Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-06-2000, 11:01 PM

Question

I am still having a problem with the fuel gauge in my Super Bee. It is an aftermarket gauge that is for a fuel cell. The needle only goes up to the "E" line, even though I can look in the cell and see it has more in it than that.
I sent the gauge back to Autometer, and they sent me back a brand new one (for free) because they had problems with the one I had before. Same problem.

I have verified a good ground, and power to the gauge.

I tried grounding the sending unit side of the gauge, because someone on here before had said the needle should peg, and it didn't, even with a brand new gauge.

I am wondering if the sending unit is bad, but I can't see how it comes out of the cell. It has castle nuts on the top of it, but you can't remove them because the stud spins, and I can't get my hand down through the fill hole to try to hold the other side.

The cell was in the car when I bought it, so I'm not familiar with how it went together.

Any ideas on how to fix this? This car has a 750 double pumper modified by AED in Virginia, so it uses a lot of fuel, and I'd like to know how much is back there when crusing.

------------------
Tom
68 Super Bee
69 Barracuda Convertible
Old 06-07-2000, 02:20 AM

Any chance your voltage limiter is shot?

------------------
BB
"Land of the free, home of the Mopar"
98 Ram SLT Intense Blue V10 4X4
Old 06-07-2000, 03:24 AM
Inactive User

There should be full voltage on the power side of the gauge right? So take it out. go to a good battery, hook up the power side to + and the sender side to -. It should peg. Dont leave it hooked up to long... If it does then you arnt getting enuf power to it in the dash. grounding the sender side in the dash should have made it peg. You should check to make sure it needs 12volt first. The stock one used 5volts and if you hooked up a 12Volt gauge to a 5volt supply then thats your whole problem!
Old 06-07-2000, 03:44 AM

I think I found the problem. If I unhook either wire back at the sender, the gauge pegs. That leads me to believe that the sender is bad.

This setup worked for a long time until about a month ago, so something broke.

Thanks for the responses.

------------------
Tom
68 Super Bee
69 Barracuda Convertible