Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Circle Track Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

View Poll Results: Which tranny have you had better performance with?
727 Torqueflite 3 60.00%
904 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2001, 07:05 PM
Inactive User

Question

What would be better for the deal I'm runnin? 3/8 mile dirt, Wissota Pure Stock rules. I'm plannin to run a 79 Chrysler Newport. The only thing that bothers me is the front suspension, the dreaded torsion bars. Is there any tricks or tricks I could possibly benefit from here? And how about the engines? The 318 is a tough motor and has good low-end torque, but you can't squeeze the R's out of it as much as a short-stroke motor. The 360's are another good one but I'm wondering about the wieght and start off torque. The trannys I'm wondering about too. 727 or 904? I've had good luck with the 727 just for hard everyday driving, but that's diffent than the track. I would just like to hear some experience that maybe some one has had with these parts. Around here, only one or two guys run Mopars and the rest are.....ugh- Chevys and Fords. Anyone with good advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-04-2001, 09:20 PM

Ok I'll give this one a try. On the engine choice I'd go with the 360 it makes great low end torque and good hp only thing is it likes more gear than most so you don't have to turn it quite so hard to get the power. If the competition is running a 6.00 overall you'll need to run like a 5.80. That C body is heavy and you'll need the extra cubic inches to make it competitive.
Now as to the T bars think of them as built in jacking screws which at most tracks aren't legal for the other brands so there is your first advantage. The second being that they are lighter than a arm coil combination with less unsprung weight. You haven't mentioned how much banking or type of surface but the very first thing to do is install poly graphite bushings in the front end. Stock bushings only last about 2-3 races then you are first tight then loose sometimes all in the same turn.
A good source of info is the Mopar Circle Track Mod Book from Mopar. Just don't pay any attention to the T bar sizing it all wrong! Do use the front sway bar like they recomend and work at getting the nose weight off the car.
Hope this helps
Old 03-11-2001, 11:37 AM
Inactive User

We have been running our current car for three years now. It is a 73 Dart Swinger with a very strong 360 and a 727 transmission. We have not had any mechanical problems from motor or transmission. We run 2nd gear with a 3:91 gear on a banked 3/8 mile asphalt track and are faster than others, just still chasing that perfect set-up. Good luck and keep the MOPARS out front.