Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-03-2000, 08:06 PM
Inactive User

my oil pressure is very low after installing a crane cam with roller lifters in my 73 340. Should a restrictor be installed somwhere or is there another suggestion anyone can offer. The lifters are hydraulic .Thanks
Old 06-03-2000, 10:04 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

Could be BAD? My buddy installed a new carb and roller valve-train!---After that very little oil-what happended he wiped out a Cam Bearing!!!!!! I hope thats not your problem! Thats my only suggestion!

Did you install a roller cam too?
Old 06-04-2000, 01:49 AM
Inactive User

that happened to me once on a 68 340. what happened was the thrust plate that holds the front of the cam into the block broke and let the oil run right out of the lifter valleys back into the pan, so there was no pressure buildup. take the front of the engine back apart and check that the thrust plate is intact and all the bolts properly tightened. it worked for me.

doug
Old 06-15-2000, 06:45 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

IF YOUR ENGINE IS A NON-TOUCHED ENGINE THE FACTORY MAY HAVE INSTALLED OVERSIZE LIFTERS IN YOUR ENGINE. I HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM WITH MY ENGINE AS THE ENGINE WARMED UP I LOST PRESSURE. MANICOTTI OUT OF STERLING HEIGHTS MICH. HAS OVER SIZE LIFTERS FOR ABOUT $40 EACH THAT DO HELP BUT YOU ARE THEN DOING BRAIN SURGURY WITH A BUTTER KNIFE. PULL OUT YOUR DISTRIBUTOR, OIL PUMP DRIVE, VALVE COVERS, AND USE A PRIMING SHAFT TO PRIME THE ENGINE IF ANY OIL SEEPS BETWEEN THE LIFTERS AND LIFTER BORE THAN YOUR LIFTER BORES ARE TOO LARGE. THIS CAN ALSO BE DONE BY REMOVING THE LIFTERS AND MEASURING THE LIFTER BORE I THINK THE MAX LIFTER BORE SIZE IS .907-1.000" YOU'LL HAVE TO CHECK TO BE SURE. GOO LUCK
Old 06-17-2000, 12:58 AM
Inactive User

I think with the small blocks you have to put in oil restrictors when you go to roller.
I know I read it somewhere. In the Mopar catalogue it says to use an oil restrictor package when you use the roller cam in the performance packages. I think those lifters are bad for oil pressure.
Old 06-19-2000, 03:57 AM

Hi on small blocks with roller cams most of the time (depends on lift ) the lifter body exposes the oil galley and you lose oil pressure big time only fix is to ream and drill oil galley the push a tube into oil galley then peen the tube to fit the lifter bore this is the correct way to run roller lifters in SB Mopar with some low lift roller and ENGLE lifters this is not needed bit must check the lifter body to oil galley to assure that the lifter does not expose the oil galley
hope this helps. BTW this is done when building the engine.