Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-26-2001, 07:40 PM

Wink

i have my 74 dart sport 340 prepped to come out soon and play among the other summer bound race oriented mopars, but i have ove into a bigger town now that is well known for it car theft "intensity" seeing as how easily a carbuated small block can be manipulated and stolen, is there any suggestions from you guys.

i came up with a couple myself, just wondering if you could add to them or make them better or just come up with your own all together. i dont want to be up all night looking out in my apartment building parking lot making sure my baby is still there, i hooked a toggle switch in series with my fuel pump wiring on my 1991 GP to prevent car theft so that the pump will not be energized until the hidden switch is flicked into the on position that works well on my GP but not on the doge because of the mech fuel pump.

AT ANY RATE : here are my ideas.
i) somewhere between the ballast resistor and the coil, mount a hidden toggle switch which will prevent the coil from being energized even when the key is in the on position.

ii) (this one is ok, i guess) mount a manual fuel shutoff valve in the fuel lines somewhere.

ANYWAYS tell me what you think of my ideas, add to them or give me ideas as to where i could mount that switch in the ignition system circuit THANKS GUYS YOUR GREAT!
Old 02-26-2001, 08:23 PM
Inactive User

Yeah, put some sort of switch on the start side of the ballast resistor, and hide a toggle switch under the dash. I would put some sort of really heavy duty switch for the charging curcut (some sort of cutoff on the ammemeter wires) too. if I remember correctly, the lights on the car won't even funtion if that wire is open (not working)
Old 02-27-2001, 12:53 AM
Inactive User

Take the rotor button out. That is what I do when I have my duallie and trailer together out of town. Most car thieves don't have a rotor in their pocket. Most know to look for cut outs or fuel shut offs.

Monte Smith
Old 02-27-2001, 01:31 AM

Here is a sneaky one. Use the high beam switch on the floorboard as your ignition toggle. That way, you are showing no one your starting secrets in a parking lot at the local rod rob. I live in So. Cal and have seen this trick used as an electric fuel pump switch while working at a stereo shop. You get car jacked, you hit the switch on the way out, and watch your car go 100 yards and die (while you are running like hell the other way!)
Old 02-27-2001, 04:32 AM
Inactive User

I use a hidden switch between the MSD-6 white wire and ground. Problem with that is that I tend to forget to 'unset' it when I want to use my truck.

Another thing I did: I installed a switch between battery negative and ground. These (rather heavy duty) switches usually come with a key, which you can take out. Not likely for a thief to be carrying one of those.
Old 02-27-2001, 10:36 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Jacobs electronics has a switch that looks like the hi-beam selector for the floor. They have a line of anti-theft stuff thats worth checkin out. A switch of the resistor or starter relay is a good idea to.
Old 02-27-2001, 12:23 PM
Inactive User

My Charger has a trunk mount battery with a flaming river remote battery disconnect switch (the one activated with a push/pull rod.) The battery disconnect also activates an ignition kill micro-switch.
The ignition kill switch on a regular MP electronic ignition woulf just be a wire from the coil "-" through the switch to ground. This is like having the ignition points close-up and never open. In the MSD, it is wired to the trigger wire tha same as above.
The car also has a seperate fuel pump switch.

All the above were done for saftey or for NHRA requirements.
On my setup, the push/pull rod is easely removed from the switch so I can disable the battery and ignition pretty easy, and to enable it the theif would have to break into the trunk, and the ignition inside the car, and find the the fuel pump switch.
Also, they would have to get the "CLUB" off the steering wheel
I also Have a car cover that has a cable lock, locked around the torsen bars.
This won't stop someone from stealing the car if they really wanted to, but it would make it difficult.
Old 02-27-2001, 04:23 PM
Inactive User

If you run an automatic you could use the neutral saftey switch.
Old 02-27-2001, 05:51 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

Dwayne thats an easy one to bypass though and most thieves will jump it across the solenoid the way we always do it.

Christian
Old 02-27-2001, 07:43 PM
Inactive User

Yeah , good point ChristianCuda
Old 02-27-2001, 11:25 PM
Inactive User

Jacobs Electronics has a lovely little unit called "stop action" I have used this and sold several to customers and they work like 90! Even if you smash the control unit with a hammer the car still won't start. I strongly recommend these....djs
Old 02-28-2001, 03:00 AM
Inactive User

I use the BAR,you know a steering wheel locking bar and I take the coil wire and plug it in where a spark plug wire goes and vice versa,itll never run and if you dont know firing order and rotation direction.....good luck,remember a thief will run his own jumper wires,He will start your car if hes a mechanic,you must prevent him from driving it,thats why I lock the wheel,especially if you have an airbag He wont tamper with the BAR,now what do you do about the guy who is going to drag your car up on a trailer and tow it off?you need a motion sensitive alarm,the ones that call or page you silently are the best,that way you can catch the creep in the act!.............PRO..........
Old 02-28-2001, 07:47 PM
Inactive User

Default THE BEST YET

The best thieft deterant device I ever saw was the guy with a '73 360 Dart that kept a pit bull in the car.
Very low tech but very effective.
Old 03-01-2001, 12:00 AM
Inactive User

most of the better alarm systems have a remote relay that you can hide that will kill the starter and ignition when the alarm is active. Unless they want to rewire your car to start it, It will go no ware. I am looking at the Jacobs STOP system to add to my car along with the alarm system.