Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-28-2000, 06:35 AM
Inactive User

Angry

I want to have my 67 Charger running in 6 days and I have found that my kickdown linkage vertical rod will not clear my 1970 Hipo exhaust manifold. Does any one know what I need to make this work? Has anyone tried the after market cable type? Compounding my dilema is the holiday and its effect on shipping.
Old 05-28-2000, 10:50 PM

I assume you have a small block, because the transmission kick down linkage on my 440 doesn't go anywhere near the exhaust manifolds. So I don't know what your problem/solution is.

But, since I just went through the hassle of adapting the linkage for a high rise (M1) single plane intake, I can feel your pain.
Modifying the kick down rod with a stock intake shouldn't be too bad (but you know better than me) but the Lokar cable kits seem to be able to solve all kinds of problems. The price is what stopped me, plus I tend to fiddle with stuff until it works and have a full shop and welder to get things done...

------------------
440 Jim
E-Body Fish
Old 05-29-2000, 12:38 AM
Inactive User

No its a 383, and its the vertical rod that strikes the ex. manifold near the pipe connection. The problem seems to be that my car is a 67 and the manifolds are off a 1970.
Old 05-29-2000, 01:14 AM
Inactive User

For a kickdown cable try Bouchillion performance. Can't remember the exact address but I order their cable kickdown kit for my wife's 73 duster. Haven't put it on yet. It cost about $100
Old 05-30-2000, 03:35 PM
Inactive User

http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/

Is there web site.

I went with the cable kit from Summit althought I liked the looks of Bouch better.
Old 05-30-2000, 04:55 PM
Inactive User

I am in the middle of installing the bouchillon kit on my car at this time. The parts seem to be top quality but the instructions suck. The pictures are awful. I will let you know how well it works in a couple of weeks if i ever figure out how the cable hooks to the carb. The pictures on their web site are better and have eliminated some of the confusion I was experiencing.

Scott
Old 05-31-2000, 06:03 AM

My auto shifts too early causing me to manually shift all the time. With the carb at wot I set the upper horizontal rod on the carb linkage so it just slips on without interfering with the wot. But what do I do with the one that mounts to the trans shifter lever? Sorry to cut in, but we might need the same advice. Oricharger, can't you just bend it so it is closer to the firewall or is it hitting on the side? also, is it column or console shift?

[This message has been edited by toolman (edited May 31, 2000).]
Old 06-01-2000, 05:12 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

The problem is solved on my column shift 67 Charger. A fellow Mopar enthusist emailed me and offered to let me use the kickdown linkage off a 68 Charger, I put it on and it works fine. The 68 setup differs from the 67 in this way; Lower bellcrank has shorter arms on the 68 which moves vertical rod rearward, Vertical rod on the 68 angles almost all the way from bellcrank to bellcrank, where the 67 rod went straight up a couple inches and then angled over more sharply and then another bend and straight up to upper bellcrank.
Toolman, my 727 always shifted way too early also, I chalked it up to the fact that my trans. was out of a Big Chrysler. I ordered a differant governor weight from A&A Transmission, I'll see how that works when I take it out for a shakedown cruise.
Old 06-01-2000, 05:42 AM

Smile

oricharger, glad your problem with the linkage is solved. Sorry, I assumed yours was a console shifter, bad guess. Thanks for the info. I am having my trans custom built and I can check with the guy and see if he can check the governer out. Thanks. And yes, let me know about yours since mine won't be done for two weeks.

[This message has been edited by toolman (edited June 01, 2000).]
Old 06-05-2000, 03:19 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Toolman, Sorry I don't have a tach in my car to tell you where my shift points are now. But it definatly holds in the lower gears longer, however when I put it in I also installed a B&M reprogramming kit and used the street-strip setting. and it probably also effected the shift points. So far I am pleased, if you drive it easy it shifts soon enough and not too hard, yet when you step on it, it shifts much later and very hard.