Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-23-2001, 10:47 AM
Inactive User

Angry

I'm sticking to SUMMIT form now on! A Friend(drives a FORD) told me to order to from jegs! So i ordered a set of plated headers and purple hornies glasspack mufflers. Everytime i'm on the phone with summit they always ask questions and always try to help as much as possible, everytime i give them a part # they tell me what it is,price, and ifits in stock! When i called JEGS they where ok the numbers, so i read the numbers, they where like,bye, no SERVICE NO HELP, NOTHING! QUALITY CONTROL---hahahaha, then when my headers came, they where missing gaskets supposed to be supplied and missing all the bolts, that where also supposed to be there!
I'm done with JEGS and can't believe i gave Jegs a sale of over $300! Oh well i guess one mistake ain't bad!
Old 02-23-2001, 04:08 PM

Too bad that happened to you. Never take advice from Ford guys. Just kidding. My wife has a T- bird and it's ok. I put a license plate frame on it that says" My other car is a Hot Rod Mopar". Anyway, I have had similar problems with just about every mail order place including Summit. It seems to be status quo. The best thing to do to avoid this problem is to find a Mopar only speed shop and get to know the guys behind the counter. Otherwise , I would call customer service at Jegs and get some satisfaction. For the most part, I have found Summit to be helpful and fast with the numbers like you said. I haven't tried Jegs, but to heed your warning, I won't use them. I have also had good luck with Mancini Racing. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2001, 07:08 PM
Inactive User

Mancini Racing, has problems too, i ordered a carb and they to wait 2 weeks to get it, then i ordered some keyflops, hats, and shirts and i they never even sent them, and i ordered a mopar book and they never said they got that part number when i placed my order over the phone!!!
I guess i just have bad-luck!
Old 02-23-2001, 08:05 PM

About every high performance dealer or mail order company has problems when it comes to getting orders straight. I only live about 50 miles away from Jegs. I'll order stuff through the mail or over the phone if it something simple, but if it is something that they have to really pay attention to, I'll just drive down to Columbus and deal with them personally that way I can make sure they are getting it right. Sometimes you have to explain in detail exactly what your application is. Remember, most of the sales reps in Jegs or Summit are mostly Chevy & Ford minded type people because that is what they most typically deal with. When it comes to Mopars, they tend draw a blank. Always make sure to do your research on the exact parts you need and be sure to have as much info on the specific parts as you can and be sure to have a part number for everything you need. I have found that having every bit of info that I can possibly have really helps the sales reps understand and know what exactly you're looking for. Remember, you know everything that your doing and how everything will go together for your project. They don't have a single clue of what you are doing, so you need to explain what exactly it is your doing. They're not dumb, they just need to understand what is your doing in order to get you the stuff you need. I have a friend who works at Jegs. He said one of the biggest problems with customers is they always seem to assume you know what they are doing and what their project is.

Sly
Old 02-23-2001, 08:08 PM
Inactive User

Default Jegs

I've ordered from Jegs on many occasions and have never had a problem.I always use the internet site and always pay with a credit card.This way there is a transaction record and using a credit card gives you back up in case of a return.
Old 02-23-2001, 09:08 PM
Inactive User

There is a local 'MoPar only' shop here in Knoxville and they really know their stuff. Yep, and if you can afford them you will get top notch parts and service. Yep, if you can afford them then its smooth sailing. Uh huh, if money is no object and you don't flinch at paying the print retail price or more for the stuff in the MP catalog then its Mo Par to you.
I would love to deal with a local outfit on all my parts needs but it is so hard for a small business to keep its doors open that the adverage car guy can't afford them. Summit racing gets most all my business but I make sure the guy on the other end is 'on the same page' with me so to speak.
Old 02-23-2001, 09:32 PM
Inactive User

I have never had a problem with Jegs, but I probbly have only spent about $1,000 with them over the last few years.
I usually order stuff from Summit, as their slogan goes "Everything You want, on backorder"
OK, so the main problem I have had with Summit is often parts are on backorder, but overall they are a good company.

Locally, here in Denver, On-Track Performance has pretty good prices on performance parts, and they give an extra 10% off on MP parts if you belong to the Mopar club. The last MP parts were less than if I ordered them from Summit.
Old 02-23-2001, 10:56 PM
Inactive User

I have troubles with ALL suppliers except one,Internet Auto Parts,He is THE MAN,he saved me $140 on my headers compared to jegs and Summit,they wanted $570,IAP got them for $430,I think thats quite a price diff,you can find them on the web......PRO....
Old 02-24-2001, 12:48 AM
Inactive User

Pro, I tried to find them on the web but was unsuccessful. Could you give the Web Address?
Thanks!
Old 02-24-2001, 01:54 AM

I like PAW. They are close, 60 miles, and they are reasonable on prices. There selection is pretty good with a catalog the size of an L.A. phone book. I ordered a crank and the guy had enough brains to ask if I had an auto or a manual. They ship rally fast, too. Ordered monday PM, and I got it Wednesday!!! They botched one order though, They sent me 8 bushed 340 rods for 25.00, the price of one! I didnt complain.....
Old 02-24-2001, 09:49 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs down PAW.....hahahahahahahahahaha

Let me tell you about my experience with PAW. I ordered a Victor Jr. manifold from them. It was about $225 plus the shipping. So one day it arrives. I get out my intake gasket and put it on the intake surface and guess what? The port divider is actually in the opening for the port on the gasket! How in the hell can this have made it from the manufacturer let alone come frome PAW? So I get to pay for shipping it back plus the shipping of the second manifold to me, what a deal!!! By the time I was finished with PAW I had about $300 in this part! Those guys can kiss my ......!!!!
Old 02-24-2001, 10:16 AM
Inactive User

I have ardered from Jegs a total of four times. Of the four, three times they goofed my order up. Not bad, 75% of the time they can't get it write. I only used them if I couldn't get it at Summit. It's ok to make a mistake, but how you handle the mistake makes a world of difference. I don't want to write a book about Jeg's, but they didn't handle their mistakes very well and it took more than one phone call. Once they sent me a Jeg's hat with one of my goofed up orders. It's yellow with Jeg's in black. I took a majic marker and just below Jeg's I wrote SU**S. I will make sure I wear it when I go to Gainsville on go by the Jeg's pit. A friend of mine Gets his stuff from Jeg's and has had no problem, but has from Summit. I'm sure that when my name comes up on Jeg's computer it says goof up his order.
Old 02-24-2001, 12:11 PM
Big Tuna

Wink

I used to go to Summit. I never buy anything from Jeg's because I just don't like the Coughlin's and how they run their racing operation. Lately, I have been buying alot more stuff from the 'Chicago Connection". Bill is a MP dealer, carries alot of stuff besides MP parts, and is 5 minutes from my house. He usually can't sell quite as cheap as Summit, but I have seen guys call him at home on Saturday, and he has delivered parts to the racetrack to get guys going again! You can't beat that for service.
Old 02-24-2001, 01:37 PM
"BB Duster Maniac"

I've bought a lot of parts from Jeg's and Summit, and never had a problem. Maybe I'm just lucky. I wouldn't be so quick to blame Jeg's for missing parts inside a sealed box. You can't expect them to open the boxes and check for missing parts. They are distributors, boxes come in, boxes go out. The problem lies with the manufacturer who filled the box with parts.
Personally, I couldn't care less how Summit or Jeg's run their operation. I care about my own car building project, and if they can sell me a part cheaper than someone else, that's money saved in my pocket.
Old 02-24-2001, 01:45 PM
Young Mopar Life

The last time we ordered from summit:

We got the brake parts monday

We got the timing tape, valve covers and ECU tues.

We got a SS spring wed.

We got the Hedmans thurs.

and we got the other SS spring Friday

Wow! Now we got one thing to work on every day!

We can put the brakes on monday, the valve covers on tuesday, one ss spring on wed! the Hedders on thurs, and the other SS spring on Friday! This way were paced! WOW! GOOD THINKIN SUMMIT!
Old 02-24-2001, 02:49 PM
Inactive User

I ordered a Energy Suspension kit for my car from Jeg's because Summit did not handle it. So most of the parts came and I waited 2 weeks and called Jeg's to see ware the rest of the parts were and they said they had the back order but forgot to order the parts. I tried them once and it was the last time. Summit Rules!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2001, 06:47 PM

Thumbs down

Has anyone seen the new Summit? The center fold car is a 64 barracuda with a blown big block chevy!!!!!!!! How could they show a car like that? I like Summit but this pissed me off. Its like they are rubbing it right in the faces of all mopar fans. Anyone else annoyed by this?

Clayton
Old 02-24-2001, 07:19 PM
Inactive User

68charger440HP, no, having a chevy engine in a Mopar does not bother me. I admitt that it would not be my choice. But individguality makes the world go around. And the person that owns that chevy mopar has you talking about it. Maybe that's what he wanted, talk.
Old 02-24-2001, 08:12 PM

Warren J, you are right, individuality makes the world go round. He did it his way and i guess that's what counts. I just did not like seeing a chevy engine in a mopar. In my opinion, chevy engines belong in chevy cars. At least they showed a mopar in summit. They usually show chevys and fords. Sorry for getting off topic a bit.

Clayton