Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-16-2000, 05:23 PM
Inactive User

Greetings, gents
Put a new dual friction clutch in the RR. Adjusted the free play 1.5" from the TOP of the pedal travel. Start car, it appears that my linkage is adjusted incorrectly and is holding the clutch "in." I can also throw the trans into gear without pushing in the clutch. Ran car for about two minutes like this and heard a godawful grinding noise. Shut car down. Then I used the "search" feature at this site and pulled all the posts regarding Centerforce clutches. I still have a few questions.

I have heard that you have to remove the overcenter spring under the dash. Is this mandatory, or recommended? It does make for a very strange-feeling clutch engagement.

How tall should the clutch pedal stop be? Someone talked about putting a block of wood under their carpet. Are there any other methods? How big a block?

People mentioned having .030" clearance between the DISC and the FLYWHEEL when the clutch is engaged. Should the clutch stop be at a height that maintains this?

I hope I haven't ruined anything by the two minute run-time, and would greatly appreciate any specific info regarding adjusting these clutches. This is the first time I have used a diaphram clutch. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2000, 04:08 AM
Inactive User

First things first. Call Centreforce Tech and ask them what the recommended adjustment procedure and clearance is. Second, better find out what the noise is before you do much more of anything. Third,I'm allways amazed when I listen to guys talk about adjusting their clutches; it's obvious they have NO idea what they are trying to adjust! On most cars, the ONLY thing adjustable is the clearance between the pressure plate fingers and the forward face of the release bearing which actually causes the clutch to disengage when you depress the pedal. If all the clutch linkage is in good condition, that is, nothing bent, broken or excessively worn, everything else will be correct. Again, this applys to most vehicles,including your RR. I'm willing to bet you shouldn't have to remove the overcentre spring, I don't see what good that will do. However, there may be something about the dual friction unit which makes it necessary, but I doubt it. Please let me know what you find out. I'll be watching for your reply. Oh ya, normal clearance on most automotive clutches would be around 1/8", always use manufacturers specs if you have them.
Old 06-01-2000, 04:57 PM
Inactive User

Jackdog
Solved the mystery. Called Centerforce. They say you have to remove the overtravel spring because it is so heavy that it will bear on the throwout bearing, making adjustment impossible. Once the spring was out of there, adjustment was very straightforward. Why they don't tell you that in the installation instructions is beyond me.
The noise was due to my ignorance. I neglected to test-fit the disc on the input shaft. Well, it was binding on the splines. Pulled trans again, had to scrap the disc (which necessitated ordering a new clutch because the discs are "fitted" to the pressure plate at the factory). Replaced clutch, stabbed trans, and now it works great! The clutch pressure on these dual friction clutches is VERY light, and you don't have to depress pedal very far to release the clutch. Seems to hold very well, but I'm only at the beginning of the break-in (500 miles of street driving), so I haven't powershifted it yet. Also, Centerforce said they had heard a rumor about installing a pedal stop, but don't know where it started. They said it wasn't necessary. Thanks for the input, Jackdog.
Old 06-02-2000, 03:12 AM
Inactive User

Thanks hemigtx! I never would have guessed removing the over centre spring either. Let me know how it works once break-in is over and you can really pound it thru the gears!! Regards, Jackdog.