Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Wheels & Tires Forum...

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-23-2001, 11:53 PM
Inactive User

Question

I know you're supposed to keep your car tires at the recommended pressure but I always forget when I gas up and nowadays you need to feed the machines quarters at the gas stations. Shopping at Costco I noticed a tire inflator and after seeing it a few times, I sprung for it the other day: $40, Bonaire is the brand name (model BA-120 air inflator/compressor) and made in China, 2/3 HP, 3.3 amp, runs on house current only. Says it takes around 1.5 minutes to pump up a car tire from flat to 28 PSI. On the box it claims to inflate "4 to 6 times faster than standard 12-volt inflators." It looks cool enough, but the first time I used it, it appeared to malfunction (see below).

Can I get a better one elsewhere? Kragen? Grand Auto? Ideas?

I tried this out last night on my 12 speed bike and it seemed to malfunction. It pumped, I turned it off to let the guage equalize (it says backpressure causes the guage to misread when on), and then turned it back on without taking the connector from the tire valve, which seems like it would be OK. But the thing only whirred and whirred and didn't pump. I had to turn it off, remove and reattach the connector to the valve and turn on and then it worked again. It seemed to work after that, but that was a bad sign.

After inflating my car tires, I think this thing isn't too bad. No more failures. Don't know how long it's going to last, though, and that's my main concern. Some people have told me I should check out what they have at Sears, and I guess I will.

Thanks for any ideas...

PS: At Costco they also have a digital tire guage for around $12. I just have a couple of pen-type guages. Do I need something better?? Thanks again.