Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-19-2000, 03:51 AM
Inactive User

Question

I'm having my 440 drilled and tapped out to 1/2 npt.I have a 8 qt. aluminum charlies pan form mancini racing.The problem is i ordered the pickup from mancini and they sent a milidon for that pan,but all they did was take a standard 3/8 npt and cut the threaded end off and weld a 1/2 npt to it.I called them up find out what the deal was because,that defeats the purpose of drilling it out to a larger size if you are still using the same diameter pipe.They said that was the only 1/2 npt pickup made for those pans.Does anyone have any better ideas.This car is mostly for the street.If any one is considering using the cppa 2" diameter underchassis headers and is wondering about the clearance,we installed a gutted 440 in my car to see how everything fit.I bolted everything up to the motor and it looks great.The headers fit perfectly they are a little difficult putting in but once there on the studs there is plenty of room.I did have the steering colume out and i torched the existing motor mounts out for oil pump clearance on the drivers side.I'm running elephant ears and the mopar performance master cylinder.I also have the cast aluminum valve covers and they just clear the master cylinder and blower motor.They car had a 4 spd. but my 727 bolted right up to the existing transmission mount.I don't see how those conversion mounts will fit on the exsiting motor mounts without the oil pump hitting the drivers side mount?Thanks for any ideas on the pickup.
Old 06-19-2000, 05:59 PM
"BB Duster Maniac"

Demon, do you have any close-up detail photos of the install you could post, or possibly e-mail me? I am building a 440 '73 Duster, and I've heard good and bad things about every type of header for this application. Any help would be appreciated by me and others.
As far as that pickup, don't waste your time with it. Get one with a real 1/2" diameter tube.

------------------
www.mindspring.com/~dusterdave
Old 06-19-2000, 07:25 PM
Inactive User

hey demon-
According to schumacher's conversion manual, with their mounts the only cutting thats required is a notch out of the k-member. Unless you are running some wild size pump..??? give em a call, they are super friendly and helpfull with advice.
206-364-7151
As far as the oil pick-up , send it back for the right one. Mopar makes one but it might not be deep enough for your pan.

BBD
Old 06-19-2000, 11:55 PM
Inactive User

Hey duster dave,how do i post pictures on mopar chat?I have a buddie of mine with a digital camera and is reading up on building a web site for me but that might be a while.Any help would be appreciated.

scott
Old 06-20-2000, 01:36 AM
Inactive User

A PICK-UP IS EASILY MADE. THE TUBING CAN BE GOTTEN FROM A LOT OF DIFFERENT SHOPS, BUT ANY PLACE THAT DOES HYDRAULIC LINES IS SURE TO HAVE IT. USE A 1/2 OD LINE WITH A .188 WALL (OR CLOSE). THIS IS TOO THIN TO THREAD, BUT YOU JUST HAVE TO WELD ON A PIECE FROM A 1/2" STEEL NIPPLE (ALSO AVAILABLE FROM THE HYDRAULIC SHOP). WITH SOME CAREFUL MEASURING AND PATIENCE YOU CAN BEND THE TUBE USING A HAND BENDER (EXPENSIVE TO BUY UNLESS YOU USE ALOT, BUT CAN BE BORROWD OR RENTED FROM A SHOP). THE PICK-UP CAN ALSO BE MADE. ANY SHEET METAL SHOP WILL SUPPLY YOU WITH SOME 16 - 18 GAUGE SHEETING (A PIECE ABOUT 12 x 12 WILL DO). MAKE UP A BOX THAT IS 2"WIDE x 3"LONG x 1"HIGH. WELD THE CORNER SEAMS AND THE OPEN SIDE SHOULD HAVE SOME SCREENING BRAZED ON IT . YOUR PICK-UP TUBE GETS WELDED INTO THE 2" WIDE END. WHEN MEASURING THE DEPTH OF THE PAN AND PICK-UP, MAKE IT SO THAT THE BOTTOM OF THE PICK-UP IS 1/4" TO 3/8" OFF THE BOTTOM OF THE PAN. BE SURE TO TAKE THE THICKNESS OF THE PAN GASKET INTO CONSIDERATION. KEEP THE PICK-UP TOWARDS THE BACK OF THE PAN SO IT IS ALWAYS IMMERSED IN OIL, ESPECIALLY UNDER ACCELAERATION.