Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-08-2000, 07:43 AM

Arrow

Anyone raced a 4 speed much? I am going to run McCleod's Borg and Beck/Long 10.95 scalloped pressure plate with a 10.95 disc for street 200 series. This is a street car with a 410ci small block stroker. I am going to put one of my aluminum four speeds, with aluminum bellhousing and I am wondering on what a torque strap is? if I need to re-do shift rods to tighter shifts and less play, and what about shifters? I have the stock Hurst right now. This is in an A body 64 Barracuda, and I had a friend who busted his fire wall with a strong clutch. I don't want to do that. Should I reinforce it? How? Thanks. Not much experience with racing manuals...Joecuda
Old 06-08-2000, 07:46 PM

You will definately want a scatter shield. If the disc should come apart at a high RPM, it will cut through the aluminum bellhousing, firewall and your foot like a hot knife through butter.

------------------
Ed - MoPower

'96 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT CC 360 4X4
'68 Charger 383-4
Old 06-08-2000, 09:53 PM
Inactive User

We used to race with a 4-speed for years.Had a lot of fun with it too.The torque strap is a fabricated strap that runs from usually the driver side cylinder head to the frame rail.It's to stop the engine movement that also helps to keep the clutch and shift linkage in line.If you use real sticky tires,or slicks at the drag strip,you'll need a scattershield...it is in the rulebook.We used at first the old reliable Hurst competition plus shifter,then went to the Hurst Super Shifter.The Super Shifter sits higher in the tunnel,allowing for the shift arms to be more in a straight line and they are reinforced too.We never had to reinforce the firewall.
Old 06-09-2000, 01:25 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Joe-
4spd is alot of fun! At the track can be a little tricky to be consistant, but hey thats challenge of it.
I ran a A-833 for a few years in my Duster when it was SBlock with the factory hurst shifter, stock linkage, and centerforce. It was a bit sloppy(linkage) but the gears always engaged firmly. Never had to reinforce the firewall, but i can see your concern. It shouldnt be a problem with the size p.plate your using, unless the area has been weakened by some means such as rust, or any structural mods you may have done near that area. A torque strap would definately help out.Schumacher has a kit that basically bolts in. It uses rod ends for adjusting and even has a dampener on the frame mounting side to cut down on vibes. You definately need a Scattershield/Steel bellhousing when revin above 5500. Lakewood is a good choice, however kind of pricy(cheaper than loosin a foot!)
Im puttin a Richmond Gear 5spd behind my Mopar 500ci. Throwin out the clutch linkage and working with Quatermaster to setup a hydraulic solution there.
I dont have the # for Schumacher handy, lemme know if you need.

Happy 4speeding

BBD
Old 06-09-2000, 01:33 AM

Saw a round track car with rod ends on shift linkage. Seems like that would be a good ultra-adjustable and no-slop deal.
Old 06-09-2000, 02:32 AM

Arrow

Well, I definitly hear you guys about the scattershield. The only think is that this is a street car, and I don't know really want to spend 200 bucks even for a used one. I know, I know, cheaper than a foot, but I am running a steel aftermarket flywheel and because I am using a stroker motor, I want to limit my revs to max 6,000, because I don't want the piston and rod speed up too much so that I start walking the mains or letting the caps float. Definitly going to try a torque strap if anyone can help me with advice or descriptions, pics. I am also going to keep the stock shifter for the moment, until i get money, but I am going to try the rods. I am also going to rebuild my clutch linkage. Thanks. I guess the firewall idea is out...=)
Old 06-09-2000, 05:22 AM

About the torque strap. You want cheap? How about a section of chain, about as long as it takes to bolt from a forward facing stud out of the driver side head to the frame rail. Make it a snug fit, but not guitar string tight. The motor mount will take regular vibes, but the chain will take the 4 speed hits. Looks cheesy, but it works. Thats racing on a budget!
Old 06-09-2000, 02:07 PM

I put the chain at the motormount. One end of the chain is at the Bolt on the K-member and the other is where the motor mount bracket attaches to the engine. Can't even see the chain, unless you are looking for it.

It allows the motor mount to absorb engine vibration, but the chain keeps the engine from twisting. I did this, because I kept breaking motor mounts. Haven't broken one since I did.

------------------
Ed - MoPower

'96 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT CC 360 4X4
'68 Charger 383-4
Old 06-11-2000, 04:24 PM
Inactive User

I used a turn-buckle and chain to be able to adjust for the right tension. They are mounted on the drivers side head and down to the frame. I raced 4 speeds in 'pro' bracket. You need good lights and consistant shifts to win. Good luck, its a blast! AJ

------------------
'98 Ram 4X4 V-10, '86 Daytona 498" Blown/Injected, '71 Cuda 340 W-2 heads & 4 speed
Old 06-11-2000, 04:55 PM
Inactive User

Joecuda, Schumacher makes a magnum mount that uses a bolt-through design that locks up under acceleration like a solid mount. It works like a standard rubber mount until you hit it.
Old 06-12-2000, 04:36 AM
Inactive User

Joe,
You cannot use a scatter shield in the street car unless you do a hack job on the tunnel. What you want is the trans blanket. You can order these from any performance parts house and they cost about $90.00 and can be out on in about 20 minutes or so.

You can use the torque strap or soild motor mounts. If you have the stock-type rubber filled mounts, get or make the strap. If you have solid mounts, don't worry about it.
Old 06-12-2000, 07:08 AM

Exclamation

mopART, are you sure about that scatter shield. I have known a couple of people who have put them in with only a hammer to the tunnel where the floor connects to the firewall and they just pushed it up some. If this is what you mean, yes, ALL the Abodies need it, but if you otherwise, let me know. I have talked to a few who have done it carefully. Also, for the trans blanket, is that just the curved piece of steel which bolts over the top of an auto tranny, or is this an actually chain mail type blanket? Thanks. Joecuda
Old 06-12-2000, 07:11 AM

Well, good news, I just got a Lakewood (I believe) scatter shield at a swap meet in great condition for $30!!!!!!! Woohooo! I hope I can fit it in! Man, with the steel flywheel, scatter shield, and McCleod 10.95 scalloped disc behind my 410 stroker ABody, this is going to fly!!!!!!!!Bye,Bye,Bowties!
Joecuda
Old 06-12-2000, 08:10 AM
Inactive User

Hey JoeCuda-
Did you go down to the Mopar Rally today(MoparRalley.org car show/swapmeet) in Fremont?? They had alot of good 4 spd stuff there early. Saw alot of bigblock a-body's too.
Good score on the b.housing!!
Later

BBD
Old 06-12-2000, 04:23 PM

Lakewood in an A-body? No problem, fits like a glove. Took one out of a narrow '65 A , still got it in my backyard. 30 bucks? SCORE!!
Old 06-12-2000, 10:59 PM
Inactive User

Joe,

Good to see you found a shield. I hope it fits like everyone else says it will. Anyway, I was looking to put one in my Challenger and the places that I called said it wouldn't fit that only the blanket would.
Maybe that's the difference in the A and E bodies - go figure.

ART
Old 06-14-2000, 02:44 AM

Cool

No, I didn't get to the Mopar Alley show. I went to the one in Sac on Saturday. I hope it works! Let me know about any other good swap meets or shows comming up! Also, anyone need some small block or big block headers? I have about two to three sets of big block ones I want to get rid of. These are rusty, but will clean up and were given to me. I don't really want to get rid of the small block ones now, as I am going to need some, because they are ABody, as I think the big block ones are possibly also. Let me know. Joecuda
Old 06-14-2000, 04:26 PM
Inactive User

Joecuda, were you racing or showing a mopar at Sac raceway? If so, which car is yours? Just curious.
Old 06-15-2000, 01:33 AM

Thumbs up

No, I didn't bring my car. It is a 64 Barracuda Formula S (I know they didn't do the formula s in 64, but this car was combined with a 65 formula s to make it). It has 8 3/4 A body rear, four speed, putting in 410 Small Block stroker, Custom Interior, Custom Front Clip, Performance Big Block suspension, Front Disc Brakes, and lots more goodies. Write if interested. =) Joecuda
Old 06-19-2000, 09:26 PM
Inactive User

JOECUDA, Does the 410 smallblock stroker you are putting in use the new 4" stroke crank offered by Mopar Performance? Do you have it complete yet? If so which pistons did you use, where and how much did you have to clearance for the 4" stroke. Which block is it in 360? 340? I am very interested in seeing how much work it takes to fit this new monster crank into a 360 block. Any info would greatly be appreciated!