Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Circle Track Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-01-2001, 06:40 PM

Cool

I am looking for any info on hooking a small block mopar to a muncie tranny. I read the info that 340king had, but my other question is this: Is there a clutch made for this application? I am putting together a mod and have a 3 speed on hand. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-02-2001, 09:38 PM
Inactive User

Cool Mopar/Chevy Clutch Combo

All you need is a fine spline (fits Muncie tranny) Chevy clutch. Use this with the Mopar pressure plate. Just check to see that it is the right diameter, such as, a 10 1/2 clutch with a 10 1/2 pressure plate.
Old 03-06-2001, 07:17 PM

I'm not certain that it is that easy, as I haven't tried it myself and don't know anybody that has. The info I posted dealt with the use of all Chevy pieces adapted to the back of a Mopar block. The crank used is the new one offered by MP. It has both the sb Chevy bolt pattern and the Mopar pattern on it. To my knowledge, they used all of their left over Chevy parts.

One of the areas of concern is the depth of the bellhousing(length of the input shaft) and the diameter of the pilot shaft. These things would have to be taken into consideration when making this swap.

In addition, the Mopar 3 speed out of a '74 Dart is lighter than the GM 3 speed. I don't know about the Muncie. It is probably lighter. I have an aluminum Mopar 4 spd(non-overdrive) that is lighter than my 3 speed. I haven't weighed it yet so I can't tell you what it actually weighs. From my knowledge of Mopars, this is from a Feather Duster.
Old 03-07-2001, 02:01 AM
Inactive User

Default Clutch Setup

I have no way of knowing if Modracr41 has a crank with the chevy bolt pattern. Odds are he doesn't. Anyway you brought up a good point about the length of the transmission input shaft. It wouldn't be hard to compare it to a Mopar stick shift tranny. Speaking of the input shaft. There needs to be an input shaft support bearing installed in the crankshaft. You would have to measure the hole in the center of the crankshaft (flywheel end) and measure the diameter of the end of the Muncie input shaft and see if you could find an insert that would fit. Most inserts are made of a material that could be machined to fit, if necessary.
Old 03-08-2001, 01:16 AM
Inactive User

Mod 41 check with Mopar Mike in Houston I think he runs this exact clutch setup with his 318
hope that helps.