Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-22-2001, 07:57 PM
Inactive User

Question

I have an old 2wd pickup that started to smoke because of bad valve seals. Instead of fixing an easy problem, I decided to rebuild the entire motor. When I tore it down, I noticed that it had been bored .030 and obviously been rebuilt before. I left the bottom end the same with the oversized pistons and got all new bearings. In the upper end I added an Edlebrock dual plane intake with a Holley 750 sitting on top. I also put a 340 resto cam in with matching springs and lifters, Mopar sells them as a set. All the other meager parts I repalced too; oil pump, gaskets, filters, water pump, etc. When I first cranked the motor up, I noticed that it had low oil pressure, and the lifters were loud. I tried a new gauge, two new oil pumps, checked bearing clearance again, two new oil filters, changed the oil, put in a new pick-up tube, checked the oil pump shaft, and checked all plugs. Nothing worked. I have pulled the motor again and I'm ready to rebuild, but I don't want to repeat the same mistake again. Do I just need more olume? (pressure before was about 7psi at idle, but it would rise with rpm) Is there something wrong with my cam configuration, I have the older closed chambered heads on the truck. They worked fine before the rebuild. Nothing seems to be wrong, the bearings looked new the second time I tore it down. I am stumped.
Old 02-22-2001, 10:40 PM
Inactive User

The bearings you installed may be undersized. Check to see if your oil filter adapter is installed correctly.
Old 02-23-2001, 01:45 AM
Young Mopar Life

love the NAME!
Old 02-23-2001, 01:54 AM
Inactive User

Redneck, I know you said you checked all the plugs but just to make sure, look inside the block on the drivers side in the back by the distributor intermediate shaft bushing. There is a plug that goes in the lifter galley that usually gets forgotten by first time mopar builders. Years ago I forgot it and I never will again!
Old 02-23-2001, 09:59 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Question

RED88

Would the pressure rise to normal level when the idle went up? Or when you hit the gas?
At the back of the block on the right side (passenger side) @ the rear main underneath the cap. There is a passage way that needs a plug installed up in there. This plug will divide a passage way for the oil in & out of the filter. This plug must be there and installed all the way to its seat. You can get a pic. of it in the MoPar eng. book. There is a part # in there (i believe) for it.
With out it, low pressure will result. This may be the problem.
Old 02-23-2001, 12:05 PM
Inactive User

I agree with Moparmanjames. The plug in the lifter gallery gets missed a lot and you have to pull the distributor or the outside plug to see it.
Old 02-25-2001, 02:02 PM
Inactive User

Wink

check the cam bearing clearance--also check and see that the cam bearing oil supply holes are lined up correctly-check the mounting surface and the boss area around the oil pump for warpage or cracks--also check lifter clearance--did you have the block oil gallies rodded(cleaned) hope this helps---good luck