Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-08-2001, 12:14 AM
Inactive User

Question

have a 74 cuda, 72 340 -6 pak
as of present it has the stock x heads, cam dont know, am putting in a 6AL MSD box this monthand may a msd billet distributor,currently has hooker super comp headers, 727 trans
running bosch plat. plugs , holley 9mm wires and an edelbrock manifold
just looking for info what to do next?
planning on putting on alum performer heads or mopars, roller rockers. i dont know what the best cam for me for a street racer.
any help would be appreciated,
thanks
ed
Old 03-08-2001, 08:08 PM

I dont have alot of specifics on what you have but from face value, If it were me I would first look at the cam. I bought a hydrolic from Hughes. They have excellent cams and have a few that would work wonders with your setup. Roller rockers are an option but if your rocker setup is in good shape there are other place for the money.
If you havent freshened up the heads or dont know what your CR is then when you're waiting for the cam, I'd remove the heads, CC them (cut if necessary) to achieve about a 9.5 CR if you keep the X heads and possibly have them mildly ported. Maybe gasket match the ports also. Light blending in the bowls and the gasket match you could easily do yourself.
I would then look at the Torque Converter and gear selection to go with this setup. This combo would depend on your main use.....good luck....Dave
Old 03-09-2001, 09:41 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

3406pak;

Tryed to E-mail you.

Before you change out a set of heads, your going to need to know your compres. ratio. And what ratio you intend to have after the swap. MoPar heads have more cc's than the Edel. heads. You can take a loss off cc's on the Edel. head because there Alum. rather than iron.
As far as the cam is concerned, you'll have to pick the new cam based on the RPM range you want to perform in. Go to Hughes like DAVE JONES said. Real good site. Call them to get the best selection. They can recomend a cam for the street for you. You'll also have to tell them the trans and gear ratio you'll be running.
The Hooker Super comps are on the radical side. There not exactly an off idle header. So that new cam should work better than what could be a stock unit.
The converter should match and the rear ratio should be looser.
I would not suggest the MSD distributor becuse it dosn't have a vac. adv. unit on it. It will hurt street MPG's alot. Theres not a thing wrong with the MoPar unit.
Roller rockers are alot. There good for a few ponnies. Buy them if ya want them. There better suited for solid or roller cams. Nothing wrong with use on a hyd. cam. Just that if nothings wrong with the stock units or their replacements, its a large expense you can use else where.