Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Circle Track Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-07-2001, 05:41 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Would like to hear from all you guys concerning your race plans for 2001. I know I am chaffing at the bit to turn the DODGE late model loose. We have practice on March 31st. First points race on April 7th.,weekly thereafter. Maybe we could all post our results on a weekly basis. I know last year I felt better knowing I wasn't the only one that did DUMB things.Waiting to hear from all of you.
'THE OLD MAN'
Old 03-07-2001, 09:25 PM
Inactive User

Our first race in the truck will be Las Wages, I mean Las Vegas. They repaved the track and I heard it is lightning fast! I took my chassis to a professional to set everything up and to check it out. New heads are in place in hopes of making more power.
In a couple of weeks we will see if it works.

I agree on all of us posting our results, we all may learn a thing or two.

Michael
Old 03-07-2001, 11:13 PM
Inactive User

Question

just the l/m results or all, you guys must be quick.just asking. thanks
Old 03-08-2001, 12:23 AM
Inactive User

Default Are we Ready to Race?

We all do dumb things. We do try not to do the SAME dumb thing twice. We are ready to go, practiced two weeks ago, rained out last week. Basically haven't changed anything, same chassis, body and little 358" engine. Track will have some tack in it during time trials, get slick into the feature, maybe take a little rubber toward the end. There will be about 30-35 super lates there, we should be OK.
Old 03-08-2001, 03:18 PM
Inactive User

Default Ready to go!

Greetings from sunny and warm Arizona! Our first race is on March 31st at Tucson Raceway Park. The Grand American Modified #70 is almost ready to go, but I'm still finding hidden damage from a major crash that abruptly ended our 2000 season.
Believe it or not, I somehow convinced the track officials to loosen up a little on the W2 head restrictions this year and I think now we can run with the 358 Chevy's.
Have you guys noticed how all the headlines state that Mopar has finally returned to NASCAR?! Guess they forgot that many of us have run Dodges in the NASCAR Weekly Racing Series for quite a few years now.
Good luck to everybody across the rest of the nation, and I hope the warm weather gets to you guys up north soon!

-Jeff
Old 03-08-2001, 06:46 PM
Inactive User

Wink

Fury 66,
Every one is welcome to post on this subject. I personally am interested in late models. I have learned a lot from last years posts. The trials and tribulations of our racing group here has only made me try harder to excell in this sport. I don't really know what the hell I am doing all of the time, but I continually try to learn. It is amazing how the mention of a radiator over heating problem etc. can bring about so many different ways of curing the problem. It just seems that there is always something to learn, weather you run a street stock,late model or modified. Welcome aboard.
Old 03-08-2001, 06:53 PM

Unhappy

Its cold up here in N Michigan but the garage is heated so the Mod is done and ready to go except for the usual pre race checks. new "408" is broken in and the setup is done just need some new tires . Maybe in a month or so will have a chance to find out if I can hookup the power. see ya at the track in april.. Dan
Old 03-08-2001, 06:58 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Last year I raced an 88 Gran Fury with a 318 904 combo. This year I am running a 68 Coronet with a 360 904 combo. My sister is driving the fury all to herself this year (last year I raced it one track and she raced it at another) Last year I did not win a race for the first time in 3 years and I learned alot about racing last year. Iam working with Mc Donalds as a sponsor right now so hopefully that goes through.
The block was bored sunday and the torque plates are on and it is getting the final of the honing hopefully this week to 30 over. I was bidding on a set of wiseco pistons on Ebay and I had the high bid for a few days up to one second left to go and a guy out bid me by a dollar. I hope that the pistons go bad and he has a major disaster with his motor. I was mad as heck when I saw him do it with one second to go. It was the first time I had this happen to me on Ebay. Oh well I really didnt need forged pistons anyways!!!!
Racing starts in may so I have a long time to go yet. I am so jealous of people that are already racing.
Old 03-08-2001, 11:35 PM
Inactive User

Smile

thanks 355, maybe one of these days i'll be able to crawl into a latemodel. watched them a month ago in lakeland FL.1/2 mile ,SMOKIN FAST. good luck ,i learned a whole bunch already,alot to take in . lol.
Old 03-09-2001, 12:38 PM
Inactive User

I had my street stock Duster dialed in at our Xmas Charity race after fixing the damage from kissing the wall in last year's championship race. I was passing some knucklehead in a Camaro off turn two on when he decided to catch my right rear quarter and send me into the wall (again).

So, I've got some front bumper and frame rail damage to fix (luckily it's all in front of the suspension this time!). We went to a aluminum dual plane only intake rule so I got a Edelbrock Air Gapper to put on. I'm also changing out the radiator (that I run in the back) with a Griffin 1.25 inch tube double pass job. I was getting too warm last year.

I also run the race track, so tomorrow I'll be hauling in new material, next week fixing the lights and the weekend after that building a new retaining wall on the back straight. I'm very busy, but the good part is that if you want to run a Mopar friendly track, I've got it!
Old 03-11-2001, 11:17 PM

I spent the better part of two days at the end of last season prepping the car for a year ending run. A couple of things didn't go well and we didn't race, so it is just that much more ready for this years fun. I still would like to re-skin the car, but that really doesn't take that long. We start in mid April if all the snow goes away. It is forcasted to snow againt his week, once tonight and again on Thursday. I ride snowmobile so it kind of a mixed deal with me. I assume I will get one more ride this winter before Mr. Sun shows up again. The mid April date is rather optimistic according to some of the people that have visited the track. It is under about 3 feet of snow as I write this.

Off track I still am working on putting together a local dirt track and drag track(there's nothing like seeing guys running in high heels and skirts). I have two engines to work on yet this spring. A third if the machine work gets done on my buddies 500 cid killer(800+ hp). I plan to pick up a frame jig this up coming weekend and continue the transition into car builder, engine builder and fuel supplier. I will keep you posted on the progress of everything that is going on.
Old 03-12-2001, 02:21 AM
Inactive User

Default Are we ready to race?

We ran this weekend, didn't do too well. Qualified 9th out 31 Super Late Models, got up to 3d in the feature, the driver(my son) had a brain fart on a restart(his comment), fell back to 8th, finished 5th. Oh well, all the body parts were still on, the engine ran 210 water, 210 oil and we didn't hurt anything except a rear quarter. We were playing with some new suspension components and we need to do a little more work to calm the car down. We tended to carry the left front wheel too far into the turn before he set it down. Got to get it down about the flagstand. Does make a good crowd pleaser though.
Old 03-13-2001, 06:56 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

were just about ready waiting for motor to come back from eng shop hope we all do good this year for i had no past luck but believe we got the right combo this year last 3 years ran a stock 340 with w-2 heads up again 6000 dollar chevy 406's we built the 340 this time does anyone think this motor will make good horsepower 340+30 with MP 4"cast strocker crank eagle h beem rods, dim pistons,flywheel weight 13 pounds unit is balanced MP 541 solid lift cam circle track, w-2 heads 202 pro flow valves harland sharps 1.5 roller rocker mod 2 barrel intake and mod 500 holley carb run a 3 speed stock trans nine inch rear with 6.33 gears track is 3/8 to a little less than 1/2 anybody else build a 408 or 416 motor using this crank well i wish everbody racing a mopar good luck this year
Old 03-16-2001, 11:01 PM
Inactive User

Cool Ready to race?

Went to fire up the late model last night and the battery was dead. Replaced the battery today,and cranked it over. WOW ,what a sound. The DODGE was breathing healthy. I couldn't breathe with that alcohol exhaust smell in the barn. Went outside and was amazed at how loud it was,also at the sight of several cars stopped on the street wondering where the noise was coming from.I can't wait till the March 31st practice secession. It's two weeks away and my adrenelin is already in high gear. Keep your feedback coming guys.HAPPY MOPARING. 'The old man'
Old 03-18-2001, 08:21 PM
Inactive User

Practice on march 3rd,all the changes we made over winter kind of screwed up our normal set up. Went back and made some more changes, first race of season last sat nite, was tight,change tire pressures,car was very decent in hot laps. Made it about 5 laps into heat race when transmission puked!!!
oh well! loaded it on the trailer & watch the race,drank some beers,couple of hamburgers,went home, will do better next week.
see yaa
avenger
Old 03-19-2001, 04:26 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

started on the pole w/ the big 440,went all the way back cause i got pushed to outside by a camaro.anyway finished tenth last week 15 lapper,13 th this week 35 lapper out of 18 cars,just not handling the best yet,but its getting much better ,only my third race.give it time ,this 66 will be in top five. good luck all. " that camaro will get the black paint this week" lol.
Old 03-25-2001, 04:22 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up ready to rumble---almost

355 racer

the new metal is on, motor built, spare parts galore all organised, first race is may 13 (mothers day) ironic huh. with any luck my last sponsor will come through and it will be time to show them chev and ford boys what mopar muscle really means..........big words from the only dodge in a field of 40
Old 03-25-2001, 11:21 PM
Inactive User

Our little 358" Mopar is running well. Came off track last night after feature- water was 210(radiator 30% blocked), oil was 180, turned 8700. No problem with HP. Our new frame has not limbered up yet, still too stiff. Softer springs/ shocks don't compensate enough. Car works great when track is rubbered up, our problem is qualifying, about .2 second slow, put us 10th last night, finished 7th. Still thrashing.
Old 03-31-2001, 03:13 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down

I hope this is not going to be a repeat of last springs weather. Our Sat. practice was "RAINED OUT" . BUMMER,BUMMER,BUMMER.BUMMER,BUMMER,BUMMER.
Guess i'll go sulk for awhile.
Old 04-07-2001, 04:51 PM
Inactive User

Angry

Guys, I can't believe it,another rainout. This is a very,very, very stressful situation for a senior citizen. Without my racing fix, I am prone to be a cranky old man, ask my wife. The only hope I have this week is to hear some feedback about how you guys did with your machines, and hope that someone kicked some butt.
'THE OLD MAN'
Old 04-09-2001, 12:54 AM
Inactive User

Harry, I understand the rainout blues. But, our weather was nice, highs in the low 80s, sorta windy but a good day anyway.

We still got a little ways to go. Qualified 9th(.192sec. off pole), finished 6th. Engine is fine, 210 water, 190 oil after 25 laps, turned 8400, Oberg looks fine. Got to keep working to find that .200 sec.

We are the Super Late Model points leader after four races but that won't last when we start traveling later in the summer.
Old 04-09-2001, 05:36 PM
Inactive User

Cool

Sanborn, that last sentence put a smile on my face. Keep up the good work.
What did the rest of you Moparites due this week??
Harry
Old 04-09-2001, 08:52 PM
Inactive User

Default 1st outing this year

Saturday night was the first time out since our BIG wreck last year. 8 months of work and 8 months of being out of the car. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I was a tad uncomfortable. One never knows how a heavily damaged and rebuilt car is going to respond. Did I fix everything? Did I miss something? Are all the nuts and bolts tight? Does the motor have hidden problems? And I for one was very rusty behind the wheel. And a little anxious. I was knocked unconscious with some memory loss in the wreck and it seemed to leave me doubting my own abilities.
But being a Dodge racer, and knowing only the hard road, my only avenue was to get back on the horse and try my best.
The track spent 3.5 hours "tech-ing" my car so we missed all the practice sessions. Terrific. Now my first laps are going to be in the heat race. We started 7th and finished 7th. Whew. I felt a little better, but very cognizant of every little odd noise coming from the car.
The Crew Chief wondered why our tire temps were so low, until I explained that I wasn't pushing the car very hard. She commented how that now explained the miserable lap times as well. Hmmm...
We put a little sway bar pre-load in and got ready for the main. Started 14th and finished 14th. The car was a little loose, but I predict that was from running last years' tires. In closing, I considered the night nothing more than a practice and re-familiarization session. But I would say a successful one. I did begin to feel more comfortable halfway through the main. And I felt the enormous burden that I have placed on my shoulders once again removed when I shut the car off at the end of the nights activities.
Whew!
Agreed. A real racer knows his limits…….. but I can't wait to start pushing mine again!

Adios!

PS….. no rain out here for at least 6 more mont
Old 04-09-2001, 10:05 PM
Inactive User

Smile

well i gotta say it !! 1 for the dodge boys here !! ya i won the feature here of course there were only 10 cars total but led every lap and the one that counts !! only superstock mopar in the field ! car was loose off but quick enough to keep them chevys behind !!
hope more of us win !!
david
Old 04-10-2001, 12:44 AM
Inactive User

A win is a win, is a win, is a win, is a win no matter if there are 2 cars or 80 cars in the field. You were the baddest one that night. Now, go to work to make it faster for next week so you can win another one.
Old 04-11-2001, 05:19 PM

Default test&tune

Well went to my first test&tune . Was getting real ancy to get on the track. track was dryslick in 1&2 and taking rubber in 3&4 . the 408 ran great and had to be real easy on the gas. developed an oil pan gasket leak so have to get rid of the one piece gasket and go back to the tried and true multi piece. first race is this weekend if the rain holds off. let you know how we do next week.
Old 04-11-2001, 05:32 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

GOT FIRST PRACTICE SESSION 4/21.CAR IS READY WITH THE SMALL ENGINE IN.BIG ENGINE WILL BE DONE IN A COUPLE WEEKS.WE RUN 2000 AVENGER IN THE SUPERSTOCK CLASS.MOVING UP A CLASS FROM LAST YEARS CHAMPIONSHIP RUN.SPONSERS CAME THROUGH WITH ABOUT $4000 WHICH HELPED A BUNCH.WHERE TRYING A LATEMODEL SETUP IN OUR SUPER,ALL THE CHEVS USE THE OLD SQUAT SETUP.HOPING TO HOOK OUR 600+HP 360 UP,AND LEAVE THE CHEVS IN THE DUST.MUST RUN A TRACK TIRE,SO HOOKING UP CAN BE HARD WITH SO MUCH TORQUE.EVERNHAM PERFORMANCE PARTS CAME THROUGH WITH SOME HOT ENGINE PARTS.HOPING TO PURCHASE A SPRINT CAR IN THE NEAR FUTURE,AND GET OUR HANDS IN THAT.DRIVERS GOT SOME SKILL AND PATIENCE,HOPING TO BE RUNNING FOR ANOTHER CHAMPIONSHIP.

GOOD LUCK I'LL KEEP YA UPDATED

TOP RUNNING CHEVS ARE ALWAYS CHEATING.......

#15 SUPERSTOCK AVENGER CHECK THIS PIC OUT
Old 04-12-2001, 11:43 PM
Inactive User

We haven't even had our test and tune day yet. It'll be a week from this Saturday and I've been busy getting the track ready. Had a major set back this evening though. I was watering the track with "Old Betsy," a 5000 gallon capacity '62 Peterbuilt when it died on me coming out of turn two.

I'm thinking it overheated, but the temp gauge was showing only 180. Smoke and steam was coming from lots of different places on the engine, though, and there was a lack of coolant in the radiator. Ooops.

It acted like it seized up, but the starter kicked it over a couple of times and then wouldn't turn it at all. I figured I'd just let it cool off over night sitting there dripping water and hope it fires in the A.M. Wish me luck!
Old 04-15-2001, 09:45 AM

Default friday 13 th

Got our first nite in dispite 2" of rain during the week. track was dusty slick can you beleave it? 27 mods showed up and could only muster a 15th starting spot "408" is way more than you need for slick tracks. everyone was rusty from the time off and I got turned around early in the feature,got it back on the track after 5or 6 cars went past. everyone was running right on the bottom and if you got out of the groove you lost spots. was able to get back up to 12th by the end. lesson for the day-work on better qualifing. Will be 3 weeks before I can test the motor on a (power) track. I hope to come off with a big grin on my face. See ya at the races.
Old 04-15-2001, 12:13 PM
Inactive User

Missed a race took youngest to her first winston cup race in dallas,we had a blast. last nite second dnf of season, qualified on pole, running second until last few laps when right axle snapped sending me to the wall.
not sure how i manage to keep it on it's wheels or off the wall, musn't of been opening my eyes at the right time. lol
of well, couple of hamburgers,fries and a beer and went home.
will do it again next week!!!

ps. car was awsome
avenger