Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-21-1999, 06:37 PM
Inactive User

HERES A GOOD ONE FOR EVERYONE, SINCE I'M USING MOTOR PLATES, COMP ENGINEERING #4008 OR #4009, I'M NOT SURE WHICH, DO I NEED TO MACHINE BACK 0F PUMP HOUSING FOR PULLEY ALIGNMENT, TO COMPENSATE FOR THICKNESS OF PLATES? THE PLATES ARE .260" THICK. FROM THE LOOKS OF THE PUMP HOUSINGS, (I HAVE TWO, 69 440 LEFT OUTLET, 73 400 RIGHT OUTLET) I WILL LOOSE THE SHAPE OF THE PASSAGE HOLE BY MILLING THIS MUCH OFF. THERES ALOT OF MATERIAL AROUND THE HOLES ON THE PLATES. HELP!!!!
Old 07-22-1999, 02:36 AM
Inactive User

I wouldn't mill the pump either.One of two things....either space out the crank pulley a like amount or find a junkyard and use a pulley that will put your belt where you need it.Maybe off a 440 A/C car??? I have used a spacer for the crank pulley and it worked fine.But why are you using a crank pulley on a race car???

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited July 21, 1999).]
Old 07-22-1999, 05:47 AM
Inactive User

CHRISTOPHER, THE 440 THAT I'M USING IS AN AC ENGINE. DON'T I NEED ALT. AND FAN? I WOULD LIKE TO RUN ON STREET ONCE IN A WHILE. I DON'T LIKE THE IDEA OF HAVING A CRANK PULLEY WITH FOUR GROOVES THOUGH. EVENTUALLY I PLAN TO BUY ALUM PULLEYS FROM MARCH. WOULD'NT I NEED TO SWITCH TO AN ELECTRIC PUMP IF I ELIMINATE CRANK PULLEY? MY BUDJIT IS TIGHT SO I'VE BEEN CONCENTRATING ON SUSPENSION, TRANS, BRAKES ECT.. . THROW SOME IDEAS MY WAY, I'M STILL NEW AT THIS RACE CAR STUFF, I WOULD LIKE TO DO THINGS RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, AND IF I CAN'T, I WILL WAIT UNTIL I CAN. THANKS
Old 07-22-1999, 11:11 PM
Inactive User

If it's a race car would look at getting an electric water pump. Moroso's has so many bolts and spacers in their kit that no matter what your set up is you can find a combination that will work. Electric fans are pretty easy to come by. I got mine at a salvage yard for 10 bucks or you can spend a lot more at Summit. (I think mine came off a Subaru.) If you go for a used fan, check and see if it pulls or pushes air. Sometimes fans are designed for a specfic direction. You need to see if you can incorporate it into your shroud or be able to bend one out of aluminum. Just strapping it on is OK but you miss out on the efficiency of using the whole radiator. I run alcohal so I use the electric fan and pump to get my motor to operating temperature by leaving them off until the desired temp is achieved.
Old 07-23-1999, 05:48 AM
Inactive User

I TALKED WITH A FREIND TODAY AND HE SAID I CAN RUN ELEC. WATER PUMP AND ALT OFF OF ELEC WATER PUMP. THIS DOES NOT SOUND RIGHT TO ME, IS THIS POSSIBLE OR DO I NEED A DIFFERENT SET UP? LIKE I MENTIONED BEFORE I WOULD LIKE TO RUN ON STREET FROM TIME TO TIME.
Old 07-24-1999, 12:04 AM
Inactive User

I don't think I would run an alternator off of an electric water pump. Mine is mounted low and out of the way and ran off the crank. You can even mount some itty bitty foreign job out of the way to save weight. Plus you can install them backwards if space or cross members or plates are in the way.I have seen them on drive shafts mounted close to the rear end. I don't like them there but it really cleans up the engine compartment. The drive shaft mount works best for show cars that drive to and from events. A race car doesn't really get enough time even if the alternator is mounted in a conventional position. I still charge my battery between rounds. MSD's do not like low voltage, and it will show in your ET.
Old 07-24-1999, 03:38 AM
Inactive User

If you are going to drive this car on the street,you'll need a complete 3 pulley setup(crank,water pump,alt.)I still recommend that you space out the crank pulley to do this.It will not upset the balance of the engine.It's the easiest way.You can eliminate the fan on the front of the water pump and run a electric fan.You cannot drive the alternator off of a water pump drive kit.Do not run a electric water pump motor all the time,you'll burn up the motor as they are not for extended use.If you HAVE to do it that way,I'd use a heater blower motor assy.I like the March pulley setup,and I'd recommend using the "serpentine"belt drive kit.(it's actually a 5 groove belt and pulley setup)This will reduce throwing the belt at high speed.