Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Drag Racing Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-28-2001, 12:19 AM

Question

Guy's 'n' Gals,

Answer me this, I've seen fresh air hoods on both 74 360 Dart Sports and Plymouth Dusters that were supposedly factory options. I can not however find any documentation on factory option codes or even supporting documentation that these were either offered as factory or dealer options. Anyone got any info, I'm building said combo and would love to be prepared for the inevitable question. Can any of you help?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-28-2001, 10:22 AM

Exclamation A-body fresh air

I have run a Duster in IHRA Stock in '99 and '00 and have switched body-styles to a Dart Sport for this season. I also looked EVERYWHERE for info or documentation on the dual-snorkle single-scoop option on '73-'76 Dusters and Sports.

Despite being a popular add-on, I found no evidence that any Dusters were available with it from the factory! Dart Sports had it as an option in '74 as there is at least one that I know of in NHRA. (I forgot his name right now. -Turner?)

I am not sure about the other years, but in IHRA crate motor Stock, if a hood will directly interchange from a year that it was factory available to another year that it wasn't, it is legal.

I don't believe "dealer options" are legal in either sanctioning body.
Old 02-28-2001, 10:31 AM

http://www.autoimagery.com/cgallery.htm
There are some Stock and SS photos of Dusters run by the Ely team that do not show scoops.
Although I haven't talked to them about it, it would seem that if it was available, it would be used.

I will keep looking for a photo of the NHRA Stock "74 Dart Sport WITH the scoop on it!
Old 02-28-2001, 10:52 AM

Default BOB TURNER F/SA National record holder

Locomotion,

I'm familiar with Turner's black 74 dart sport, and in part my observations of his cars performance over recent years has led me to pursue this combo instead of the more popular 340 options. I've in particular watched head to head qualifying and competion with Mark Dikerson's 340 these last two seasons and been surprised in how well the 360 held it's own despite what seems to be a decided advantage when combo's are analysed purely on paper.

What I'm hoping to find is that this option was available on the Duster as well! By the way based on your pseudonym and location If your whom I think you are you are to be congratulated on last seasons IHRA accomplishments, Great job!!!
Old 02-28-2001, 06:47 PM

Yes, that is me. Thank you.

I think I covered all of the bases in my search for the same info. I finally decided that the only way to get it is to convert my Duster to a Dart Sport by changing the entire front clip (including fenders and bumpers) and installing Dart Sport tail lights with sheetmetal welded in between the pairs of bezels. Luckily I have a friend with a body shop and it turned out well.

When I decided to get into Stock, I felt my best chance would be to get into a class that didn't have a lot of cars in it to minimize heads up runs against competition with more resources and experience (the fairly new IHRA crate motor Stock classes) and use an engine that was not common (the 360/300hp Commando as opposed to the Magnum) so I wouldn't be at the mercy of someone elses potential horsepower factors.

I know finances are always a limitation, but if you want fresh air as much as I did, you may have to consider converting also. There was a nearly completed Dart Sport Stocker for sale in CA that was advertised on the Stock/SS Forum last year. I can dig through my papers to see if I can find the print-out, if there is any interest.
This forum is a good source for class info if you are not familiar with it!
http://pub6.ezboard.com/bstocksuperstockforum70108

Good luck with your combo.
Myron
Old 03-01-2001, 07:54 PM
Inactive User

THE DUSTER /DEMON A SOURCE BOOK LIST A OPTION
HOOD SCOOPS AVAILBLE WITH PACKAGE ONLY ON DUSTER & 340 DUSTERS ON PAGE 53 THESE ARE REPRINTS OF SALE LITERATURE NOW THIS WAS FOR A 73 BUT YOU TELL ME THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A 74 AND A 73 HOPE THIS HELPS
Old 03-01-2001, 10:07 PM

Exclamation

Someone sent me a page about scoops from that book a while back. But I believe it was about an option package that used small, non-functional scoops similar to what was on some late '60's Barracudas. This pair of scoops seemed even smaller than the dual seperate scoops found on early '70's Swingers and Demons.

I never found literature specifying the dual-snorkle single scoop as a factory option on any Dusters.
Old 03-02-2001, 10:19 AM

If my memory serves me correctly, I think the Duster Twister could be ordered with the dual snorkle hood scoops in 1972. But.... If Plymouth had that factory option; I don't know if the Twister was available any other year. Might be worth looking at options available on a Twister.
Old 03-02-2001, 08:19 PM
Inactive User

Default Scoops

The 72 Duster Twister was avalible with a dual hood scoop setup that was similar to what the Dodge Super Bee used in 1970.These scoops were not functional,just for looks.The Dodge setup in 72-74 had a foreward facing twin inlet scoop that was functional,in fact I've seen 318 cars equipped with it. The 69 "Cuda" also had twin scoops,but these sat back farther on the hood,almost to the edge and were very small.If these are or are not functional,I don't know,I've only seen pictures of them.As I'm sure everyone knows,the 69 Cuda hood interchanges with the 73-76 Darts.
Old 03-03-2001, 11:17 PM

Default This is the scoop I'm refering to

This is the snorkle I'm refering to:

And this is the aircleaner, anyone have pictures from the underside of such a hood.

Pete
Old 03-03-2001, 11:40 PM

Post scoop

Yes, that is the scoop I have on my Dart Sport now (ex Duster) and refer to as a dual-snorkle single scoop.

From the factory they came with a pair of 3"-5" holes in the hood. They were located at the left and right edges of the diamond-shaped area within the underside hood bracing. But I don't know the EXACT locations and dimensions.

I didn't see anything in that article, or anywhere else, that said the scoop was available in that year ('75). I have only seen it on a '72 Demon Super Stocker car besides Turner's '74 Dart.
Old 03-04-2001, 01:05 AM
Inactive User

Wink Dart scoop

My brother was a big fan of A-bodys throughout the 80's, and had all the interchange book info. He and his friends, when reffering to the dual-snorkel, single scoop; always called it the "74 Dart Sport scoop"! As good as it looks on Dusters, I'm pretty sure it was never offered on the Plymouth line, or on other years.
Old 03-04-2001, 05:08 PM
Big Tuna

Cool

That scoop was first available on '72 Demons. I had one and it only had the two small holes through the hood that were mentioned previously. The motor had a standard air filter housing on it, the scoop was not functional. I have seen the scoop on '73 &'74 Dart Sports too, but not on Dusters. However, you know how things were with Ma Mopar, you can never say never!
Old 03-04-2001, 10:32 PM
Inactive User

The dual snorkle hood scoop shown in your picture was available on 1972 demons & 1973 - 74 dart sports the chrysler sales code was J54 for the "sport hood" Any 340/360 4 bbl car I have seen equipped with the scoop came with the holes others have described. (including my own) But that air cleaner is a new one to me. Where can I get one? To the best of my knowledge, it never came on the '75 and up models, but I do not have any real documentation past 1974 - so I am not sure. Hope this helps.
Old 03-04-2001, 11:14 PM

Although it is put together well and "looks factory", I didn't think the air cleaner set-up was original either.
It may include pieces from an earlier Mopar 4 bbl Shaker or Air Grabber assembly.
Old 03-06-2001, 09:53 PM
Inactive User

I took your picture to a guy we consider to be the local A body guru and he says that air cleaner is definately not a factory piece. That it is either homebuilt or maybe a dealer added setup. I know that this is far from definitive, but he has never steered me wrong before...
Old 03-13-2001, 10:45 PM
Inactive User

It looks like there is a small blue oval on that air cleaner's base...phord part? Oh well, If I wanted fresh air intake on an a-body, I'd use a fiberglass Six Pack hoodscoop.
Old 03-19-2001, 08:20 PM
Inactive User

I made a air cleaner setup close to what is in the Hang 10 picture by cutting a spare lid up to the drop where the filter starts. Seal it to the hood with foam or tall weatherstripping. I used foam from a hood seal plate kit from Jeggs. I did this years ago and it added some ram effect but was limited by the 2 small holes in the hood. In my 74 Dodge parts book it does not show it as an option. My hood came from a 73. If anyone needs detailed pictures of this setup I can send pics with dimensions. The hood and scoop is not on the car.