 % of the trucks are having? They act like it is too hard to find the problem, or fix the problem.
Sorry if I came on too stong. but they really do have a problem that needs addressed, and it must start at the top. I don't feel that we have a Mopar like we had 10 years ago . It is becoming a GM.
fox
Old 02-21-2001, 10:42 AM
Inactive User

At least GM has decent performace products. Don't get me wrong, I hate GM, but MP has got to get their act together. PRO and I have had 2 LA 360 short blocks that were incorrectly assembled. Granted they did take care of the problem, but come on.
Old 02-22-2001, 11:43 PM
Inactive User

Angry

I'm concerned. It seems like quality control has hit the skids at Mopar Perf. I have only bought a few items from them in recent years, but never had any problems. I'm wondering if they are going to become the next GER? Sure hope not!!!!!!!!!!!djs
Old 02-23-2001, 12:05 AM
Inactive User

fox,where have you been,detonation on dodge trucks has been around for 4 yrs,and was solved 3 yrs ago,BAD INTAKE GASKETS.........sorry if I came on too strong................PRO.................
Old 02-23-2001, 09:24 AM
Inactive User

Default spark knock solved?

Read the many posts especially in the truck section. Spark knock has not been solved. There is speculation that defective crankshafts are suspect. I read that they have found cranks that are indexed wrong ( throws are not timed at 90 degrees from each other ) and that some are found to have extra stroke. AS you know the distance the piston travels affects the compression ratio, all else staying the same.
Many things do affect the spark knock issue. It is my guess that Ma mopar knows that there is a bunch of crankshafts in use that are the cause and it would put heavy expense on them to fix. It appears that their 'answer' is to detune the motor. OK, now does the customer have what he/she bought? 230/245 HP tuned to maybe 190/200. Not ever acceptable in my book. Or how about looking at it this way, 15/17 MPG converted to 12/13. This is only one thing DECEIT
fox
Old 02-23-2001, 09:42 AM

I talked to some of the guys in the ram chat and they said that the newer dodge trucks aren't running an egr valve. That's the problem in my opinion. Just add that valve and it'd all be solved.
Old 02-23-2001, 03:41 PM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

Has the new 4.7 had ANY of these problems? Spark knock etc.
Old 02-23-2001, 04:18 PM

Unhappy Spark knock

I have the '97 Ram 1500. I have never heard a spark knock until three months ago. Now it is every day. When I go up a long hill on the freeway, The overdrive kicks down to 3rd and then I hear the knock really bad. I have to back way off for it to stop. I am running 92 octane premium. What can I do? I am just now hearing about this problem with others.
Old 02-23-2001, 08:34 PM
Inactive User

Default hey toolman

I hope you have a service contract toolman! At 46,000 miles I had the same problem with my '96 Ram 1500 , it started knocking once in awhile, usually during hard acceleration. Then it started knocking for a few seconds upon startup. It got to a point where it would knock lightly during steady cruising. I had the extended warranty so I took it to my "friendly" Dodge dealer. They suspected it was a bad knock sensor. After working on it all day they called back and said they were going to install a new shortblock. When it was finished I talked to the tech that changed the engine (they ordered a longblock instead of a shortblock, what a shame!) and he showed me the problem, the #1 rod bearing was toast. I don't know if it was the crank or the rod that was to blame. The dealer tried to say that I ran it out of oil. The truck never used more than a half quart between oil changes (3000 miles)

I don't know if it's still around but there was a site named "my Dodge Ram is a piece of Sh*t" with all kinds of similar tales.
Old 02-23-2001, 08:57 PM
Inactive User

Some people have good luck with their Rams and others not. What day was your motor built: Monday or Friday. I have a 96 1500 with 58000 miles and never heard a knock or ping even with cheap gas. But I will not mention the trans because mine lasted 47000 miles. Thank god I purchased the 5/50 extended. Now I need to do my valley pan seal. I call it RAMtine Maintanance.
Old 02-24-2001, 09:47 AM
Inactive User

Pro, I would order a rear Energy Suspension hiper-flex bushing kit for your car. I have the complete front and rear kit for the Cuda. There products are not as hard as other poly venders.
Old 02-24-2001, 02:15 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the tip Flyboy,as far as detonation on dodge trucks goes,Ive had 5 94 and newer trucks in the shop,all 360s,ALL had leaking intake gaskets,detectable by spraying carb cleaner,ALL were using oil,the gasket had also failed on the underside.I have a good friend at Chrysler,He is their Lead tech,goes to ALL training,He replied that the "crankshaft" theory doesnt exist,and that He has seen 3 rod bearing failures on 318/360,He also said that all 3 had oil leaks and most likely thought the failure was due to low oil levels..............PRO..........
Old 02-25-2001, 09:53 PM
Inactive User

the problem must not lie in just the v-8's. a budy of mine has the v-6 and his truck has been back three times for knock. they did replace the intake gaskets and reprogramed the computer. strange isn't it. One flunky told him the knock wouldn't hurt the motor. I told him they were crazy and go talk to the owner of the dealership.
Old 05-21-2002, 09:41 PM
Inactive User

Post bad rams

I had a '98 ram with the 5.9 and it started spark knocking at 15000 miles, I took it in to the dealership and they gave me the run aruond about the intake gasket and changed it. Well the knocking continued, so I took it in again and they reflashed the computer and guess what, it still knocked. I took it in a third time and they replaced the plugs, wires, and cap and it still did it! I traded it in with 30000 miles on it. I now have a 2001 Off Roader and I hope to God it doesn't start that crap. I heard that if you put in Champion Truck plugs it helps.

MOPAR= Massively Over Powered and Respected
Old 05-22-2002, 01:34 AM
Inactive User

What a blast from the past. 15 months is a long time.
Old 05-22-2002, 01:41 AM
Inactive User

Yikes you guys are scaring me away from my new Hemi truck this fall...