Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-05-2001, 03:17 PM
Dis-Member

Question

I recently bought a '69 Charger. I haven't gotten it home, but I've got a few modifications planned for it already. Ultimately, it's a show car that will see occasional track time

The car is equipped with a 451 stroker motor with stock heads, cam (I think) and manifolds. It is an auto with 3.23 gears.

Currently, it has a 440 spec AVS on it. What is the CFM rating on these? I think someone told me 700 cfm.

The carb looks a little tired, and I have a Weiand Stealth (8008) manifold at my disposal, so I am planning to swap carb and intake. I'll block the crossover while I'm at it. A little further down the road, I'll probably install 1 3/4" or 1 7/8" headers as well.

I want to maintain a quasi-stock appearance, so I'll go with an Edelbrock carb. Any recommendations?

Edelbrock just came out with an 800 cfm unit, but they are pricey. The 750 cfm versions are plentiful and therefore, relatively inexpensive, but I'm afraid I'll run out of steam on the top end.

On the other hand, with stock heads and a DP manifold, would I really need the extra carb capacity?
Old 03-05-2001, 09:59 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

JHB70:

The key to identifying the carb id the numbers on the front mounting pad on the passenger side, near the mounting stud/bolt for the carb.
Give us these #'s for a positive ID
Some carter 4bbl vcarbs that came on 440's were small 600cfm units. I have one of these. Otherwise, I was told/read that there a 750cfm.
Don't block the crossover. That will hurt warm up time for the street. Driveablity will suffer.
Theres nothing wrong with the AVS. The secondarys are tuneable, not the AFB's. otherwise, there the same.
On a 451 a 750 with 3.23 gears are fine. A 800 is doable. To me, it seems large. Not that it wouldn't benifit from it but, it really isn't nessecry when you already have a carb. Also, with the intake stock or changed. With stock heads, 750 is good. You'll NOT run out of steam. And a good rebuild would do it justice.
Headers--1 3/4 inch is good for street/strip. There fine.
Old 03-05-2001, 10:42 PM
Dis-Member

Thanks for the feedback.

I've run with a blocked crossover before with no problems, and yes, it gets cold here.

Last time it was on a 383 with an M1 DP and Holley 3310 with electric choke.

I'll use an electric choke again this time. Between that and the extra heat transfer of an aluminum intake, I shouldn't have any problem. When/if I install headers, I'll lose the bypass valve, so the point will be moot anyway.

I'll take a closer look at the AVS, but regardless, I'll probably put it on the shelf. It looked to be leaking slightly around the shafts and it's missing some of the choke linkage.
Old 03-05-2001, 11:07 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Question

Do you want to sell the carter carb? What bore size is it. That anotherway to tell size. I forgot to type it.
Old 03-05-2001, 11:57 PM
Dis-Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rumblefish360
Do you want to sell the carter carb? What bore size is it. That anotherway to tell size. I forgot to type it.
I don't think I want to sell it. Not yet at least.

Like I said originally, the car is still in winter storage with the previous/current owner. It's will be at least a few weeks before I get it out and get a better look. I probably won't get around to swapping it out until late this spring anyway.