Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Off-Topic Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-03-2001, 10:59 PM

My truck is in the body shop. The body shop is repairing problems that they caused, the last time the truck was in there.

As they caused the problems, they have given me a loaner car. It is a gutless Pontiac Sunfire.

When you start the engine, the dash turns on all of the idiot lights, as most new cars do. One of the idiot lights is "CHECK GAGES". I've always thought that it was spelled 'GAUGES'. Am I wrong or are the folks at Pontiac just a bunch of morons?
Old 03-04-2001, 01:51 AM

Wink

Well, this is GM we're speaking of after all, they're the ones who put the steering box in front of the axle centerline on Corvairs, and the gas tanks outside the frame rails on their trucks long after everyone else stopped, can't say I'm too surprised. It's the mistakes they make you can't see that you should be worried about though....
Old 03-04-2001, 02:22 AM
Addicted Moparchat Member

lol... yeah, my girlfriend's mazda b300 (basically a rebadged ford ranger) does the same thing. must be a ford thing too...
Old 03-04-2001, 02:27 AM

It's the simple mistakes that make me worry. What I mean by that is, if they can't even spell 'gauge' right, you have to wonder about what else is wrong.
Old 03-05-2001, 07:00 PM
Banned

Not defending any of the other manufacturers in any way but, in the mechanical engineering field gage is the abbreviation of gauge. Don't ask me why, I questioned it as well when I first got into the field myself. Doesn't make any sense to me to make an abbreviation of a work that is only one less letter.

Chris
Old 03-05-2001, 11:09 PM

As most owners, of the vehicles, are not mechanical engineers, why use that abbreviation.

In the big picture, it really doesn't matter. Most people will just keep on driving, after one of those lights turn on. They figure that if it is important, it will get brighter or the chime will start going off as well.
Old 03-08-2001, 12:01 PM
Inactive User

Arrow

Pontiac spelled Aztek wrong as well, but I think that might have been out of historical deference. They didn't want to disrespect the Aztecs with that heinous beast....good call, actually.

Heh, remember those early 80s K-car variants that used to talk to you? "Your door is ajar."
Old 03-09-2001, 09:32 PM

"Gages" is correct for a technical person like an engineer who designes "gages". But most common people with little technical background have learned to spell "gauges". In common terms "gages" means to throw something in a challenge to a fight. Kinda like when someone throws down their hat or gloves in anger as they go in to fight. Not a very commonly used term, but that is the definition. So, for common folk who buy pontiacs, it should be spelled Gauges but gages eliminates a letter and therefore costs less to make.

Engineers for ya.
Old 03-10-2001, 02:06 AM

Here's another GM engineering foulup that I noticed years ago. I bought some tow hooks for the front of a Chevy 4x4 that I used to own; the hook stamped "L" went on the passenger side and the one marked "R" only fit on the the drivers side. I guess it depends on where you're standing!
Old 03-11-2001, 03:17 AM
Inactive User

Smile

ack!

howdy pl8ster! fancy meeting you here. How many other GTF'ers are clamouring around here? ah well, whatever. What a waste of a first post. I wonder if Senior Member badges are transferable.

Intrepid
Old 03-24-2001, 02:07 AM
Inactive User

Only time that I see gage being used is when I see it on equipment from the orient and I generally take as been poor translation and spelling. It has always been spelt gauge in the technical field no abbreviation
Old 03-24-2001, 03:40 PM

Hellooooooo - Has anybody ever thought of the old reference we used to be familiar with? Reach back to elementry school days. It's called the dictionary. It is not ignorance or misspelling here. It is our wonderful english language that makes no sense. Both spellings are correct. Most technical and engineering publications wil spell it gages. Most common lay people have learned it guages. Regardless, both are CORRECT. So lets all start checking into these things a bit before we start saying that it is a result of poor translation, ignorance, spelling error, etc. Those who ridicule something that is correct and mainstream and well known to the more educated community look pretty ignorant and uneducated themselves. It is our school systems that are to blame and our federal government. They are the ones who waste billions of dollars on BS projects that bring nothing but problems because they are controlled by the big corporations of the world. If just a fraction of the money being wasted in the military and other prok barrel projects was diverted into education, every man woman and child in this country could get a four year degree at a decent univertsity for FREE!!!! So it is time to blame the federal government and the F%cked up two party system that is out to serve the lobbies and not the people. Why do you all think the last election was so close. They are both the same. We have no real choice. it is the big money corps that don't care about the people that choose our leaders for us. Think about it. We have no democracy any more, just a big govt. ran by big corps. Just watch the laws and changes that are coming in the next couple of years. Unfortunately nobody does anything before it's too late. Ok-enough of this BS. You people bashing the mfgrs. about this spelling thing need to read more and watch less TV! I don't mean to offend anyone, I just can't stand ignorance.
Old 03-24-2001, 05:35 PM
Inactive User

Checked out the dictionary, gage, other than being a pledge or stake, its a challenge. Then its a US variation on gauge.
Old 03-25-2001, 12:12 AM

OK so we have learned the 'gage' is the spelling that an engineer would use and 'gauge' is the layman spelling.

So I ask this, when you are building a car, who is your target consumer?? Engineers or the layman?? Hmmm.. I would say taht there are more laymen in this country than engineers.

With that being the case, don't you think that it should be spelled the way most of us laymen would know it?

Oh, by the way not all engineers know it as gage. I am a telecommunications engineer and I know it as gauge. I have asked other engineers that I know, only one of them spelled it 'gage'.
Old 03-25-2001, 12:25 AM
Inactive User

Lightbulb

Ok Gang,,Now that the great gauge debate is on lets get back on track here,,MMMM,,Lets see.....Question was" Is Ponyjerk illiterate??",,Now for a DIED IN WOOL,BLEEDS MOPAR COLORS,LAYING THE SMACK ON THE OPPISITION PENTASTAR FREAK,,I'd have to say CERTAINLY they are,as are any other brand-x crap out there,, Drive a brand-x loaner,I DON"T THINK SO!!!!!!