Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-06-2001, 11:06 PM
Inactive User

Question

Where can I find info on making a manual shift valve body on a 727 , older style cable shift 1965?? I want to do away with kickdown linkage. Thanks
Old 03-06-2001, 11:52 PM
Inactive User

Cool

You can do this two ways, pay 120 bucks and get a cheeta manual valve body from Summit. The other way is to get the Mopar Performance Chassis Manual. It tells you how to make the mods in there.
Old 03-07-2001, 01:20 AM

Default valve body

i don`t know if anybody make a reverse manual valve body for the cable style trans. the parts to do it your self from the mopar race manuals are no longer avalible. trans go and b/m and fairbacks make a kit to turn your into a forward manual valve body and no kickdown linkage used.
Old 03-07-2001, 02:09 PM
Inactive User

Default Manual valve body

Call Joe at Tranzact and tell him that I sent you. I know he can help, and he can come up with a tranny brake for those older ones too. (317)846-4933
Old 03-07-2001, 09:53 PM
Inactive User

Wink valvebody

Thanks bugeyed valiant, I see your from Mishawaka ! Do you ever make down to Bunkerhill dragstrip ? Maybe we'll meet some day . I'll be up your way next week to pick up my new car hauler at Bristol. Take care and thanks again for the reply ,I'll keep Joe at transzact in mind .
Old 03-07-2001, 10:37 PM
Inactive User

60's Moparman: Does Jim Hullinger still run Bunkerhill Dragway? I remember him from the late 60's to mid 70's. I used to live in the house that was at the end of the Drag strip when I was a kid.

To make the modifications yourself, you can use valve body separator plate 2538049 and transfer plate 2466307 if this were 1970 and those parts were still around. I would talk to Turbo Action about one of their valve bodies. I use one and it works good. I have also used one that I built myself and it worked good also.

If you go to a manual shift valve body, then :
1. No linkage from carburetor to transmission is needed.
2. 1st and 3rd are switched on the shifter
3. The governor is no longer needed and the complete assembly should be removed.
4. The rear pump is no longer used and should be removed.
5. The Park mechanism can be removed, but I think it is against the NHRA rules these days.

This information came from an old set of papers I got from an old MOPAR racer years ago.

Billy
Old 03-08-2001, 12:56 AM
Inactive User

Default Bunker Hill

I made it down there once last year. I dont like the track very much, but I am close to Osceola dragway. The owner died last year, but it keeps going stronger. It is a nice small town dragstrip, you should come up here one weekend.
Old 03-08-2001, 01:35 AM
Inactive User

Hey Bug, When does Oceola open?, i'm looking forward to racing a full season this year. I have some things to do on the duster, should not take much time.
Old 03-08-2001, 07:06 AM
Inactive User

Wink Trans

Thanks for the reply Billydelrio ! Jim Hullinger is no longer the owner or operator of Bunkerhill dragstrip , he and his wife sold it to Steve Daniels who I think hails from Ohio. Daniels have made alot of changes in the last two or three years and it's a pretty lively and thriving track. The house you lived in is still there, I don't know when or how long you lived there but you have to know my long time friend Roger Fike. By the way if you didn't know Jay Hullinger Jim's son Made it big time with NHRA maybe fifteen years ago, he is division three Director. well thanks again for the info I had amanual reversed v.b. along time ago but I let it get away from me. It was built by Max Harvey in Kokomo it was a terrific piece but I was young a too dumb to learn any thing from it .
Old 03-08-2001, 05:40 PM
Inactive User

60's Man: I lived in that house in the late 60's early 70's. If I remember right, The Hullingers lived in the house beside the one I lived in. I was only 4 to 6 years old at the time, but I remember picking up trash at the track after the races. I wish I could remember some of the things I saw in school as well as I remember that track.

I have a picture of Jay bouncing me on his knee. I remember him as tall and thin with glasses.

I picked up a 65 SB-727 cable shift at the flea market for $50 a few weeks ago. I will use it in my 66 Mustang I am building!

Billy
Old 03-08-2001, 08:54 PM
Inactive User

Default Why?

Hello, 60s Moparman.

Why do you want to do away with the 'kickdown' linkage? The TV linkage (TV stands for 'Throttle Valve') does a whole lot more than kickdown. It controls line pressure rise according to throttle opening (and thus engine load) as well as the shift points. Here's why: at light to medium throttle, the transmission requires less pressure than at full load (WOT). Less pressure means less wear on the pump and less chance of breakage. I've seen low/reverse servos break, kickdown band struts bend, and clutch pistons crack with high line pressure. That's why the linkage is there in the first place.
Secondly, if you buy a Cheetah manual reverse valve body, it says on the box and in the instructions "not to be used on the street." know why? Because in low range, the low servo is not applied. This means you have NO ENGINE BRAKING in low! Ever have a brake system failure? I have, and manual low saved my a**! Try stopping a car without brakes and no engine braking, and you'll see what I mean. And that 'my emergency brake works" only helps if there's something left of them -- I've had the hold down spring retainers fail on the rear brakes and then the rear brakes didn't work anymore.

If you are having trouble with the linkage or lack thereof, there are several options available to you. The parts are still available -- the small block three piece setup reappeared on the late platforms -- New Yorker 5th Ave, Diplomat, Gran Fury - through 1989. Those are still filling salvage yards. If you have changed to an aftermarket intake, Lokar makes a cable kit, or you can adapt a STOCK cable setup off any late (92 -up) truck or van. Those are definitely still in the 'yards. Fab a bracket at the carb. end and use all the stock stuff at the trans. end. I did this on my 440 Satellite and have much better geometry. If you still have a rod setup for the accelerator pedal, get a later cable setup, pedal, bracket and all, and you'll be able to upgrade it all at once. As far as the shifter goes, if you are using the pushbuttons, the reverse pattern is a moot point.

Have I helped any?

Ben
Old 03-08-2001, 09:59 PM
Inactive User

Default Osceola

Hey Ben440,

I know that I may catch flack from this, but the reason that 60sMoparman wants to do away with the throttle linkage is that he is using a LIMITED street use motor, or it is a race car. I have ran a manual valve body in my car for about 5 yrs now with no problem. I had A LOT of problems with my 904s until I put a manual valve body in it. That cured my tranny woes. Hey Motorhead, Osceola usually opens the week after Easter. The first two weeks are usually test and tune, but since Art died, I dont know how they will run it now. Art used to go to Florida in the winter, but Ruth stayed up here this winter, so I dont know what is going to happen. I also heard rumors that it may become an IHRA track this year with guardrails and a lot of improvements. This is just a rumor though. And off the tranny subject again, IRP is doing a complete resurfacing of the track. WOW!!!!!
Old 03-08-2001, 10:53 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up tranny

Hey Ben440Brown: Bug Eyed Valiant is correct , I have no need for regulated pressure because it is a race vehicle . And by the way you are correct in your info and thanks for the input
Old 03-10-2001, 02:10 AM
Inactive User

Turbo Action stills sells the manual valve body for the cable shift.