Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-12-2000, 12:49 AM
Inactive User

Smile

HI THERE. I HAVE A AUSTRALIAN A-BODY THAT WAS NEVER DESIGNED FOR A BIG BLOCK. I CURRENTLY HAVE A 318 WITH 587 HEADS. I BELIEVE THERE IS A NUMBER OF STROKER CRANKS THAT CAN BE HAD FOR 318'S AND 360'S. I BELIEVE THE 318 HAS ONE OF THE BEST "N" VALUES AROUND AND BY STROKING IT, OR ALMOST ANY OTHER MOTOR THERE IS, MAKES THIS WORST. MY QUESTION IS DOES THE EXTRA DISPLACE MAKE UP FOR THE WORSENING OF THE STROKE TO ROD RATIO. I BELIEVE THIS WILL CHANGE THE CHARACTER OF THE VEHICLE. BASICALLY HOW MUCH DOES IT MATTER. I DO LIKE THE IDEA OF PUTTING A 4.00 IN STROKER CRANK INTO A 360 AT A LATER STAGE. I WOULD HATE TO THINK IT WOULD BE "FUNNY" SOME HOW. THE "N" VALUE WOULD BE LOWER THAN FORD AND CHEV. IS THIS GOOD! IS THERE SOMEWHERE ON THE NET WHERE U CAN GET THIS SORT OF EXTRAORDINARY INFO FROM?
Old 06-12-2000, 02:13 AM
Inactive User

There was a lengthy article written by Reher of Reher Morrison in the National Dragster a while back. He indicated that WAY too much emphasis is being placed on rod to stroke ratio. Yes, you can go to extremes and cause problems, but, he said in his article that if it connects the piston to the crank and the piston clears the crank, run it.

Longer rods take a little side load off the piston and it does move the power band around a little, but, I dont think that is any amount that is worth spending thousands of dollars on to correct. With a 4" stroke crank, the rod to stroke ratio of a small mopar is relatively close to a 400 chevy stock, and people have run those to death.
Old 06-12-2000, 03:07 AM
Inactive User

That was an interesting article, for sure. Its good to hear other peoples opinions about rod angles, piston speed, dwell time, etc. For every yay, there seem to be a nay somewhere. I've read tech articles that have gone really in depth on this subject. I always come back to factory rod angles, in the long run, on stroker combos. I'm sure they are just as usable with "Chevy" specs. My engine builder (race engines only, Busch series) raised their eyebrows as I informed them I wanted 6.50" rods in my engine. They said the same thing about small Chevies running a short rod. Its great that everyone gets to voice their opinion.